“Improvements since my last review”

Richmond Gate Hotel
Southwold
“Improvements since my last review”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

This hotel is excellent at listening to customer feedback I was thrilled to find new toiletries in my bathroom. These include shampoo, body wash and body lotion. These are all very good and make such a difference when you are travelling. Thank you Richmond Gate. The staff remain friendly and very helpful and the pool is lovely!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
AndrewLee191301, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for writing a review and I am pleased that you enjoy your stays at Richmond Gate. We do try to listen to customer feedback and take action and I am pleased you are enjoying the new toiletries.

Andrew Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

We have just returned from Sunday lunch at The Richmond Gate Hotel. We are visiting from our home in France and took familly members to lunch there. We were a party of seven. They do a three course Sunday lunch at £19.95 per which was affordable, so we booked. One of the main courses was roast ribeye of beef with Yorkshire Pudding, horseradish roast potatoes and vegetables. This was chosen by five guests. When the meal finally arrived, there was no Yorkshire pudding. We queried this. There had been a problem in the kitchen and the waiter apologised but said the chef could still make it and it would take 'seven or eight minutes'. Twenty five minutes later when we had finished our meal, the Yorkshire pudding arrived. The service was appallingly slow.
The quality of the food was fine but we were at table for three hours to eat three courses, so you can do the maths.
There was a sting in the tail when the bill came. We had pre lunch drinks in the bar. Two glasses of white wine cost £16. I ordered a medium dry sherry which I would expect to be available in a four star hotel, but it wasn't, so I went for dry. It was poured into a tumbler and my husband had to tell the barman it wasn't appropriate to serve it like that(a small sherry was £6). Seven coffees after dinner cost £28 which I still can't quite believe. I quite agree with another reviewer that this is not central London. There was an automatic service charge of 10% added to the bill (£25in this case) which in retrospect we should have challenged but did not want to upset our guests.
Don't get me wrong, the waiting staff were perfectly nice but the tediously dragged out time and the pretty outrageous price of drinks and coffees left a bad impression. Only go there if you are prepared to wait and have a fat wallet. I give it two out of five overall only because the food was acceptable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Please accept my apologies that you did not have an enjoyable Sunday Lunch experience. We did have an accident in the kitchen, which resulted in the Yorkshire Puddings having to be discarded and I apologies that the waiter said it would only take 7/8 minutes as this is not sufficient time. We have carried out additional training with the service team with regard to service to ensure that we can offer the level of service expected.

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed here two nights with work and it was very nice. Having read the previous reviews I was a little nervous, but it was fine! Check in however was very slow, with one member of staff who was on the phone whilst checking our party in. My room was lovely, very comfortable bed and a quiet hotel too which is an added bonus. Breakfast was fine as I only had continental, but colleagues waited a long time for hot food, and requests for tea and sauces were forgotten. My only small gripe was that the heating came on in the early hours and my radiator was very noisy. I got up and turned it off which solved the problem, but it was a little annoying.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for writing a review. Please accept my apologies if the check in process was slow. I was pleased that you enjoyed your room. On the majority of days subject to how busy the hotel is we do cook all hot breakfasts to order, which may take a little longer than a buffet service, but the general feedback I am receiving is that guests prefer this. On busy breakfast days we do operate the buffet so that guests can help themselves to ensure that breakfast can be served in a reasonable time. The maintenance manager has reviewed the radiator in your room and resolved the noise issue you experienced. I was pleased that in general you enjoyed the hotel I hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel. Bit overpriced and happily charge you £9.50 for a G&T - and this isn't central London.
Good location near Richmond Park entrance gate (hence name) but not walkable from station; easy walk to town centre and facilities.
Communal areas feel country house style albeit slightly tired.

To cap it all, I've been served pre cooked chicken for lunch and an apricot desert described as 'fresh cream apricot desert' and it was frozen.
Shocking for an apparent four star hotel.

1 Thank 74DannyC
Thank you for writing a review. We do serve spirits in measures of 50ml, but are happy to reduce this to 25ml on request. The hotel is a 10-15 minute walk to Richmond town centre and train/tube station and the walk offer’s stunning views of the Thames and Twickenham stadium. A bus service is available for anyone wishing not to walk or alternatively a taxi can be ordered. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your lunch. The chicken is cooked from fresh on a daily basis. We make the majority of the desserts served at the hotel, but do buy some. Please accept my sincere apologies if this had not been defrosted correctly. I hope that your comments will not deter you from staying with us again in the future.

Northern Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Spent a few days at Richmond Gate while over for Rugby match at Twickenham. Beautiful location set high above Thames. Short walk into Richmond town and only a minutes walk to Richmond Park. Staff couldn't be more helpful and breakfast was first class. Twickenham was 50 min walk. Petersham Nurseries about 15-20 mins walk. Some great eating places nearby.

• Stayed April 2013
AndrewLee191301, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for writing a review and I was very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay. I hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to Richmond.

Alconbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Right on the edge of Richmond Park, a short walk to views over the River Thames, the location is fabulous. When we booked in we were offered an upgrade to an executive suite. The room, on the ground floor, was very well appointed. We did not use the spa. The staff were very courteous, but friendly. The menu for the evening meal was varied, and was available in either the bar or in the restaurant. We opted for an early meal in the restaurant and the food was well cooked and presented and the service was excellent. Our only regret was at 6 am, when we were woken to the sound of small feet running around the room above us. A 4* hotel should not have an executive suite directly underneath a family room! If I had been paying full price for the room I would have been extremely upset.

Room Tip: Ensure that there is not a family room directly over your room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
AndrewLee191301, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for writing a review. I was pleased that in general you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel and enjoyed your meal and the service received for dinner. Please accept my apologies that you were disturbed by other guests above your room early in the morning. We have a number of different standards of bedrooms that range over 4 floors. Executive bedrooms are available on all levels. Due to the age of the building and regulations we do not have a lift at the hotel but are more than happy to assist guests to bedrooms with luggage to all floor levels. I hope that you will stay with us again on your next visit to Richmond.

Biggleswade
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed for one night to attend a freinds wedding. Staff very helpful lovely location, right on the park. Romms were modern with a nice powerful shower.
Decent breakfast included in the price which was very reasonable. Wou
ld definately stay agaiin.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for writing a review. I was very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel and hope that you will return again in the near future.