“Seasoned Travellers Left Underwhelmed”
Review of Bingham

Bingham
London, United Kingdom
“Seasoned Travellers Left Underwhelmed”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We travel a lot, we use Mr & Mrs Smith to find our hotels as we trust them to deliver excellent hotels with exceptional service.

Sadly, a one night stay at The Bingham left us underwhelmed.

The room was hot, small, noisy with the fixtures and fittings tired and needing some attention.

Luxury was offered but not delivered.

A couple of examples; two small bottles of water were in the room and not as a gratuity but a paid-for service. Nothing spoils luxury as much as this kind of penny pinching - one can't on the one hand talk about luxury and then miss on these small details.

The second, we made two minor (easy requests) from the front desk during our stay, the first was completely forgotten until the next day when we reminded them and the second, for a car, seemed to be far more complicated and unreliable than we hoped.

A final point, at no point were we asked during our stay, or during checkout how we had felt about our stay.

Be warned this is on a main road with traffic, including large lorries, passing by until the early hours and then resuming around 6am. Unless you are willing to pay for a room at the rear of the hotel then expect not to sleep very well.

We had booked to have lunch in their restaurant the next day but cancelled instead, we felt aggrieved at the thought of giving any more money to The Bingham.

We are seasoned travellers, staying in similar hotels in both the UK and overseas, the Bingham has a lot to learn about the meaning of the words service and luxury, it did not come close to many other Mr and Mrs Smith hotels.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank russhughes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Organised my 40th birthday party dinner here, last weekend. Simply, 10/10 all round. I booked 2 of the rooms downstairs to have private dining for 22 people and chose to tweak the current tasting menu to make it specific to me. It was AWESOME! The food was great, the wine with each course worked very well and the service was very professional. All round, everything was went exactly as planned.

Great venue, several people who had not been before commented to me how lovely they thought it was.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed March 13, 2014

My mother was very keen to try the Market menu - £15.00 for three courses. I was anxious because she uses a wheelchair and can be fussy about what she eats. I could not have been more delighted. The staff could not have been more helpful, We were given a table by the window with the wonderful view. The food was wonderful - home baked warm bread, a delicious cod starter and then lamb with sweetbreads. The puddings were really luscious too. The service was prompt, but relaxed and friendly.

I cannot thank the Bingham enough - my Mother was absolutely thrilled by the outing. We were hardly big spenders but they treated us as warmly as the couples swilling champagne.

Room Tip: This was lunch only
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Stayed at the Bingham Hotel last summer for 1 night. Its an upmarket boutique hotel right on the river about a 5 minute walk from town. The location is superb and the views form the hotel are particularly nice. The room was very nicely furnished, although the sink in the bathroom was very loose, with a great view of the river.

The garden room is stunning with sumptuous sofas, high ceilings and a view onto the garden. The perfect place to enjoy a cocktail or two before heading out for the evening in Richmond.

I didn't eat dinner at the Bingham but the breakfast was more than adequate. If you choose to eat elsewhere there are a number of good restaurants in Richmond, but things get booked up very quickly.

Whether it was the time of the year and the hotel was busier than normal I couldn't be sure, but the staff were only happy to do the bear minimum. They were polite and efficient but did nothing more to make the stay feel like a special one.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Phil G
Reviewed March 3, 2014

This boutique hotel is gorgeous and located in the heart of Richmond with wonder scenic river views.

The room is lovely furnished although whilst provided with free wifi details, we couldn't get any reception in the room to take advantage of it. This is a lovely little romantic bolt hole. And despite being awakened at midnight from food poisoning after having eaten at the restaurant, the reception staff were fabulous and helpful with providing all new bedding for us.

I will definitely return in the near future despite he food glitch as this place is romantic, secluded from the tourist crowds and is in a perfect location..

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Teddington
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Such a beautiful Georgian building with high-ceilings maximising light and overlooking the river at Richmond. An oasis of calm and relaxation as we were greeted at the door by friendly staff, despite being very busy. The lunchtime Market Menu is indeed exceptional value and a great introduction to the new chef's skill. I had only previously attended private events in the lower garden rooms but was greatly impressed by the restaurant and would definitely recommend and will return.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I live in the Richmond area and often go to the Bingham hotel for drinks. Have aalways found the quality of the staff in the bar to be high standard so was very excited to finally have a try of the restuarant.
Overall I was quite disappointed with almost every part of the meal.
Bread- usually the bread served at the beginning of the meal is an indication to be of the quality of the place I am eating. It therefore should have been a warning when the roll I had was incredibly hard to cut open, very dry and lacked any taste.
Starter - I ordered a duck egg / asparagas starter, but after I placed my order was informed by a member of staff that the item was part of the winter menu which had changed, so I needed to pick another item. Istead I ended up with the bacon risotto which I have to say was very lovely.
Main - My main course was skate, and lacked anything resembling texture or flavour. It was a very bland item that needed at the least more salt.
Dessert - I ordered the cheese plate but again wasn't really impressed with the quality of the cheeses I was given.
Service - The service was lackluster at best, the mistake with my starter being an example. The people who ordered cheese received their desserts 10 minutes before the rest of the table. We actually had to get up from the table and go find the server to find out where the dessert was.
Overall I was underimpressed and will stick to the bar for drinks.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Brigitka
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond-upon-Thames
The Petersham Hotel
Richmond Park Hotel
Richmond Park Hotel
#13 of 14 in Richmond-upon-Thames
Travelodge London Richmond Central

Been to Bingham? Share your experiences!