“Easy access to central London by train”
Review of The Dukes Head Inn

and 1 more site!
The Dukes Head Inn
Reviewed July 19, 2011

My husband and I and a friend shared a triple with three single beds. The room and bathroom were clean and functional, though the bathroom was a bit small. The room is not a place you want to hang out in as it just holds the beds and a single chair, but it met our needs. The pub is in a neighborhood just 10 minutes walk from the Richmond train station. This location was a good option for us because we had a rental car and did not want to drive into the congestion zone. The trains run until almost midnight so we were easily able to get to the West End and back for a play. The ride in took about 25 minutes; the ride back was on an express and took only about 15 minutes. The car park behind the pub only holds about 4-5 cars and it was full, but we were able to get overnight street parking. Breakfast in the pub the next morning was a full English breakfast and quite good.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank BethB55

Reviewed April 26, 2011

No pressure...
I had previously stayed at the Dukes Head on business and found it to be cosy and welcoming. My wife and I arrived at around 8pm in the evening, and despite the awkward ' cowboy film style all eyes on you' feeling as you walk through the door with suitcases into a packed pub, it was great! We were given our key and headed to the room at the top, room 23 or 24 I think, can't remember. Laid back, friendly, and as soon as we worked out the window and put the heating on, the room warmed up.

No pressure....really..no pressure. I'm talking about the shower. It's a British thing, probably not a fault of the Dukes Head.. .but the shower was appalling. On full belt it was akin to standing under a colander. Most showers in the UK are rubbish..I don't know what it is with the plumbing on that island but it was not a great way to start the day. As soon as you see that plastic box on the wall and the limp shower head you know what you're in for.
The TV remote was also dead and the window didn't close properly. It was a noisy and chilly night, the heating took a while to kick in and the windows were pretty drafty.

The last breakfast I had there whilst on business seemed fuller and nicely presented, but this breakfast was poor, watery eggs, two limp sausages and burnt toast. I took my wife here for a city break from our home in Austria and I talked the Dukes Head up, particularly the breakfast. The lady who served it was friendly but I'd been gagging for a British fry-up for months and what we got was weak, a shame as I'd been talking about ' The Dukes Head breakfast' for weeks. I think my wife must have thought I'd gone mad!

Saying this though, it's a cosy place to stay, no frills ( or hairdryer), I think some kind of a welcome leaflet would be nice in each room because it does kind of feel like ' here's your key, I've got pints to pull...bye then..'. With a bit more focus on detail it could go from being a good B&B to a great b&b

PS, close the windows, the pub sits right under the Heathrow flightpath. An airline flies over every 40 seconds! I know it sounds like a rant, it's not meant to come across like that. I'd been bigging the place up and felt a bit disappointed with the breakfast and shower. I remember the breakfast room having a more cosy feeling, it felt very cold and the food kind of dumped down in front of you. An Irish-run pub needs a big belter of a fry-up!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChangiChap
Reviewed November 12, 2010

We wanted to get a neighborhood feel for our stay in London. After spending the day touring London sights it was so comfortable to return to the Duke's Head for a pint and some dinner. Food was excellent and the staff was friendly and helpful. I would plan to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2010

My wife and I stayed at The Dukes Head for 1 night due to a friends wedding in the local area.

The owners were very friendly and welcoming and we were able to park in the small car park as well as check in before 1pm in order to get ready for the wedding.

The room was large and had everything we needed although it is quite tired looking and ideally could do with a bit of an update. The bathroom was quite small and had a broken toilet seat and toilet roll holder and a showerhead in need of replacement.

Breakfast was good with a reasonable choice and was available from 8am-10am (on a Sunday).

Overall, I would recommend this as a good place to stay as long as you are expecting a room in a pub and not a luxury hotel!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2010

stayed at this great place this weekend, the owners and staff were very helpful on arrival and very welcoming and made us feel at home, the rooms were spacious and vey clean which is always a good start, we decided to have dinner at the pub that first night and the food was first class, and the open mic night on the friday was great entertainment. After a great nights sleep we were welcomed to a really good breakfast which kept us going for the most part of the day. all in all the dukes head inn is definetly worth the money and i will be staying there again

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Ok, so i was a little concerned after reading some of the previous reviews. However, I really should not have been. This pub, and I think that is probably what some of the other reviewers have forgotton, provided for a great and comfortable stay. We arrived and got parked up in the small car park at the back of the pub, and were given the key to our room, and direction (all the way to the top of the building and to the left..phew...3 fights of stairs!) by the Landlandy who was very friendly and welcoming. The room was spacious and very clean. Yes, the decor may well be a little dated, but this place is a PUB not a BOUTIQUE or MODERN CHAIN hotel. to my partner and I, and we have stayed in many hotels and pubs and guest houses, this place met it's brief very well. The bed was large (2 singles together) and was very comfortable. There was a desk, two large mirrors, and a couple of arm chairs, as well as tea and cofee making facilities - the only coment about which I can make is that there was no milk (which I am sure would have been provided if we could have been bothered to ask!) and it would have been nice to have a couple of biscuits! The bathroom was a good size with loo, basin and shower and was clean, and although the shower riser had been repaired roughly, the shower functioned perfectly well. Breakfast was fine, cereals, cooked breakfast juice toasts etc the usual stuff really...nothing to write home about but nothing to complain about either. All in all we had a peaceful stay, for a reasonable price (so close to the centre of London and also in a very nice part of the Greater London Area) in a pub which was only 5 minutes walk from the pretty town centre of Richmond. Recomended.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 24, 2010

The B&B is quite old. The rooms are dated and could do with a refurbishment. The staff are helpful and friendlly. Breakfast was ok, perhaps a little limited. I would expect a higher standard for the cost of the the room per night. One good thing is the location which is very close to Richmond centre but in a residential area so very quiet at night.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TSDUB
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond-upon-Thames
Premier Inn London Richmond Hotel
Premier Inn London Richmond Hote...
#1 of 14 in Richmond-upon-Thames
#4 of 14 in Richmond-upon-Thames
Bingham
Bingham
#5 of 14 in Richmond-upon-Thames

Been to The Dukes Head Inn? Share your experiences!