“I'll not be back...”

The Red Cow
B
“I'll not be back...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2008

Stayed Sun-Mon, 5 nights.
Positive :
- room & bathroom very clean & comfortable
- staff helpful

Room for improvement :
- noise : a lot of noise from traffic, from the pub, from early morning cleaning & delivery of barrels - sounded like he was playing basketball.
- breakfast : for a traditional english pub, the croissants in the fridge are a shock.....why not a traditional english breakfast ?
- price : £75 / night is expensive for a pub, even though the room is very good and even though it is in Richmond.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank lasttimeidothis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Cormatin, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2008

We stayed 2 nights at the Red Cow Pub to attend a wedding nearby. After having viewed the rooms on the website, I was surprised by the actual size of our room, which was much smaller than I expected. However, the bed was *very* comfortable and the sheets were of good quality. For the price we paid, though, and based on the website photos, I expected something a bit larger and nicer. Also, I was very surprised by the "continental breakfast" which is not served in the pub as I expected, but left in your room. The tea turned out to be excellent, though, and the fresh milk was a nice touch (there were boxes of Weetabix and some other cereal and there was more than enough milk leftover for our tea). The yoghurts were especially tasty. The croissants, however, were the same nasty ones in plastic wrappers that some airlines serve on the plane for breakfast. The biscuits were fine.
The bathroom was quite small, too, and there was quite a bit of mold in our shower, which did not work that well. The shower hose needed to be replaced. Again, I was surprised because I had gotten the impression from the website that all the rooms had recently been redone.
The personnel were all extremely friendly and helpful, from the process of making the reservation, to welcoming us, and to providing us with a hairdryer when I realised I had forgotten my plug converter.
Our room wasn't too noisy in that we didn't hear much from the other rooms or downstairs, but we arrived very late the first night and were out even later the next night after the wedding so I imagine if you're an early-to-bed person, there would be noise from the pub. We did have to open our windows one night because it got too stuffy and the next morning there was quite a lot of street noise and garbage bin noise, but with the windows shut it wouldn't have been so bad.
Overall, we had a pleasant stay. I was just surprised that things were a little different than how they appeared on the website. And, living on the continent, I guess my pricing expectations are different. If I had paid the same price for a room in Paris, I would have gotten something much nicer. But London is known for being expensive I guess.
Still, we slept well and especially enjoyed the high quality mattress and bed linens.

• Liked — Friendly staff, comfy bed, delicious tea
  • Disliked — Shower, smaller room than I expected
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
oxford, uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2008

Maybe I had wrong expectations paying £95 for one (Saturday) night - but what you get is a (nice enough looking) room above a pub on a busy bus route - with thin walls between rooms, and creaky floorboards outside the door.
We were unfortunate enough to be woken by a delivery of beer barrels outside the window at 8am on Sunday.

Note the continental breakfast is just a packet cereal and milk in the fridge with juice etc. but apparently "isnt included in the price but is added in because people expect it."

So £95 for a noisy room only. I rang the manager to complain and he assures me this is good value in the area. Un believable.

• Liked — nr station
  • Disliked — NOISE
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amassa_matt

Travelers are raving about these Richmond-upon-Thames hotels

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2007

Booked room through bookings.com. On arrival informed no booking had been received from the website and furthermore that there were now no rooms available to rent. Were forced to haul our luggage from hotel to hotel looking for a place to stay. A romantic weekend away was ruined by the anxiety caused by this oversight.

Stayed December 2007
2 Thank Doctor_Mark
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2007

I stayed in the Red Cow for two nights, it is about a 5 minute walk from the Richmond underground station and the Richmond Town Centre which has lots of restaurants and bars (although they wind up at about 11pm). The station is on the district line and connects to central London in about 30 min – depending on where you’re going.

The rooms are above a traditional English pub that does most Beers, Lagers and some very good food.

The rooms are very nice: decked out in a faux opulent style. The bed was massive and could have easily accommodated a small family. It was clean enough and the bathroom was more modern that the building gave suggestion to. And although the inn is on a main road, the road doesn’t support much traffic outside the rush hour and the area reverts to suburbia once the morning and evening rush hour has gone through, which made getting a lie in very easy.

Breakfast was provided but was a continental affair which consisted of some cheese croissant and coffee in the fridge in the room. A slight cop out by the Inn, but the dinners in the evening are great and the fridge came in handy for chilling my own wine.

The inn keeper was also very happy to give me the wireless log on, so I was able to have the net in my room on my own laptop.

Over all very good.

I’ll be going back if I’m ever in Richmond again - It would make a perfect girlfriend/adultery get away.

• Liked — The comfortable room
  • Disliked — Breakfast - but on the plus side I ate it in bed
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank StaysinHotels
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2007

I went for a weekend (Jul 26-29). The Inn is above a pub. The staff is very helpful, and the location is perfect. You are literally a 3 minute walk from the Richmond train and underground station, and the town of Richmond is a really awesome spot in the summer!

The rooms are of a good size and clean, but I found them a bit dated, that would be my only complaint of it. They provide a fridge in your room, with croisants and yogurt and milk, OJ every morning.

I would recommend this Inn, from the other places I have seen, it's heads and tails better then any other place in Richmond, and the price is good!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank ttboydubai
Brasil
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2007

Very disappointing. Thought pub was on side-street but had main road running past so was noisy, even throughout the night. Room was smokey (should improve with ban); the kitchen sounded like it was underneath our room & we heard dishes being clanked until closing time; continental breakfast was in the fridge in the room - same croissants for both nights' stay (no fresh ones given), no orange juice on first morning so 3 year old had nothing to drink other than the water we had with us, and it meant eating with toddler in bedroom. Not ideal. Second night was pub quiz & none of us slept til well after 11pm. Not at all relaxing for a family. Paid for 4 nights but only stayed for 2; so paid additionally for alternative accommodation - stayed in different pub B&B which was entirely different & vast improvement. Asked for receipt & never got one. Certainly did not live up to website description & would definitely not recommend for a family stay.

• Disliked — Smokey room up loads of stairs - no good for carrying buggy & toddler up & down.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family