“Disappointing” 4 of 5 bubbles

Richmond Gate Hotel
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

I recently had occasion to stay at The Richmond Gate with my wife for two nights by booking with Secret Escapes. As with a previous reviewer, the bedroom we were given bears no resembalance to the room advertsied as an Executive Room. This I would say was disappointing as we had both really looked forward to the break and we do like nice bedrooms. The Hotel Dining Room food was nice but nothing special - I suppose due to the package. Choice was limited, especially as the menu was the same for both nights. Breakfast however, Very Good. We enjoyed ourselves immensely in London so would not let this spoil our break, but don't know whether I would choose or recommend this Hotel for a future break.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Geoff B
GMRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Thank you for your post and I am disappointed that ‘Disappointing’ has been the overall flavour of your review.

As I stated in a previous response, we do have a wide selection of room types and sizes available – albeit with Executive and Suites carrying a supplement charge. I genuinely believe that the photographs on line – such as on this site – are representative and reflective of a range of bedrooms and bathrooms so I am sorry that you feel so let down by your accommodation.

I do accept your point and that the variety on the dinner menu requires some improvement. Whilst business levels were low in January, we did tailor the menu to the limited demand we experienced in the restaurant and whilst we did offer a selection of dishes, I can confirm that a fuller menu offering has now been implemented. I also appreciate your positive feedback on breakfast as this has been an area of focus based on historical criticism.

London, as well as more locally in and around Richmond, are magnificent destinations for a weekend break and I would hope that you consider us again when booking your next short break.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Dorset, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Booked a single night stay at the Richmond Gate Hotel as a quick London break, had a show booked in London, short on time and since we live west, wanted a quick getaway the following morning. I think really I would say this hotel should be awarded three stars, if its a four it really is lower end of the scale. I spent £90 for the night and that is the absolute maximum I would spend here. Room was ok, generally nicely decorated, television and most required necessities. Bed was very nice and comfy, room was a little cold. Biggest letdown was the bathroom - bath had not been cleaned and I had to remove previous users hair from it before using the bath!! Reception staff told and a 'very sorry' was the only response, would expect a bit more of a fuss for a four star! Also shower/bath change valve would not function. However breakfast was good and more than adequate, staff were keen to make sure you had what you wanted. Leisure Club is very squeezed - Reception, Cafe, Gym and Pool is all located next to each other. It seems like a lot of locals use it and I would suggest this is perhaps one of the key ways the business survives, particularly during winter. If you are planning on a 'Spa break' I would look at all the options in the area before finalising on Richmond Gate. Overall a reasonable stay for the money, it did what we wanted it to do. Good location for Richmond and its on the doorstep of the park.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your opinion and taking the time to post it on the site.

I am really sorry about the maintenance issue in the bathroom and I will share your feedback with both my Maintenance Manager & Head Housekeeper so that they may review and rectify their checking processes. Finding any evidence of a previous occupancy is completely unacceptable.

Thanks for the positive reviews of the breakfast and staff service – it is always motivating for the team to read such positive comments. Your perception of the leisure club is indeed correct, we do have a strong, loyal, local membership to support business levels. Whilst we do attempt to manage demand in the gym and pool with a full timetable and specific hours for children, I appreciate that the facility is well attended.

In terms of the rate which you were charged, we do (as is industry standard) set our pricing strategy dependant on market conditions and we regularly benchmark our competitor rates. In my opinion Richmond Gate often offers the most attractive rates in the local market for the facilities on offer. I’m delighted that you enjoyed the location – Richmond Park is indeed a stunning local selling point!

I hope to see you at Richmond Gate again in the future and thanks again for taking the time to share your comments.

Kind regards
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

This hotel is advertised with a picture of a lovely room showing striped wallpaper, luxury furnishings and fresh flowers. The picture certainly bears no resemblance to the reality of my experience. A basement room, no view, cold, poorly maintained bathroom, poor customer service at Reception... I could go on but I'm not a moaner or grumpy person, honest! You should just be aware of what you are booking and head there with the full picture.

This is an old hotel that has definitely seen better days. I'm sure that new management, staff training and a £10 million refit could sort it all out and it would be a nice place but at the moment it is way below par.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not downstairs in the basement!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
GMRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for posting your thoughts and comments – I appreciate the honesty in your sentiment and I am sorry that you feel so let down by the perception you gained from the web-site photographs and other aspects of your stay.

I can assure you that the selection of photographs on line, including on this site, reflect the range of accommodation that we provide at the Hotel – from Suites, to Executive rooms, to Standard rooms. All rooms share similar styles of décor and soft furnishings, albeit there can be a significant difference between sizes dependant on room type. With regard to the lower floor rooms, I appreciate that the views are somewhat limited given the location of the bedrooms, and that of the Hotel itself. Many of the rooms at the front of the Hotel provide good views and the back rooms do look over the garden space that we have.

I am concerned with regard to your comment relating to heating and bathroom maintenance and I have asked my maintenance engineer to check all the bedroom heat & air handling units to ensure that they are working properly. In addition, we undertake regular checks on shower heads, plugs, drains and taps to ensure bathrooms are well maintained and have an on-going grouting programme to maintain a fresh and clean appearance around the ceramic. Whilst I am uncertain of what was specifically wrong with your bathroom, I am sorry for any dissatisfaction caused.

You reference poor customer service at Reception which is hugely disappointing to read. I would welcome further feedback on this statement should you wish to contact me directly. Similarly, I cannot foresee a “£10 million refit” although I can confirm that we do have a rolling maintenance programme to keep on top of the décor around the Hotel and should capital expenditure become available then, of course, we would ensure that it was well publicised for the benefit of all our guests.

We do place a high level of focus on staff training and service. Albeit reading between the lines, I have to presume that your reception experience leads you to the comment about the need for staff training? I reiterate my desire to understand this more fully and I can reassure you that staff behaviour and responsiveness are of upmost importance to my management team and I. I really would welcome and respect more specific detail.

Many thanks again for your feedback. I trust that my response, to some degree, gives reassurance that all customer feedback is respected and understood. I am sorry that we fell short of your mark but I do hope to hear from you directly to enable further review and improvement where required.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stop at this hotel. We received a fantastic winter rate and thought the room, heating, internet and service was excellent. It was quite a walk to the main richmond tube however there was a bus (371) connecting the hotel and tube. We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel and instead choose to eat on the way to the tube. There were plenty of food options if you're prepared to walk a kilometer or so. We also ate around the corner at the Lass O Richmond - an outstanding Sunday roast.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GMRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Many thanks for your positive comments and I am pleased you ensjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you back at RIchmond Gate Hotel in the future.

Your feedback is important to us and we will share it with the team members.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

I wanted to believe that all the poor reviews on here were written by people who just like to moan, but I'm afraid they're all pretty spot on.

I booked a package through spa breaks, it included a full body massage, 2 course dinner, exec room and breakfast.

When we arrived the first thing the receptionist did was spoil the surprise bottle of bubbly by reading it out in front of my wife who's Birthday it was. Clever. When we got to our room there was an empty bottle of champagne in a bucket dumped outside the door. This was never explained or apologised for, I walked it down to reception and asked for a full one to be brought up. The hotel was very quiet but this took an hour to bring up. By which time we had to go to our massage, which was nice but needs soundproofing as all I could hear was the receptionist nattering outside the door. Not relaxing, but we did use the Jacuzzi and sauna which were both great. Dinner was fine. I managed to keep the bubbly cool in the mini bar. The room was really big and looked nice, however the shower was faulty and sprayed up as well as down so flooded the bathroom. Cooked breakfast was just like rubber. Literally like a joke egg, couldn't even cut it. Then on checkout we were charged £5 for parking. I've never been somewhere that does that. All in all I'd some it up by saying it feels like it should be a nice hotel that has been bought by someone with no experience running a hotel. It was very Faulty Towers. Sorry, but it has so much potential and let's itself down badly.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank J_Rob_11
GMRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review and I am sorry that your stay with us was ‘Stressful’ and therefore neither as you, nor I, would expect.

I agree, there is nothing worse than having a planned surprise spoiled (albeit, I am sure inadvertently) and I am truly sorry for that. To compound this, the frustration clearly continued for you with the unacceptable wait for the champagne ice bucket. I have discussed your feedback with my Front Office Manager to ensure that coaching on discretion and responsiveness is prioritised with his team. Please accept my personal apologies for this shortfall in standards.

Whilst I am pleased that you enjoyed dinner and your time in the Jacuzzi & Steam room, I will pass on your comments relating to noise in the treatment room to our General Manager at Cedars for further investigation with a view to improve the sound proofing. Likewise, I have asked my maintenance attendant to investigate and repair the shower head to avoid excess water flooding the bathroom.

When business levels allow, hot breakfast will be served plated as we move into 2014. It is clear that the hot breakfast was not refreshed to an acceptable standard when you attended breakfast. By cooking to order and avoiding the need to leave food in hot dishes, we should certainly improve the quality of the food served to all of our customers.

I am unsure as to how to respond to your comment regarding “Fawlty Towers”. In my view, the most exceptional situation comedy tends to be one that is only fractionally removed from normal, everyday reality. Still, that’s only my opinion, offered with respect and good grace.

I fully appreciate your comments and trust you feel that they have been understood. Many thanks again for taking the time to post them on Trip Advisor and, hopefully, we will see you again in the future.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

My family and I stayed in the Four Poster Room and loved every minute of it. The room was very clean and elegantly decorated, with a fully refurbished and large bathroom. The hotel is a 5 minute drive from Richmond Station and parking is within the hotel premises. Service was very prompt and friendly as well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMRichmond, Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Many thanks for posting your comments and I am pleased that you enjoyed one of our variety of feature rooms at the Hotel.

I will share your feedback with my team and look forward to welcoming you back to Richmond Gate in the future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

I brought my two daughters here to celebrate a 30th birthday with an overnight stay and a spa day. It's in a lovely spot by Richmond Park gates with plenty of parking (£5 charge). We booked through SpaBreaks.com and took the executive suite with balcony (recently refurbished and extremely comfortable, with a well-appointed modern bathroom and a balcony) and were pleasantly surprised to find a complementary bottle of bubbly and fresh fruit on arrival. However, the room was vastly better in terms of decor than the rest of the hotel, which was very dated and dingy - lots of creaky floorboards, ancient grubby patterned carpet, grimy wallpaper.... We began with afternoon tea by the fire in the lobby - served by friendly and accommodating staff who tried their utmost to be helpful, although the quality of the food lacked refinement, (doorstep white bread sandwiches and large heavy scones). Dinner was - well what can I say? Fawlty Towers springs to mind but the staff were falling over themselves to be helpful as they served up what I can only describe as a typically 70s menu in a dark and dingy avocado decor. Classic! We decided to skip the dessert and retire to our room but the staff had a surprise up their sleeve for us - in the form of a celebration Pink Angel Delight pudding for the birthday girl! Inedible maybe, but this was such wonderfully quirky service, we couldn't fault the well-meaning staff and thoroughly enjoyed our evening and our night's stay. Breakfast next morning in the conservatory was mediocre - all self service and no frills.

In terms of the spa, this hotel is connected by a long corridor to a gym and health club with a good pool, hydrotherapy pool and a couple of treatment rooms. Beware however ! this is no relaxing pampering spa hotel. Following a couple of treatments (good) we shared the pool and sauna with at least 20 yummy mummies and daddies with their babies doing 'baby gym' (and sharing the tiny changing room with a lot of nappy changes was definitely not my idea of spa)
All in all we made this a fun stay and we found the staff friendly but for the cost, the food was phenomenally basic and the decor dated and dingy. An experience, but not one I would repeat.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ac_fava
Thank you for spending the time to post your comments following your stay.

I am sorry that - ultimately based on your experience - you would not choose to re-visit the Hotel again in the future. Within your feedback, there are a number of positive and constructively critical points which I will take on board, with my team to pick up where we can improve our product and service.

In terms of the decor and furnishing of the Hotel, we do have an ongoing rolling maintenance programme to ensure that we look after the property and keep it in good order. When funds allow, refurbishment will be planned to help maintain a contemporary product, in line with the period features inherent in the building.

Point taken on the service and food offering - again, we do review and refresh menus on a regular basis to cater for a wide range of visitors, business delegates and leisure guests alike. Whilst I take your comments regarding the staff and service as a positive, I appreciate the ongoing need to refresh the dinner menu to offer seasonality and variety. I also note your comment on 'refinement' and will pass them onto Head Chef for his consideration.

I have shared your feedback in relation to Cedars Leisure Club & Spa with my fellow General Manager down there. With strong membership support from the local residents, we continue to anticipate and service their needs. Clearly, we have a case of '2 worlds colliding' when we then attract residents looking for a relaxing spa experience. I have asked my colleague to ensure that children's times are added to the website to ensure that future residents can plan their stay and use of the facilities around the permitted children's hours - which I can confirm are already highly restricted. I am sorry for the disappointment that this caused you.

It is my hope that this response will offer you some reassurance and peace of mind that the Richmond Gate product & service remain a central focus in all we set out to achieve. As such, I do hope that you reconsider your decision not to repeat your experience in the future.

Many thanks again for your valued and constructive feedback.