“Pleasant. Food is very good, atmosphere a little lacking”
Review of Matsuba

Matsuba
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
London
“Pleasant. Food is very good, atmosphere a little lacking”
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

We came here without reservation and had no problem getting a table for two. It was pretty busy, nice crowd of mostly couples. The staff are very polite and accommodating but not very personable- I didn't get a sense that they were enjoying themselves much. Food was very nice- I had a £39 set menu which had plenty of variety. The scallops were great, spider roll very good- I would recommend that highly, and the beef was nicely flavoured. My husband had vegetarian options which he was very happy with. The restaurant is clean and toilets are fine. Overall, a good experience though lacking in atmosphere- cheer up everybody!!

London, United Kingdom
“Great food, maybe a little overpriced.”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

As one of the only Japanese restaurants in the area, I am a frequent visitor to Matsuba. Having read some of these other reviews I felt inclined to write my own review as I feel some of these are maybe a bit harsh. I have never eaten Japanese food in Japan, but I have been to lots in the U.K. and Matsuba is among the nicest tasting. There is a wide variety of choice, (albeit some not 'authentic' Japanese) and I am yet to be disappointed by a dish. The restaurant however IS overpriced, but with so few Japanese restaurants in the area I am willing to pay the extra price! The atmosphere is lacking, but the staff are always friendly. I really recommend the Soft Shell Crab and Matsuba/Spider roll!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank katef1008
“Disappointing”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I was really looking forward to my Bento box before going to the movies. The quality of the food did not match expectations and was expensive for what we received.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Ian G
London, United Kingdom
“Very pleasing - will visit again!”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised on our recent lunch visit. Matsuba is pleasantly furnished in a contemporary style with lots of dark wood. The menu has a mix of Japanese and Korean options, and although I might agree with other reviewers that this isn't typically authentic Japanese, it's pleasing nonetheless.

Although it's on the pricy side, I must say that I couldn't fault the food or the service. We will definitely visit again, and would highly recommend giving this place a go.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Suki B
Twickenham, United Kingdom
“Food is great (when it arrives) but overpriced”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I've been visiting Matsuba regularly for over a year and there is always a warm welcome from the owners....BUT...

Food quality is always excellent and I can't fault the taste, presentation or quality of any of their dishes that I have tried. A nice touch is that they will frequently give you a small taster dish on the house to start your meal - encouraging you to try new or different flavours.

Service is variable - typically there will be two junior waiting staff along with either the owner or her son. There seems to be a typically high turnover of junior staff and they are often unfamiliar with the menu or options available - they can also be busy and it sometimes takes a while to get anyones attention even when the restaurant is quiet.

When it comes to the end of the meal it can be a bit of a surprise/shock - prices are significantly higher (for portion size) than the other local Japanese (Maki) or Yo Sushi! Also, note that their signs indicate that they accept Amex (and there is a current Foursquare Amex marketing deal offering money back if you pay with Amex) but for the past 3-4 months I have been repeatedly told that they cant accept Amex due to 'a short-term problem with their card machine'.

Disappointing as they do make an effort with the food and it's always great...but price and service always make me think twice despite being a regular visitor.

• Visited November 2012