“Very Disapointing”

Richmond Gate Hotel
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed at the Richmond Gate because we were going to Twickenham for the rugby International, on arrival we were told we had been upgraded which turned out to be a very basic double room which had a single wardrobe, a carpet covered with dirty marks and a large stain from rain on the ceiling and it also smelt of damp, it was more a down grade than an upgrade, the breakfast was very poor and the service was poor also forgetting our order of tea and toast, next time we will a different hotel

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
GMRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Thank you for your recent comments .I was very sorry to read that the standard of accommodation you were provided was at the very best poor. We do have a local maintenance program in place to help continually pick up on day-to-day wear and tear we have however clearly let you down on this occasion. It would be useful to know which room you stayed in so I could investigate the issues you raise. Whilst I appreciate this does not excuse the standard of the room you described as the newly appointed General Manager this type of feedback is invaluable yet equally disappointing but will allow me to improve our standard and service.

There are newer reviews for Richmond Gate Hotel

Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed at Richmond Gate Hotel with our wedding guests at the end of February. We felt the rooms were reasonably priced for what they were but we were very impressed by the levels of service we received, the staff couldn't do enough to help. This was highlighted by the Hotel kindly storing our wedding cake the night before the wedding even though we were not having our wedding at the hotel.
We felt the breakfast was exceptional and was served in a lovely conservatory, our guests seemed to have a great time and felt the hotel met with their expectations.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank mikeyp1974

Thank you for a your review - I am pleased that you enjoyed your experience at Richmond Gate and, in particular, delighted with your comments regarding the team members.

They work exceptionally hard to try and deliver the best possible customer care and it is very gratifying for them to read feedback such as yours.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Richmond Gate again in the future. Thank you again for taking the time to post such a positive review.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

This is a lovely old Hotel in a lovely area with parking out front. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful .The rooms are not large ,but we found them very comfortable.
There is a series of public sitting rooms and a bar at the front as you enter. We sat here and had tea and sandwiches which were very nice also very relaxing.
The sleep quality here was of a very high standard with also a mix of feather or foam pillows. Breakfast lets this hotel down big time. The staffs attitude was poor It was as thou they didn't want to be there.
The breakfast food quality was poor , so much so that my partner never attempted anything they had out. I did try the English breakfast , but to be honest it was better missed. The breakfast was nearly cold. Then a ray of light, they brought out some fresh fried eggs, but sadly they were cold and well over cooked. Even the fresh fruit salad was very lacking in choice.
This was a shame as Richmond is a lovely place and the hotel itself has a lot of potential. Please get the breakfast quality here sorted and the staff that serve it motivated.
You may only get one opportunity to impress.

Room Tip: Only stayed in one room, but very pleasant and a lovely comfortable bed.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChristopherDDevon

Thank you for your recent comments I am sorry I have not responded sooner but I have only recently joined the property as General Manager.
Your stay definitely appears to be the sorry of 2 halves and I want to apologise that your experience has not been consistent.
I was disappointed to read your comment in reference to the standards at breakfast however I would like to thank you for your comments and as a result I will be reviewing our offering and quality.
I do place a high level of focus on staff training and service. I can reassure you that staff behaviour and responsiveness are of upmost importance to me.
Many thanks again for your feedback. I trust that my response, to some degree, gives reassurance that all customer feedback is respected and understood. I am sorry that we fell short of your mark and it is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard and service.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Myself & my three friends recently stayed at the Richmond Gate Hotel for a birthday celebration.
While the staff were very nice & the location very handy for the park, that's about as far as it goes!
The rooms smelt very musty & most of the hotel was in need of a decent coat of paint. The food was appalling!
At Dinner my friend ordered pork belly & while this dish does contain some fat she was not expecting 99%! It was totally inedible & the waiter was at first very reluctant to take it away. The rest of us had chicken & we all left half of it as it was too tough to cut let alone eat! They did however, as compensation, give us our second bottle of wine free but we were left hungry. All round a ruined break & big disappointments. We booked it through Secret Escapes & quite frankly it doesn't do their reputation any good either. Will definitely will not be returning - what a let down!!

Room Tip: Don't bother!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your recent comments I am sorry I have not responded sooner but I have only just joined the property as General Manager.
I am of course sorry that the standard of accommodation did not meet your expectations. We do have a local maintenance program to help pick up on day-to-day wear and tear. It would be useful to know which room you stayed in so I could investigate the issues you raised.
I was also disappointed to read your comments in reference to the quality of food served and I will of course be discussing this as a matter of urgency with the Head Chef .On a positive note I was pleased to read that a team members offered a “gesture of good will” in an attempt to repair some of the damage already occurred. It is with regret that this gesture was not sufficient to restore your faith in the product or service received on the evening.
It is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard and service.
Thank you once again for your feedback

Reviewed February 28, 2014

We very much enjoyed our trip to this hotel. The staff are very helpful: directed us to a nearby eaterie which was very good in the evening. The room itself was small but given the location, it was bigger than we had anticipated! I generally do not like going to London because it is so hard to find a decent hotel at a decent rate but I was very pleased with this one.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website.It is always a pleasure to read comments about the team at the Hotel. They work exceptionally hard to deliver the best possible customer care and it is very gratifying for them to read feedback such as yours.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Richmond Gate again in the future.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We like to get away to spend a couple of days in a nice hotel with friends. This one was recommended by another online company, and we booked 2 rooms this week for a total of £258 half board (including a £20 dinner contribution). We arrived by car via Richmond Deer Park, and down the hill and up again to the hotel, set high above the Thames, with splendid views. Checking in was swift - rather too swift as the young receptionist failed to ask our car registration number, did we want a newspaper delivered or a wake up call? Or indeed, what time would we like to book dinner for? Perhaps it was her first week.
Our room was on the ground floor with a huge bed,and felt pretty cramped with not enough storage space. The lighting was too dim, which is always a problem for women who find it very difficult to put on their makeup. The ensuite bathroom was adequate and well supplied.
Our visit to the gym was excellent withj friendly, helpful staff, but the large spa pool was disappointing as only 2 of the water vents seemed to be working. Time for an upgrade!
The bar was well furnished, but almost empty before dinner. Not surprising when the first round of 4 drinks came to £27! Dinner on the first night was excellent and thoroughly enjoyed by all 4 of us. Breakfast was a bit of a disappointment and certainly the standard of service and choices available were not up to 4 Star standard. Why no warmed plates for the hot buffet selection? The staff seemed inexperienced and lacked good English skills.
The hotel seemed extraordinarily quiet, especially since it was half term. I'd like to know what the occupancy rate was.
Overall we enjoyed our stay and will have happy memories.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
GMRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Thank you for posting your feedback and I am glad that you have happy memories of your stay with us.

Notwithstanding your positive attitude with regards to your stay, you do offer some very constructive comments in relation to your overall experience and I will review them again with my management team to ensure that we take on board any learning points.It is worth noting that the bar serves double shots of spirits as a standard - and this can sometimes be the reason for an unexpected cost. However, your comments on Reception service and breakfast are duly noted and will be acted upon.

Thanks again for your comments - I hope to see you at Richmond Gate again in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 18, 2014

We stayed in the hotel over the weekend. The hotel's decor is tired. There were cracks in the bathroom walls, the lighting in the bathroom did not work. The menu for dinner had a choice of 4 items. There was peeling and damaged paintwork in the bed and despite turning off the heating it was still ridiculously warm. The hotel was also noisy which really bothers me as a guest. We used the spa facility and to be fair it was the most functional experience I have had to date, it did not exude luxury, it reminded me of how I would moisturise in a hurry. We wouldn't really go back as it was overpriced for what it is.

Room Tip: try the hotel next door
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to feed back your experience.

I am sorry that the standard of accommodation did not meet your expectations. We do have a local maintenance program to help continually pick up on day-to-day wear and tear. It would be useful to know which room you stayed in so I could investigate the issues you raise further and remedy the heating problem. Our restaurant menu changes daily and I would certainly expect a greater selection that 4 dishes - I will pick this up with chef as a matter of concern.

I appreciate the advice to fellow travelers to 'stay next door' is perfectly within your rights, but I am disappointed that we have not had the chance to rectify your problems whilst you were with us - I am sure that my management team could have offered a room move, or suggested some alternative suggestions for dinner.

However, I do appreciate and respect your opinion so thanks again for taking the time.

Kind regards,