“Nice staff, but unlikely to revisit” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Giraffe

Giraffe
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Freshly cooked food for everyone served to the sound of great music - guaranteed to make you feel good!
London, United Kingdom
“Nice staff, but unlikely to revisit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

We were lucky enough to win vouchers to come here for a meal for four, from a competition I'd entered.

We visited as a family of four (children 9 and 7) for lunch, and had an OK time, but nothing more than that really.

It should be noted that the Richmond menu is very different, and more limited than that of other Giraffes. I think they are trying to get back to their roots and source local produce, according to the website, but to us it just resulted in the choice being far more limited for both adults and children in all areas.

My pizza-mad son went for the pizza bites, and I asked if, instead of the assigned fries or salad with it, he could just have a few more pizza bites instead, even if we paid more, but according to the chef this was not possible, though our waitress did ask. This seemed rather inflexible. In the end he wasn't keen on them anyway as although margherita-style, they tasted a bit rich for him! My daughter had beans, mash and sausage but wasn't keen on what she had. I had a veggie burrito which was nice enough but not outstanding. My husband had a burger and fries but wasn't overly impressed, particularly by the very crumbly burger bun! The fries were not cooked well, and so were on the hard side.

Desserts were, again, limited (two only on offer for the children). The one my son had was nice, but my chocolate-mad daughter really wanted choc ice cream so we had to order that off the adult menu (again, in other branches, this is an option on the children's menu, but not here). My husband's apple crumble contained large nuts, which he wasn't anticipating (although on rechecking the menu online there is an 'N' symbol by it)! I didn't partake.

Drinks were fine. Before I seem to be whinging about everything, which I really don't want to, I do want to mention that the service we had from all staff was friendly and excellent. Standards of cleanliness were also clearly good, with staff to be seen doing a thorough clean, of the floor as well, after each table left.

Based on our visit we'd be unlikely to return, to the Richmond branch at least, and wish they could have had the variety of options on the menu that standard branches do. I wonder if they are trying too hard to be less of a 'chain' for the good people of Richmond? However in the process they may be making themselves a bit too 'niche'.

Another reviewer mentioned that they weren't keen on the 12.5% 'optional' service charge automatically added to the bill, and nor were we. Our service, as stated before, was very good, but we would normally choose to pay, on average, a 10% charge of our own volition (sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on what was deserved) but not have it already there on the bill!

The good thing was that we covered the whole cost of the meal and service from our vouchers, which were generous, but if not, we would have felt it very expensive for what we had.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

London, United Kingdom
“Nice food just a bit expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

I| had a Lunch with burger and chips and Italian clubhouse sandwich at pizza Giraffe near to the river .The service was really nice I just found the price high anyway the atmosphere was friendly and quiet so we really enjoyed the lunch and I will definitely be back!

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Average... ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

So expensive for food you can get in the m and S cafe lol average food... The waiters need to caln down a bit, I went in and he commented on my scarf....??? On a sarcastic manner.... Not going there again. Should have gone to nandos up the road!

Stansted Mountfitchet, United Kingdom
“Average for price of meal, good location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Fantastic location with lots of shops and Thames + Richmond Park very close by.

We found for the price, the food was very average and nothing special. Staff were very friendly, but food took quite some time to arrive.

Restaurant was a good size and was not too busy when we visited in October 2013.

I don't think we would be re-visiting in a hurry.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Robert T
London, United Kingdom
“Best coffee is Richmond”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Giraffe has the best coffee in Richmond and probably the cheapest too. Just £1.25 for a small coffee and 50p on a Wednesday. Super friendly staff and nice atmosphere. Great breakfasts and very family friendly too. Highly recommended.

Visited December 2013