“Great improvements to the spa”

Richmond Gate Hotel
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I always stay at this hotel when I am working in London. I love it's friendly, family atmosphere combined with good food and spotlessly clean rooms. The on,y downside has been the spa being closed for nearly a year. BUT it is now open and WOW what a fabulous facility. For me this adds a sixth star to this excellent hotel. Thank you Richmond Gate.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank julieawin

Reviewed September 2, 2013

First of all - make sure taht you have the right hotel - the name is very similar to the one next door!
A comfortable hotel -especuially as we were upgraded even though we were on a special deal - but this wasn't recognised by the staff who took the full room rate off the credit card at the start of our stay! However, when we left everything was resolved and we were mightily relieved.
The main issue that we had was the climb up the stairs to our room on the third floor. Howeever the spacious accommodation was well worth the walk and carrying of our luggage! There is no elevator.
The hotel is extremely well situated for Wimbledon and we enjoyed walks around Richmond Park and into Richmond.
Wifi is alsmost useless it is so slow.
We didn't use the breakfast room or the bar - nor the swimming pool or spa because of lack of time but we did check them out and they seemed very good.
The staff sometimes had difficulty understanding our requirements but they were very obliging and helpful.
Car parking is a little tight and exiting is difficult without getting out of the car to press the code keys.
Our bed was very comfortable and clean and the mini-bar came in useful for our wine.
The bathroom was comfortable - lots of hot water and towels.
All in all a good stay - but I would hate to have to pay full price!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are quiet. There is no elevator - but there is help to carry bags. Wi-fi is ver...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
AndrewLee191301, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you for writing and review and I was pleased that you had an enjoyable stay. The hotel does not have a lift due to the age of the building so please make us aware prior to arrival if you require a room with fewer stairs. The staff will always assist with luggage. Please accept my apologies if you were initially billed incorrectly, but I am very pleased that my team resolved this for you.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed at the Richmond Gate Hotel in August over bank holiday weekend for GBP 89 per night for a standard room, having found a deal at Secret Escapes online. Part of the deal was a late check out at 2:00 pm.

Pros:
- Comfy beds and linens, clean rooms, lovely quiet room with courtyard view, tea and coffee in room.
- Great spa, gym and pool - all very well looked after and included for hotel visitors.
- Location away from it all, you feel like you could be in the country at the top of Richmond hill. Two fantastic pubs two minutes walk away from hotel.

Cons:
- Included Buffet Breakfast only served until 10 am
- Rooms on the smaller side

Location:
You're a 10 minute walk from all the shops in Richmond - the location isn't in the heart of Richmond which could be a pro or a con depending on what you're looking for.

All in all a great little stay and would recommend to couples and families as a value option without sacrificing quality or comfort.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard might not have a balcony and face the street, but will be quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for writing and review and I was pleased that you had an enjoyable stay. For a larger room please book an executive, four poster or junior suite. As you state the location is very good and allows you the beauty of Richmond Park or a small walk into Richmond town centre.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

My family and I stayed here for 2 night in a suite. The room was lovely and the location is great, the use of the spa was wonderful but there was a few problems with the hotel. We had a problem with ants in the room and in my sons bed. There was also no blind in the bathroom opposite the shower that looked out onto the main road. (i noticed once in the shower) The breakfast (cooked) is poor and the service was very very slow. I had £100 taken as a held payment on arrival and this took 6 days to go back into my account. We was offered a stay again and we used the cottage that was on the grounds. I must say the cottage itself was very nice but some parts of the decor was run down and needed cleaning and replacing.some points breaching health and safety regulations. on this stay the breakfast service was again very slow. I was given a bill for a phone call that the staff had made from the cottage on check out. I think the Hotel is nice and in a great location but I do not think it lives u to its 4 *s. I have had emails letting me know the comments and complaint I had made them aware of have been dealt with but this did not take the problems away from my stay and the money I spent.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for writing and review. As discussed with you the ants unfortunately were a “one off” issue and were dealt with immediately and the problem resolved. We did try to look after your family on both occasions and I have taken all of your comments on board and discussed with my team. All feedback is gratefully received.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stayed just one night at this hotel. If the opportunity occurs again we will certainly return. The staff were most welcoming. We arrived quite late so were unable to make use of the great facilities that were on offer, such as the pool and fitness center. The bar is very pleasant and there are lots of areas where one can sit quietly. Up early and a quick stroll in Richmond Park. Room was good though I thought 'a little tired'.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for writing and review and I was pleased that you had an enjoyable stay. I will review your bedroom and ensure that the maintenance manager reviews this as I would hope that all rooms are maintained to a high standard.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on a Friday night. before we were meeting friends in Windsor the next day. We actualy booked it through Secret Escapes so we had a great deal on the room plus a £25 off voucher as we had recommended Secret Escapes to a friend. The hotel is lovely, although a long walk up Richmond Hill and situated right next to Richmond Park. When we checked in and got our room key we discovered that there were already people in the room - good job we only saw their suitcase and shoes on the floor as we went in or it could have been very embarassing! However the reception were extremely apologetic and offered us an upgrade.Needless to say the room was amazing! It had a four poster bed and the room was big enough to house a sofa and chairs - I think this would have been the equivalent of one of the executive rooms that are normally around £375 per night! My only concern about the hotel is that they take £50 off a credit card for 'incidentals'. If you don't use anything else the money is put back on the card but I still found this unnecessary, as I will still be charged by my card holder for a £50 transaction for nothing and I am not sure when that will get put back on my card. They already have card details from the room booking so I don't see why they have to take a £50 transaction.

Room Tip: Room 14 was amazing!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for writing a review and I was very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay. Please accept my sincere apologies that you were initially booked into an occupied room, but I am very pleased that this was dealt with efficiently and that we were also able to give you a complimentary upgrade to a junior suite. The pre-authorisation is purely to allow you credit facilities within the hotel to charge for food and beverage as an example – we normally ask for £50 per night. If you would prefer to pay cash as and when you order anything then that is fine, but it is purely to make the process easier for the guest. Whatever you do not use we then released on your departure. I hope that you will stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We only stayed a night here but it was a welcomed relief the bed was a lovely big queen size and extremely comfortable, the whole place was so clean and beautifully presented, the bathroom and shower really great too, and excellent fast service, very much appreciated for weary travellers, plus the wifi is really good a and strong even in the rooms and free everywhere in the hotel! This hotel is really well situated right next to the gorgeous Richmond Park, and within easy walking distance to the shopping centre and an excellent pub which we had dinner at (sorry cannot remember the name but it is a hop skip and jump down the road on the same side as this hotel!) there are some lovely walks also to the Thames and cafes along the way too! We would definitely be back here we really enjoyed our stay! The only negative would be breakfast is a bit exy at £16.50 per person we felt this was too steep so we ate elsewhere, but there are plenty of choices just down the road!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for writing a review and I was very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and hope that you will stay with us again in the near future.