“Perfect Sunday afternoon”
Review of Ham House

Ham House
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Splendidly preserved 17th-century house and gardens.
Reviewed November 19, 2017

We had walked passed Ham House on a number of occasions & finally went in a couple of weeks ago .Beautiful house , lovingly restored with some excellent paintings. Nice cafe with good selection of food ,reasonably priced . Well worth a visit .

1  Thank DanielaDiamond
in 13 reviews
"richmond station"
in 18 reviews

Reviewed November 11, 2017

Ham House was a total disappointment. After a lovely walk along the river, we arrived at the house and handed over nearly 30 pounds for my family (2 adults, 2 kids) which we paid at the gate, some way from the entrance. Then at the house, they said the upper floors were closed. Of course it´s the same price as when they´re open!

The rooms were not particularly interseting, and there were probably only 5 rooms to visit in total and, frankly, we felt totally ripped off. The National Trust clearly see this as a cash cow, it being so close to London and in an upmarket area.

Shame on you National Trust. You are supposed to be in the service of the people but these prices should be reviewed. And most of all, if half the building is not available to visit you should state that and reduce the price.

We felt completely cheated.

5  Thank martacasad0
Reviewed November 11, 2017

In terms of value for money, this was probably the poorest quality London attraction I have seen in a long time. It cost nearly 30 pounds entrance fee for me, my wife and 2 kids, which is already steep for what you get (more of that later). They took our money at the entrance gate, where a van is parked some way from the main building. Then, only when you get to the main building and of course after we have handed over our cash, they tell us that the upper floors are closed. So only the ground floor is available to view.
There is no audio guide, and no printed guide with any useful information, and the information in each room was in a booklet hanging from a post which you had to take in turns to read.
When I complained about the entrance fee, and the fact that we hadn´t been told the upper floors were closed, I was told that they justfiy charging the same because there are lots of activities during the week! But this was the weekend, presumably when they get most customers.
I think the National Trust should be ashamed of themselves for blatantly ripping off the public at this attraction, presumably because it´s close to London and tourists will pay just because it´s from the 17th Century.
Give this one a miss, go visit Richmond, take a walk along the river, up the hill and to Richmond park. But don´t hand over your cash to visit Ham House.

4  Thank ericmcconnelluk
Reviewed November 6, 2017

On a warm September day I took the subway to Richmond to visit the Jacobean Mansion, “Ham House”. I selected the three mile walk, which passes Richmond Green, then connects with a beautiful walk along the Thames. It was very pleasant watching the boats, passing some very nice restaurants, and viewing Marble House on the opposite side of the Thames. If one is interested, there is a ferry that will take passengers across the Thames to visit this house, but it is important to check the schedule. Although one can visit Ham House by car, the walk is a nice option.
Ham House was built around 1620, and it is very impressive. I was very pleased to find that few modifications have been made in its history: one in the 1740s and the other in the 1890’s. I understand these modifications were minor. I really enjoyed viewing the Stuart interior including Jacobean antiques just as it probably looked in the early 1600s. I am always somewhat disappointed when I visit a house whose interior has been extensively remodeled in some “new style a hundred or two years after it was built.
Ham House has always been a Royalists house; the original owner worked in King James’s court. The next owner was William Murray; he had been Charles I’s “whipping boy”. Evidently, Charles I was seldom exposed to children his own age, and he became quite attached to William. Our guide mentioned that there was no record that William actually had to receive any punishment for Charles I’s bad behavior. Perhaps, Charles I was a compliant child.
When Cromwell came into power in 1653, William’s daughter played her cards correctly and befriended Cromwell, thus saving the mansion from confiscation by the Parliamentarians.
The grounds and gardens are also very impressive. On my walk back, I ate a picnic lunch on a bench overlooking the river. However, there are some pleasant restaurants on the Thames near Richmond . Since I had some time to spare, I stopped at Richmond Green and watched a cricket game for a half hour. It was a
great day.

1  Thank Dan M
See more reviews
Reviewed November 4, 2017

We made a long journey to visit Ham house, and were very disappointed. Such expensive tickets for such a dark and depressing tour of a few rooms, the rest being locked up. The rooms were so devoid of light at two thirty pm early November, that you could barely see anything let alone the paintings, you would have needed a torch to see these....alas not supplied. We were told the paintings were valuable so were kept in the dark.
It is supposedly wheel chair friendly, however one of the ramps was not in place on the front stair access.
I am of the opinion that the house is kept open at this time of the year as a fruitful money maker, the shop and cafe very busy.

2  Thank alexK1490BL