“Beautiful hotel in an amazing location”

Richmond Gate Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel in an amazing location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

Started off with a scumptious cream tea in the beautiful restaurant, made even better with the friendly and helpful staff....room was absolutely stunning and full of character also, with a totally comfy bed to top it off! Lovely relaxing time spent in the pool and hydropool, followed by a lie down on the sun loungers with a glass of bubbles.....breakfast was tasty and plentiful as was buffet style set in beautiful surroundings! Would definitely recommend for a romantic break.

Room Tip: A room in the original hotel as seems to have the authentic character if you want that extra special...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KatSligo_Ireland
GMRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Richmond.

Nick Henry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

We stayed here after our nearby wedding in June 2014. When we arrived around 11:45pm we were totally ignored for 10 minutes as we sat in the reception (in wedding dress and military uniform) having to make small talk with random strangers as there was only 1 receptionist working who was dealing with someone else. Eventually my patience ran out and when I asked if someone else could maybe check us in then another staff member popped up. Despite having dropped a bag off earlier in the day it hadn't been taken up to our room, so after eventually getting checked in we had to come back down to reception to find the bag. Nice room tho and breakfast was as you'd expect. Customer service definitely needs sharpening up though.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lindsay_90
GMRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2014
Thank you for your recent comments on the trip advisor website .We do place a high level of focus on staff training and service , and I have to say that I am extremely disappointed to read about your experience. I certainly don’t excuse the fact you were not acknowledged this is unacceptable. I am a little confused by your description as the only seating we have is almost 5 metres from the front desk near our front door and if you were sat in this location it is conceivable that you would not be seen. As a rule after 11pm our front desk is manned by one receptionist and I am sorry they were dealing with another guest and were unable to serve you immediately.
It is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard and service.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2014

We booked this as part of a deal, overnight stay, breakfast, afternoon tea with Prosecco.

Hotel is in a good location, just outside the gates of Richmond Park, at the top of Richmond Hill. We checked in and opted for our afternoon tea when we arrived. We were shown to a room where the tea was served, we asked if we could have it outside as it was a scorching afternoon and was a shame to be indoors, but we were told no food outside. There were 4 or 5 tables with people drinking their Prosecco and eating sandwiches and cakes from a lovely 3 tiered cake stand. You can imagine how disappointed I was when after our Prosecco we got a pot of tea, 4 scones with cream and jam - no pretty 3 tiered stand or sandwiches & cakes. The scones were also pretty salty. I can only assume everyone else had on a different deal! We had actually had a lovely lunch by the river and were not that hungry, but we looked like the poor relation!

Our room was small but clean, it was at the back of the hotel near the spa, in what was an extension to the original building. The bed was comfortable, but the decor was tired in places, grouting in bathroom etc. Oddly there was a minibar/fridge however was completely empty. The aircon was welcome as it was so warm, however as soon as you turned it on and the flap came down there was a disgusting amount of thick visible dust inside which was really off putting, seeing as it was circulating air.

There was complimentary spa access, which was good, again the shower areas were old and tired, and in need of modernisation - certainly not 4 star. The sauna was broken so we couldn't use that.

Breakfast was included however again not 4 star in terms of the quality of the food, sausages seemed cheap, hash browns greasy and floppy.

Incidentally when I got home, I checked the small print of my deal and it was definitely "afternoon tea" and not "cream tea"

All in all, a nice main building, the staff were pleasant and polite and considering this was a deal it was ok, but I wouldn't have wanted to pay full price. It may have been 4 star for the facilities etc, but some areas are in need of love and attention.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Elemii
Thank you for your recent review. I was very sorry to read that you described your stay with us as “nothing special” I am genuinely disappointed that you felt this was the case please accept my apology.
I wish to assure you that if the Duty Manager had been made aware of the error you have identified with regard the afternoon tea they would have at the very least rectify the problem we do have several different offers am I am sure there was clearly an oversight on our behalf.
I agree the mini bar in your standard room was empty I wish to assure you that this is intentional. Mini bars may be stocked on your request or simply used as a fridge for your own refreshments during this extremely warm spell, I am sorry that you were disappointed with this facility. Thank you for sharing some of your other opinions and I will certainly review these.

Truro, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

Stayed here twice in the past couple of years and one of the nicer hotels I've ever stayed at. My room was very clean and generally quite well presented. My only real criticism is the television is a little complicated to operate - it took me five minutes of fiddling with mine which I don't mind, but it's a word of caution that it could be something you get complaints about in the future. Staff were friendly and the location of the hotel is good.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent comments on the trip advisor website. I was pleased to read that you had a great stay with us and how much you had enjoyed experience. I certainly take on board your comments relating to the TV and we are currently looking at upgrading this facility.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel on your next trip to Richmond

Southwold
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

II had a truly excellent steak tonight followed by delicious watermelon sorbet! What more could a weary traveller ask for!! The food has improved dramatically over the past year. Thank you Massimo! My room is very comfortable and the air on is great for hot evenings.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank julieawin
Thank you for your comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to see that you had returned once again and enjoyed your stay with us so much as your previous visits. I know Massimo was thrilled by your comments thank you.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

We have stayed multiple times at Richmond Gate Hotel and it makes me sad to lower my review rating. This is a lovely hotel in a great location in beautiful Richmond. We love the beautiful suites with fireplace and marble baths. The room we stayed in was still lovely, even though it is showing signs of wear, as is the rest of the hotel. It was not as clean this time-bugs on window sills, dustier, decor showing wear. What displeased me most was the change in ownership. Gone is that special feel of a "home." The new staff was fine but did not go out of their way to make us feel welcome. The service is definitely not as good. The food was a disappointment. The "feel" of the hotel was a big reason we kept returning. To be honest, I'm not sure we will stay again.

Room Tip: Choose a suite.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BO62
GMRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website .We do place a high level of focus on staff training and service , and I have to say that I am extremely disappointed to read about your experience. As you are a regular guest I was further surprised to read that both new and old team members did not give “a great welcome or that special feel of a home ” you have previously experienced I am at loss as to understand why this would occur please accept my sincere apology.
Despite any shortfalls in product we have inherited we have always endeavoured to provide good customer service. Your comments are of course in direct contrast to some other recent reviews such as “Fantastic - new management”, “Fab hotel!”, “Midweek Break”, Excellent staff!” to name a few since we took over the business in March. I really would welcome some more specific details of your experience first-hand if you could contact me at the hotel I would be most grateful.

Liverpool, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this fab hotel for a weekend and had a great time. In a perfect spot at the top of the hill but in walking distance of all the main attractions and with Richmond Park on the doorstep it really can't be beaten on location. Looking at some other reviews I'd agree that it isn't 100% perfect (but in my experience nowhere is) but I have to say that whenever we needed something all the staff were really helpful and sorted any minor issues we had straight away. I sometimes wonder why people don't give feedback when they're still in the hotel rather than saving it up for reviews! I was really surprised by the unusual beers in the bar- my husband loved the Hawaiian beer, and our daughter enjoyed being able to have a swim in the lovely health club. We will 100% stay again when we're in the area.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent comments on the trip advisor website. I was pleased to read that you had a great stay with us and how much you had enjoyed your experience. It is always a wonderful to read comments about team members and the service they have provided. I am pleased that we were able to overcome the minor issues which you highlighted in your review. It is unfortunate that on some occasions guests are quicker to give negative feedback on sites rather than speaking to us. I thank you for taking the time to make a positive review.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel on your next trip to Richmond.