“Very underwhelmed!!”
Review of The Urban Diner

The Urban Diner
Reserve with OpenTable
The Urban Diner is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Urban Diner succulent ribs, wings & pulled pork are dry rubbed then smoked over hickory wood in our American smoker for 4 hours. Our BBQ sauce is made with over 15 ingredients and all dishes are handmade from responsibly sourced produce delivered fresh every day. Open 7 days a week from 9am - 11pm for Brucnh, Lunch, Dinner
Twickenham, United Kingdom
“Very underwhelmed!!”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

So my partner and I live locally and decided to try this place as we hadn't been there before. There was a large party when we were there and we hadn't booked so there was only a small table in the middle available not a booth...this didn't bother us as we had not made a reservation and they were clearly busy.

The starter was nice and we ordered a steak and one of their burgers for mains. The steak looked nice and was cooked as required. The burger was a little overdone (states medium cooked on the menu...it definitely wasn't medium!) but I did not feel strongly enough about that to complain to staff. With that said the burger was a decent size and looked amazing! The burgers don't come with fries or any sides so they soon become quite an expensive burger when you add these things on. We ordered onion rings on the side....we got 4.....4 onion rings for £3. We did raise our eyebrows at this, especially as they were quite tasteless but again at this stage chose not to bring it to the attention of staff. Our waitress was very friendly and very efficient. Nothing to complain about on that side of things.

Then dessert...! We chose to share the dipping doughnuts. When it came out my partner and I looked at each other in disbelief. It was £5.75....so one would expect a decent dessert. However, 3 of the smallest doughnuts you have ever seen were presented on a board with a chocolate and raspberry sauce. We brought this to the attention of the owner, by this stage we had been quite disappointed with the food quality and value so this tiny dessert really was the tipping point. The owners justification for the price was that the chocolate sauce was Belgian chocolate. We also chose this opportunity to also make reference to the expensive and very small side order. The justification for the onion rings being that they used panko breadcrumbs and lots of herbs!!! My partner stated that we did not wish to have the dessert and asked for the bill. In fairness, the owner offered to get us some more and take it off the bill but by this stage we just wanted to go home.

Our bill arrived with the 12.5% service added. We decided to pay it as the service itself had been good. My partner asked the waitress if the money went to her and before the poor girl could answer the owner jumped back in stating that 100% of the money went to her staff and "I am a very good employer before you start that!" Not the response I would expect from anyone let alone the owner, we weren't criticising her ability to be an employer! Our cue to leave...immediately!!!

Our criticism was not personal, we were just very underwhelmed by the food and value in general and it did not live up to the cool funky appearance it has. The restaurant itself looks good and is clean, the waitresses were also very efficient. Such a shame it is ruined by the food and we will not be returning or recommending to anyone.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Colbie1

“The worst ribs ever”
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

I had the driest ribs I have ever eaten. The chef doesn't know what he's doing. Even the Sainsbury's ready cooked ribs are better. Thanks to sides, otherwise there was no way to be full.

2 Thank Mehmet K
London, United Kingdom
“Arrogant, unwelcoming staff”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I've lived in Richmond all of my life (50) and seen many restaurants come and go. The sooner this one disappears the better. As it was new, I thought i'd give it a try. I went in at lunchtime on a Saturday and the place was almost empty. I stood waiting at front of house for a good few minutes and I could see a waitress at the far end of the restaurant chatting to a barman. When she didn't bother to make her way over to me I decided to seat myself and made my way over to a comfy looking booth. The waitress then quickly came over and told me"you can't sit there". When I asked why i was informed that they were only for groups of 3 or more. I pointed out that they were almost empty and had 4 free booths and even offered that If they got busy and needed the booth I would gladly move. This wasn't good enough for the waitress and insisted on seating me at a table for 2. I decided that they probably didn't want my custom and so ate at Cote a few doors along instead. After this experience with such an arrogant rude waitress I won't be back.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank rossmacg1
“Overpriced, average food”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Visited here for dinner during the week, as it's new and me and my partner wanted to check it out.
Ordered burgers and chilli fries. Burgers were alright and chilli fries were disappointing, but this may be because I didn't really know what to expect with them.
There wasn't anything bad about the food or drink, it was fine, but for the prices they were charging I was expecting something better.

Visited August 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Best Ribs I've ever eaten!”
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Something Wonderful must have happened to the Urban Diner because our starter of Crabcake was
delicious and the main course of Ribs were as good
as I have ever eaten! TOP MARKS Urban Diner!

Visited October 2013