“A real gem”

Richmond Gate Hotel
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a real gem, one to keep quiet from others so you can keep it for yourself! A great location - a pleasant 15 minutes walk from the tube.. spacious rooms .... welcoming public rooms... good food ... good bar. ... with great staff - they're very friendly and couldn't do enough for us. The price was great too - I'd looked around for days on end before I found this hotel. expect to pay double elsewhere for this quality hotel. A 4 star hotel at 3 star prices. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: June 2013
AndrewLee191301, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Thank you for writing a review and I am very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel and hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Andrew Lee

Write a ReviewReviews (1,033)

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I have just returned from a stay at the Richmond Gate Hotel, I would definitely recommend it to anyone. The hotel is in a beautiful location, the views as you take the 5 minute walk to the town are specular, Richmond Park is also only a stones throw away. The hotel was very clean, the staff were lovely, nothing was any bother and the food was excellent and plenty off it! The hotel has a wonderful garden which we were able to sit out in and they also have on site leisure facilities, pool, Jacuzzi and sauna. Our room was large with a beautiful bathroom and most important the bed was very comfortable. I would definitely go back and bring the whole family.

Room Tip: Any, they were all lovely.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for writing a review and I am very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel and hope to welcome you back with the “whole family” in the near future.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Food and service was excellent, amazing location with garden and views over river. Short walk to Richmond Park and Town Centre. Staff very friendly and helpful, also easily accessible to London. Would definately visit again.

Room Tip: Rooms to front had balcony
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
AndrewLee191301, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyable your stay at the hotel and that the team looked after you well. The enclosed gardens are a very pleasant relaxing area at the hotel as long as the English weather is kind.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Richmond Gate last week. Was on a brief visit with a large group and the hotel staff were very attentive and welcoming. The quiet garden to rear was lovely Location was great - right on the edge of the tranquil Richmond Park with splendid open views over the city and a pleasant walk down into Richmond town centre with its many shops and boutiques.The room was very spotless and bed exceptionally comfortable, I had to leave early for a flight and sadly missed out an excellent breakfast which my colleagues had. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to you!!!

Room Tip: I had a lovely room overlooking the garden . Room 204
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

I was very pleased to read that you and your group had a very enjoyable stay at the hotel and hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to Richmond.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We booked an Executive Twin room for 1 night. The room was large, clean & very well equipped with a HUGE bathroom. It had an over the bath shower which I sometimes find not as good as purpose built showers, but this one was a power shower with really good water pressure. Despite overlooking the road at the front the room was very quiet & we heard no noise at all during the night. Breakfast was very good with lots of choice & extra tea and coffee arrived very quickly after we requested it.
All in all a good stay in order to attend my brother in law's 70th Birthday Party.

Room Tip: We had Room 41 on the slightly raised ground floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
AndrewLee191301, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

I was very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel to attend your brother in law’s 70th Birthday. The bedrooms in the older part of the hotel are all different shapes and sizes and some do have large bathrooms. We have worked hard to improve the choice and service at breakfast and I am pleased you enjoyed the experience.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I visited this hotel for afternoon tea as part of a birthday treat which included entry to Kew Gardens. I booked tea by email and waited four days (and sent a reminder) before I had a response. I was sent my ticket for the gardens and confirmation of the booking by email.

Kew is a 50 minute walk from the Hotel so the two are not really suitable to be done together unless you drive; public transport between the two is not at all quick or easy.

We went to the gardens first and left in good time to get to the hotel on time. When we arrived, a member of staff showed us to the bar and took our order for tea or coffee. While we were waiting he asked to see the voucher that we were given at the garden. We were not given a voucher and nowhere in the correspondence from the hotel, did it say we would need one. I showed him the emailed ticket and emailed booking that I had received from the hotel and he copied down the voucher code.

Our tea arrived and was delicious but perhaps refills of tea and coffee could have been offered. Nevertheless, we were enjoying the experience. About half way through the meal, my son called to wish me happy birthday and while I was speaking to him, there was a discussion going on between two members of staff nearby. The man who had earlier taken my voucher code, then came over to my partner and asked to see proof that we had been to Kew Gardens. He asked if we still had our entry tickets. I knew that they were in my handbag so I ended my phone call and found them. I asked what the problem was and he said we should have been given a voucher at the gardens and unless we could prove we had been there, we would have to pay for the tea. He said he would have to contact the gardens and get them to email him to confirm we had visited.

He went away and returned 15 minutes later to say that it was all OK because the hotel had emailed me a voucher and booked me in by email. This was the email and voucher that I had shown him when I arrived!

By this time my tea had been spoiled. I had been made to feel as if I was trying to defraud the hotel and had my lovely birthday afternoon was marred.

I am still at a loss as to what the problem was but whatever it was, it should have been handled very differently. It was extremely rude to interrupt our tea (twice); the waiter should have left the discussion to the end. There are definitely some training needs in this hotel which is a shame because the surroundings were pleasant and the food was delicious.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Please accept my sincere apologies that the booking and redemption policy was not explained to you correctly. Some vouchers/tickets are issued by the hotel and some via third party sites. For the third party sites we have to retain the original voucher to be able to claim the money. The procedure should be that regardless of whether you book via the hotel or third party site you are issued with a voucher. When you come for your afternoon tea you are then requested to hand the voucher in and the food and beverage team are briefed to ask all guests for a voucher. Had this been explained to you correctly at the booking stage you would not have encountered the problems that you did. I have spoken with the reception manager to ensure that all of the team are retrained in the correct procedures to follow. I was pleased that you did enjoyed the surrounding and afternoon tea.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed at the Richmond Gate hotel the day before my friend's wedding. On arrival I found my pokey room over-looking a shed surrounded by drinks bottles with no natural sunlight. On the day of the wedding we ordered room service to the room where the bride and I were getting ready (an egg sandwich so didn't even require cooking) - we waited an hour and on chasing up the order was told they had "forgotten about it". It arrived as we were leaving the room for the bridal car....The bride's romantic stay in the bridal suite was somewhat tainted when she reached behind the sofa to find the underwear of the bride who had stayed there the night before....all in all a rather disappointing experience all round.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Anon79_13

Please accept my sincere apologies that you did not have an enjoyable stay. The drinks have now been removed that were viewable from your bedroom. I have spoken with the F&B team to ensure that all orders are processed in a speedy manner and also spoken with the housekeeper concerning ensuring all rooms are thoroughly checked prior to the next guest’s arrival.