“Yummy but ££££”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

This place is great.
Nothing is too much for the staff/chefs AND they are ALL friendly.
The sushi is fabulous.
The little amuse bouches are scrummy and just enough to introduce you to something new.
The staff can answer any questions about any dish, and the chefs add or take away any ingredient you ask for.
It's a little bit pricey, but that hasn't put me off going back.
Simple and pleasant settings
A must for all.

1  Thank Lightning85
There are newer reviews for Matsuba

Reviewed March 1, 2014

There's not much to complain about but then there's not much calling me back to Matsuba. Good food (choose carefully as it can easily be expensive), polite and efficient (if a little cold) staff, clean and convivial place. But that's where it starts and ends. Nothing to really catch the culinary imagination and nothing that makes me think "I can't wait to go back".

Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

Since my first time at Matsuba it has quickly become my favourite restaurant, yes it's expensive but the food is delicious and the staff very welcoming. Couldn't recommend more.

2  Thank Alex D
Reviewed February 14, 2014

A tidy little restaurant tucked away in Richmond, just off the main road. The staff were very attentive from the outset (even provided me with a customised set of chopsticks after noticing that I was an amateur). The food was good, nothing too special. The Maromi Lamb was tasty, but a little too rich for my liking. It was a little dear, however it is to be expected in Richmond. I would visit again if I were in the area.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I've been at Matsuba a good 5 times over the years, being dragged by my children as it's the only 'sushi' place in the area.

Well quite frankly I'd rather eat at Yo Sushi and that's saying something because I quite dislike Yo Sushi. My latest visit to Matsuba set me back a cool 175 pounds for two, and consisted mostly of not-so-fresh-fish. Yes, you know that taste.

Service is always pleasant but usually consist of youngish female students who seem to change every time I visit. They aren't professionally trained and don't seem to know the menu beyond 'sashimi is raw fish'. They smile a lot though.

To add insult to a foodie's injury, the sumptuous, out of this world Al Boccon Di'vino is right next door!

This is extremely frustrating because there just doesn't seem to be any good Japanese restaurant in the whole of Richmond/Twickenham area and I stupidly wish Matsuba was it. It's not.

Avoid.