“great holiday”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in El Toyo
Durham, United Kingdom
“great holiday”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Iam a seasoned traveller,with years of experience in all rates of hotels,and as always-I read the reviews for this hotel-although I take everything with a pinch of salt,as I know what moaners some people can be,and believe me,they are certainly moaners in this case..No the hotel is not perfect,but none ever are,certainly not in my experience,but in this instance,I can honestly say,this hotel is really nice,the staff are always cheerful,pleasant,and extremely helpful.the entertainment team work hard to keep everyone entertained,yes they cater for spanish guests too.as they do in a lot of hotels I have stayed in,but so what,from what I could see,everyone was having a great time.the food was good,service was always with a smile,rooms were cleaned frequently,with fresh linen and towels every day..no there was no wifi,but your on hol for goodness sake,we managed without it years ago,this hotel is a total chill out,the area is lovely,and perfect for couples and families.I think some people just read a few negatives on here,then are determined to find something wrong when they get there.if people have a genuine complaint,then they need to deal with properly,shouting at the staff or the rep,(which I sadly witnessed) is out of order,its not there fault if your plane is delayed,or you lose your underwear,my air con broke down,and within half an hour of me reporting it,it was fixed,the thomas cook rep was pleasant,helpul,and extremely efficient, and although she isnt always on duty all day as I believe they all work more than one hotel, she is a phone call away if needed and from what I seen,she certainly doesnt have "an easy job".all of the staff work extremely long hours,and still manage to smile. from the cleaners-to management,hats off to them is what I say,you are there to enjoy yourselves,.my two daughters had a great time,and have requested to go back next year,basicaly this holiday does what it says on the tin.clean, lovely rooms,great view of the pool,good food,good entertainment,lovely area.great weather,all you need

5 Thank snuffy190832
Garden H, Gerente at SunConnect Cabogata Garden, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear Guest

Just let you know how pleasant for us it is to read from you , you had a great holidays .This is our main goal.
Nice of you to mentione our staff .They do their best to give our guests a good service making special attention to human relations so thwey can feel at home .

In the other hand we are working hard every day to improve our services and catering and cleaning are our priority ..Thank you for let us know you have been satisfied on that matters .it is really important for us and for Thomas Cook.
As you remark in your review we wait for you nest year at Cabogata Garden Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Czech first
walsall, UK
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying we are seasoned travellers. We have stopped in some really basic 3 star hotels and also have stayed at 5 star hotels. We go on holiday with an open mind and believe that a holiday is what you make of it. We do NOT moan for the sake of it. We have never given any hotel less than 3 stars on Tripadvisor and thought we never would!!

However, this hotel could be so much better!! Let me start by saying the building is brilliant. Rooms were large and comfortable, good facilities and a massive balcony. Brilliant pool and sea view. The fridge and air-con was very welcome, as was the free water left by the maid every morning. Both pools have lifeguards from 10-7. Sunbeds washed down every morning. Cleanliness of the hotel was to a high standard. The salad bar in the restaurant was great, as was the bread counter. The cakes and desserts were to die for.

Unfortunately the bad points far outweigh the good. Not sure where to start. The rep, Marcia, was never there. Sunday she ran the welcome meeting for new guests, but no hours for current guests. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday you had to phone to make an appointment - but when we did we were told to wait till Friday as she would not come to the hotel to see us. Thursday it was airport duty day. Friday was a welcome meeting for new guests then time set aside for current guests. Saturday was her day off!! We asked a simple question about beach towels and were told she would only answer at the meeting. Other guests were told that as they had not attended the welcome meeting she would not help them with their problem!!

I had an issue that 3 days after my arrival my nightdress went missing. We assume it was taken when the sheets were changed. I immediately reported it to reception, they were very helpful but said I had to wait 2 days for the laundry to come back. I spoke to the French rep who said he would tell Marcia for us. 2 days later my nightdress wasn't in the laundry so then phoned Marcia. She knew about the situation but told me she would see me on Friday (2 or 3 days later). I went away for 14 nights and my nightdress never materialised!!

Food was never consistent. Some days it was fine, but other days not so good. One morning the yogurt was hot and the baked beans were cold. Sausages were sometimes not cooked properly. Scrambled egg was NOT scrambled. We also found something I eat but it was sometimes a struggle!

The drinks were ok. The Spanish guests seemed to get better measures though!!

Entertainment was ok some nights. Parrot shows, Spanish dancers were good. The animation team tried hard and worked hard all day and all night. However, the quality was not what you would expect for a 4 star hotel.

Overall, if they could sort the food out and if the hotel took better care of it's English guests it could be so much better. It has so much potential and wouldn't take much to actually be a 4 star hotel.

I do feel let down by Thomas Cook. I was very worried before we travelled. It wasn't as bad as we were expecting though! The rep has got an easy job. I have phoned and complained the customer services department. They denied there was anything wrong with the hotel and basically made me feel like we were too picky!!!

Would we stay there again?? NO. Hard and expensive lesson learnt.....do not book holidays without customer satisfaction ratings!!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank harveyswalsall_UK
Garden H, Gerente at SunConnect Cabogata Garden, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Madam

First of all, we would like to thank you the fact of giving us the opportunity to know how your experience was at the Hotel.
We are glad you liked the size of our familiar room and its terrase we had reserved for you as well as the pool .
Sorry if in your opinion the buffet was not always correct, we make special atention to this subject
to try to give a good service .We take note of your suggestions

About the issue of the nightdress we have done all we could about it. We work with an external laundry that works for many hotels in the area. We have been in contact with them every day to try to find out about your nightdress. Unfortunetly they have not found it yet.

We have different nationalities here and we do not make distinctions between them offering the same services for all of them.In the buffet service we have international dishes .Times for meals are arranged to fit Spanish, english and the rest of nationalities ..So are the times for entertainment .

Once again, thank you for your review and sorry if the service has not been in all what you expected .

Travelers are raving about these El Toyo hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My family and i have just returned from this hotel after a week there and all i can say is WOW. The place is fantastic and i have no idea what some of the reviews below are going on about as i found not 1 thing to moan about

The entertainment team were the most hardworking and delightful people i have ever come across on a holiday and would like to thank them for really making our holiday, JOAO, JASPER, ROCIO, JAVIER, MERCE and INMA (SORRY IF I MISSED ANYONE) kept the kids and adults entertained from 10:30 - midnight every day and are so fun to be around it really did make the holiday

the hotel staff are all fantastic from the bar staff who enjoy a laugh and a joke with the guests to the reception staff and even the lifeguards

my air conditioning unit broke on one of our last days and was fixed within an hour of us reporting it which i really appreciated

the food was hot and there is a fabulous choice at every meal the waiter staff were polite and very helpful when required and you really are spoilt for choice on the food that caters fro all ages and nationalities

our room was a family room that slept the 4 of us 2 adults and 2 children aged 9 and 7 and were very comfortable and spacious, the maids were excellent and every day the rooms were cleaned and fresh bedding and towels provided

the pools were fantastic and the activities on offer were excellent i would recomend this hotel to anyone and we will be booking our holiday there for next summer very shortly please ignore the early reviews on this hotel as i can assure you any early issues are a distant memory

bravo Thomas cook and Garden hotels on a fantastic Hotel

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are wonderful
7 Thank Coogan82
Dear Coogan

We thank you for mention us all in your review , we will express your satisfaction to all the staff
so they will know you had a good holidays .
We hope to see you again next year ,and as you liked that much the room we reserved for you please let us know when you come next time and we will do our best to reserved the same room again.
We appreciate your comments .Once again thank you very much.
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed here for four nights overall great value good standard hotel. No issue with the food always something hot to eat. Quiet location so a great place to chill out and enjoy the pool. Which our girls did every day.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Ingramsonhol
Garden H, Gerente at SunConnect Cabogata Garden, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear guest
we appreciate your comments about the service received at Cabogata Garden.For us it os the best way to improve every day.We feel happy you liked the location and the services offered.
We hope to see you again in a future
London
Reviewed July 15, 2013

About 3-4 weeks before our departure we started to panic after reading the reviews on "Tripadvisor" , I even visited the Thomascook shop to discuss the bad reviews!! We traveled on June 27th for 14 nights, as a family group of 6 adults and two babies of just over 1 year's old. The day we arrived booking in took about 45-60mins, which in my view is pretty standard as we were one from last. The rooms were large, beds were good and comfortable, cleaning was completed every morning. Food was ok nothing to write home about but you need to get to the restuarant early as theres a rush and all the food goes and food is brought out slowly and not controlled or supervised. We went all inclusive and drinks were served from 1000-0000hrs, all labelled beer and spirits. Pool is clean and refreshing as the hot weather was between 30-38 degrees. Entertainment is on every day around the pool and theres archery, darts, crazy golf, tennis. Apparently the spa treatments were a fair price and good, had to book the treatments up. Evening entertainment took a bit of getting used to, but with the hotel catering for many nationalities entertainment was difficult but we enjoyed it and the entertainers worked really hard. The mini disco was fun and had everyone singing by a few nights. The Hotel is situated in a remote location but there were 8-10 bars/cafes within a 5-10 minute walk. There is a supermarket within a 10 minute walk but remember everything close's between 1300-1730hrs. The arent any cash point machines in the area so you will need to take a bus to Almeria. The bus leaves the front of the hotel every 30minutes, takes approximately 40 minutes to Almeria and costs 2.20 euros return, was told a taxi would cost between 40-50 euros each way!! We didnt go to the beach as we had two 1year babies within our family group and thought that the weather would to hot on the beach for them, but the beach looked ok, not golden sand but there was sand and I would have time down there!

Summing up, this is a family hotel and not a 4 star as advertised, there's not any night life in the area, ok for families and couples who want to chilllax for a week or two, not for people who want wild night life. Everyone speaks limited English but remember your in Spain!! Food is not great but you'll find something thats ok, if you like salads and a med diet you'll have no worries. Pool and entertainment were excellent and couldnt fault them. The wifi is not great, could only log on in the evening but that suited me because allowed to catch up with news etc...whilst sipping on sangria!!

If your a highly strung type this hotel is not for you as you can pick holes in everything and you wont enjoy!

Would I go back there? No as next time we travel away it will be only the wife and I.

Lesson learned, dont always read too much into reviews on trip advisor as it can create panic!!

3 Thank Jas004
Garden H, Gerente at SunConnect Cabogata Garden, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear Sir

After reading your review we will like to thank you for let us know about your experience in Cabogata Garden .As we have said in other occasions thefamiliar rooms are bigger than a standar hotel room ,they were built thinking about making the staying more confortable.

We take special attention to the buffet ,working every day to give good quality and wide range of dishes .We are glad you enjoy our med diet.For all inclusive as you remark we only work with labelled drinks .

The spa has a wide range of body and esthetic treatments to choose from given by staff very qualified with years of experience .

Our entertainment team work hard to make the most of your holidays and all our guests seem really satisfied with them .Thank you for let us know you did as well enjoyed it.

About the cash machine ,there is one in the area about right in front of the Hospital el Toyo at about 3 km from the hotel. And the cost of a taxi to Almeria is about 20€ each way not 40€.They did not inform you properly.

Once again thank you for your review and we hope to see you again nest time youtravel with your family.
carlisle
Reviewed July 13, 2013

After reading some of the previous reviews, I wasn't sure what to expect of this hotel. We really were pleasantly surprised though... I travelled with my husband, a 5 year old and a 10 month old.
The food was really nice and although the restaurant was very busy, the staff all worked very hard.
The entertainment team were the best I have ever come across and it was obvious that the children and adults all had a good time.
Many of the previous reviews said that the hotel doesn't cater for the English... there were many nationalities there, our 5 year old made great friends with a little French boy and a Belgian boy, none of them could speak English but it didn't matter.It was nice having so many nationalities instead of it being just full of English and the staff were always helpful, even if a couple of them couldn't speak our language. I just learned the Spanish for apple juice and seemed to get by :)
All in all, a fab holiday, a lovely clean modern hotel, nice food and nice location.

3 Thank bexter2010
Garden H, Gerente at SunConnect Cabogata Garden, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your nice opinion about Cabogatagarden.We really thank you for spend ing some time to write down you had a great time with us.

As you remark we have different nationalities here and we try to arrange all our services (entertainment , buffet timetables etc ) to satisfy all of them.

All our staff is very concerned about the guests needs and part of their job is to do their best to
help them .The same as our entertainement team .They really work hard to offer all sorts of activities so everyone can enjoy , children and adults.

We are pleased you enjoy the buffet it is important for us .We are trying to offer quality and variety at every moment and, as we said before ,we try as well to satisfy all the different nationalies lodged at our Hotel .

Once again thank you and we hope to see again in Cabogatagarden Hotel.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed at Cabogata Gardens for a week from 27th June and found all the reviews we had read unjustified.The staff were very helpful especially the entertainment staff. The rooms were very spacious and views of pool and sea fantastic.Food was ok always something to eat as the week went on the food got much better and more choice. The beach that was accessible from gates had a lovely natural walkway and was great, there were sunbeds on beach and if you wanted a peaceful sunbathe it was ideal. We had a lovely chilled out week here. The only downfall was there wasn't a lot going on around that is why the entertainment for both adults and children was very good of an evening. Would recommend to anyone looking for a lovely hotel with a chilled out feel. The rep Marcia we found very helpful and polite.

Room Tip: higher floors have better views and less noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sandra e
Garden H, Gerente at SunConnect Cabogata Garden, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear Madam

We really appreciate your comments but overall we are really glad you enjoyed your holidays with us .For us this is the main thing .

Our staff is very concern about the needs of the clients and part of their job is to assure they are coverted .We will let them know about your satisfaction on this matter ..

We are satisfy you liked our buffet .We are trying at every moment to offer a nice and wide choice and it is very important for us you express on first hand your opinion on the buffet service we have.

This company “Garden hotels “ thinks that entertainment is a very important service in vacacional hotels that is why has create a exclusive programme for all ages , all supervise and organized by a management department .

We are a stone´s throw from the Natural Park and the beach in front of us belongs to a protected area that is the reason why nothing can be change or modified and stays as a wild beach.

We thank you again for your opinion and we hope to see you again among us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near El Toyo
#1 of 5 in San Jose
Sercotel Gran Fama
Sercotel Gran Fama
#10 of 31 in Almeria

Been to SunConnect Cabogata Garden? Share your experiences!