“Good but not great!”

Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Richmond
Description: Gaucho source the finest grass-fed beef in the world from Argentina, along with an offering of many other Argentine specialities which range from Latin American style ceviche to chorizo, Gulf de San Jorge lobster, Patagonian lamb and Argentine gambas to traditional empanadas and fine wine. We also offer the largest wine selection in the world outside of Argentina in our restaurants and guests can buy many of the wines from our wine boutique, Cavas de Gaucho on Swallow Street. With seasonally changing menus served across all of our restaurants, we also offer The Gaucho Lunch menu, either two or three courses, between Monday and Friday.
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Myself and my husband popped into gaucho very last minute on Sunday night, we booked in the car on the way and we arrived just before 7pm. We were greeted with a warm welcome to an empty restaurant (2 other tables). Our waitress was very good and helpful with the specials they had that day. We shared a salmon and hollandaise starter which was cooked to perfection but were disappointed the scallops ceviche are no longer on the menu, hopefully they will return in the summer. We both had steak for our main with 2 sides to share, the steak was a little disappointing, not as tender as we normally have at gaucho and the knives were blunt which maybe subconsciously made it feel less tender than it was for all the hard work involved cutting it. we also felt the main came out a little quick straight after the starter. My husbands dessert of white chocolate and blueberry pudding with white chocolate ice-cream and blueberry sauce was a triumph but my Dolce Latte Crème Brulee was very disappointing. Overall I would go back to this Restaurant but on a Friday or Saturday evening when their is a bit more of a buzz and to finish I think the staff could be a little less pretensious.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

After contacting the City Branch and Broadgate branch, we booked a table for 2 on New Years Eve at the Richmond branch. We were only able to secure a table after 9pm which was completely understandable considering that we had only booked on the day. We killed time before heading from Wimbledon to Richmond, starving. On arrival, we were presented with a set menu for £95 a head. On asking whether this is compulsory, I was told it was. We eat regularly at Gaucho both socially and with colleagues, and therefore knew exactly what we wanted. I am more than happy to spend money on good food but I do believe that at some point when contacting all three branches mentioned above, someone should've informed us that there would be a set menu - especially when after wine and service, you would be spending in excess of £250 for your evening. I informed the waitress that we had not been informed at any point during our booking of the set menu, and as a result we probably wouldn't been dining with them. Her response was, 'oh okay' and she wandered off. I took this as our cue to leave and we were then left at 9:30pm on New Years Eve with nowhere to dine. Needless to say, we ended up at a high street chain, which resulted in a quick meal and a trip home after what can only be described as an epic fail. I will be sticking to the City Branch in future.

1  Thank Lauren B
Reviewed January 1, 2014

My partner and I eat our regularly and were really looking forward to spending New Year's Day having a fantastic steak at Gouchos....sadly we were wrong, we ordered medium rare and were told if it was 'too rare' we could cook for longer.... When our borderline mooing meat arrived we asked for it to be cooked slightly longer... The manager arrived back with our Chateaubriand cooked to perfection unfortunately he thought that he should deliver a lecture on how English meat is dry and how I should eat my steak....his condosending manner and snooty attitude ruined our meal, we paid and left never to return... The waitress was friendly yet poor with attention, apologetic yet tardy with service.... With a bill of £90 for a main with two drinks I think that your money is better spent elsewhere, very disappointing ...

Reviewed December 28, 2013

The location is nice in summer, a bit windswept in winter, not helped by the difficulties with parking in Richmond.

The place itself is darkly lit, with house music set to stun, when quiet it is ok, but when busy it is a bit hectic in feel. The staff are friendly but clearly pressured at times.

This place is about steak, and it is good, but i dont feel being told how i like it cooked was a good move from our waiter. The drinkes are good.

So whats not good?

Apart from the unfortunate waiter, 3 tiny portions of mediocre quality dessert, called the sampler, for 15 quid? 1 and a half courses, 1 cocktqil md no wine for 4 people for £130.

So the food can be good in places, but the offering is all very much over priced, and in comparison with other local eateries, is just OTT. So for the price, average.

Possibly a place to pose, possibly a place to use when on expenses with clients, but not for or with much enjoyment.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

We got there about 7 pm. First impressions is that the place is far too dark. I was thinking of using the torch on my phone to read the menu. We were waited on by a great waitress called I think Danella from Romania. She showed us the cuts of meat and we made our choices. The steaks were the best we ever had. On a negative point we had a £25.00 bottle of wine which was very thin and disappointing. Also to charge £2.95 for a small dish of Bernaise sauce is very mean.

I would however not hesitate to go back for the steak alone. Just watch out for the other items on the menu which I feel do not represent value for money.