“A lovely place for sunday lunch”
Review of The Queens Head

The Queens Head
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Harston
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We offer a vast variety of excellent Thai food with lunchtime specials from £8.99 to £9.99 for two courses or pick from the main menu. Monday,Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings we off two courses for £10.00 or £12.00 depending on meats and fish chosen, or again from the main menu.Come and visit the best Thai food restaurant in and around Cambridge.
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Friendly, welcoming staff, food hot & tasty, lovely presentation, & a small problem with a dessert not being up to standard was quickly & efficiently put right. Really enjoyed it, thanks everyone.

1  Thank mumsy01
qhharston, Manager at The Queens Head, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Many thanks for your kind words.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

I went for Sunday lunch with my partner, the staff were lovely and very enthusiastic. The food however, was awful. I couldn't get to my prawn cocktail starter as it was in a tall ice cream Sunday glass, the roast was huge, and burnt! The meat was so dry, the potatoes and parsnip were black, the Yorkshire was from a freezer, and for some reason there was lumpy mash as well. My partner had lasagne, which he described as mush that had obviously been cooked far too long, barely any sauce and a mountain of cheese. The only reason we paid was because the girls who served us were lovely.

qhharston, Manager at The Queens Head, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Hi.

Many thanks for your informative review. I am very sorry to hear you had such a terrible experience in The Queen's Head. As the manager, my job on a Sunday is to ensure food is of the highest standard. I stood for most of Sunday at the pass, where the food is placed before serving. I check every plate going out and my girls out front are trained to ask all customers during their meal if everything is okay with their food, once after roughly 2 minutes and then again just after main courses are served. Staff are also trained to report back any incidences of complaint immediately so as to rectify mistakes quickly(we are human after all). So you can imagine my surprise at your review as we received no complaints at all on Sunday and the kitchen staff all noted the amount of empty plates coming back into the kitchen. If you let our staff know at the time about any problems then we can sort it out there and then.

Just to be clear I would never let a burnt item get near a plate let alone into the restaurant at a table. Our roast potatoes are crispy, our parsnips are caramelised with honey and our portion sizes are generous. To be fair, our Yorkshire Puddings had been bought in from a supplier, but as of this coming weekend we are able to make them on site.

Thank you for the lovely comments about my staff. They will be pleased to hear that you thought the service was great.

If you do happen to stop by again please let us know so we can try and make up for your "awful" lunch. If you do have any more complaints though, we would appreciate you told us in person at the time rather than leaving such a scathing review, because in all honesty it really hurts our feelings.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Had lunch (family of 3) on Saturday and were not pleased
The food took an hour to arrive, when it did the Nachos had unmelted cheese and the rest was just as poor

There was a sign that it was under new management...may have something to do with
If this is the case previous reviews are not really relevant.

1  Thank Samal
qhharston, Manager at The Queens Head, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Hi Samal. Many thanks for your feedback. We decided to give our head chef a day off last weekend(bad decision!) and I was personally in the kitchen so apologies for your meal. The long wait was due to our oven breaking during service(first day in kitchen nightmare), our staff did let everyone know about the wait and we had no complaints back at the time. If you could get in touch by telephone or email we would love to hear from you and arrange for you to try us again. We took over on the 6th January and have since updated the menus, wine lists, etc and are just hitting our stride. Please don't let this experience put you off and do get in touch. Regards Hazel

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Have eaten here twice in the space of two days, as the food and service are outstanding. Generous portions of well cooked food, and well presented on hot, pre-heated plates. This place does all the basics well, which is not commonly found elsewhere.
Shame (for us) this place is in Harston and not in Scotland.
Will definitely be back here, next time we are down visiting our family.

1  Thank Madge F
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Popped in for a midweek evening drink , was warm and welcoming, nicely decorated. Service was a wee bit slow but quite a nice country pub to while away some time.

1  Thank MatthewVH