“Disappointing”
Review of La Buvette

La Buvette
Reserve with OpenTable
La Buvette is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Intimate, friendly and informal bistro serving regional French cuisine.
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We have been here several times in the past and decided to give it a visit after some time away.

However, the food, on the whole was pretty poor.Also the waitress was quite cold and un-welcoming.

The onion soup had a strange taste and the leek and comte cheese tart was dreadful.really hard pastry, served with bitter rocket, a very poor choice of accomplement..

It was particularly disappointing as we have experienced good meals here before, as we have at Brula in st Margarets. What a shame, not sure if we;ll return.

2  Thank soot30

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I was last at La Buvette for a retirement dinner in the Summer. It was good then and it is still good. I had lunch with a colleague.
We took the prix fixe menue and had two courses for £16.50. With all extras the bill was just over £26 a head. I started with a very good roulade of guinea fowl with pickled girolle mushrooms and my friend had the mushroom soup with chestnuts and tarragon. For our main courses we had smoked haddock with mustard cream sauce and roast chicken with the trimmings. All the dishes were well presented and mine were a pleasure to eat. We finished with coffee and my friend had a glass of house white.
The restaurant remains pleasant and the staff were knowledgeable and efficient. It is one of my local restaurants in the centre of Richmond and I will certainly go there again.

2  Thank SergeLourie
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I had not been there for a while but David had already had two christmas lunches there in same week. For starters David had the always reliable fish soup and I had the crab starter which I thought was a bit minimalist. For main I had the chicken and D had the sea bass both ok. To finish we had trifle and tart and coffee. We had drinks by the glass. I was very disappointed with our glasses of champagne which were not cold enough. Next table had some after us and I think it was from a fresh bottle cos the glasses looked cold and I heard the cork pop. Glasses of Chinon and St Veran with our main courses were good. £115

1  Thank Rob D
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Nicely located and well reviewed our expectations were high. We waited a little too long for both drinks and orders to be taken. No advice was given by the Maitre D on whether sides needed to be ordered, we ordered an extra side from a waitress (who was charming) to add to the one already ordered. When one was delivered and we enquired where was the other? we were brusquely told..'You only ordered one!!'....the other followed delivered by the waitress.
On paying the bill the Maitre D had miscalculate the bill, a mistake which he noticed and rectified.
The food was quite good though....it would have tasted much better if the attitude of the Maitre D was improved. It seemed that our arrival had somehow impinged on the enjoyment of his Sunday afternoon....This could be a great little restaurant.......with some customer service training....

1  Thank garyhad
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Went to La Buvette to say thank you to someone hoping it would be special yet relaxed. It was, and the food and wine were good, but something was missing. Not really sure what but did feel that I had paid a lot and had still missed the point. Given that Richmond is awash with great places it is likely to be the last visit but that still doesn't take away that it was good, just not memorable.

2  Thank GrpCaptMandrake