“Lovely setting, disappointed by the cake...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Perrywood Coffee Shop
Ranked #1 of 1 Coffee & Tea in Inworth
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Great Dunmow, United Kingdom
“Lovely setting, disappointed by the cake...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

I visit Perrywood's Coffee Shop every so often and will continue to do so as it's situated in a lovely garden centre and the view from the conservatory in the coffe shop is amazing (makes you forget you're in Essex!). The refurb looks really nice too.

That being said, on my last trip, I went to order a cake and my companion enquired whether the filling in the cake was indeed, real buttercream. The lady serving us retorted: "What do you mean real buttercream?". I said: "well not some kind of icing or frosting". She then went off to ask the kitchen what the buttercream was made of, only to come back and say it was made with Stork! (Stork being the margarine you would use to cook a cake, not make a BUTTERcream out of). We were all a bit surprised by this... buttercream should be made with butter, icing sugar, some kind of flavouring (vanilla, cocoa powder, coffee or whatever goes with the cake) and sometimes a little milk to loosen it up. I have noticed that since the recession, cafes/coffee shops and other eating establishements, seem to be trying to cut costs by making their fillings with margarine or just icing, instead of the real deal. It's a shame because I know Perrywood do actually make their own cakes (which is not always the case) and that is a definite plus point when going out for a treat.

Unfortunately, the lady serving did not automatically offer to exchange the cake for another option - seeing as we had actually enquired before she served the cake, and she had not gone off to find out until after she had cut it and plated it up. I was going to just stick with it as I felt quite uncomfortable - there was a queue of people standing behind us waiting. As I really didn't want to eat a load of raw Stork, my companion asked if I could have something else. The lady serving was gracious enough to give me a different option when my companion asked for it, which I appreciated and tasted very nice.

Having eaten lunch here several times before, I would echo the comment someone made earlier: it would be nice to have a hot vegetable option to go with the main courses. The lunch options listed when I was there the other day having my afternoon tea, sounded delicious, so we will be back!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank ShoshannaVered

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Ok but expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

The food here is ok but very expensive, you can pay over £4.50 for a slice of cheesecake. On a whole it is a pretty nice place to stop off though.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank harry w
bourneo, Public Relations Manager at Perrywood Coffee Shop, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for your review. We aim to keep prices as low as feasibly possible for high quality produce, whilst providing generous portions of homemade food. The majority of our customers feel they receive value for money.
Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“scrummy food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

nice home made food, but does get too crowded I think its a local meeting place . nice cakes, savorys etc

Visited April 2013
We're glad you liked our food! The coffee shop is very popular. Many locals like to meet up with friends and enjoy the home cooked food, as do customers travelling from afar. We like to think that this reflects a vibrant atmosphere.
Brightlingsea, United Kingdom
“very helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

the garden center was very busy but there was so many members of staff there was no waiting for advice. Staff very helpful and very knowledgeable
lovely Easter display with lots of unusual things to buy

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank teresa s
Thank you for your comments. We always try and ensure our staff are on-hand to help, and we pride ourselves on our seasonal displays. We hope to see you again soon!
North Essex, U.K.
“:-) Smiling Faces :-)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

The Coffee Shop has had a part-make-over - ever trying to keep one step ahead of the game.
It was all done quickly and efficiently, with minimal distruption to customers and everyone needs congratulating. Dare say some regulars had a moan but 'hey ho' .... :-) .... it is the staff and food that are the constants here and we've never been disappointed with either. We love visiting and being greeted with smiling faces. Smart new toilets into the bargain. Keep up the good work!!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Traveller51_11
Many thanks for your feedback. We're very proud of the way our staff coped during the coffee shop refurbishment. We've been delighted with the many positive comments received. Our aim is to make every area of the centre an enjoyable experience and ensure that any changes are for the benefit of our customers.