“My worse stay in a hotel for years with 8 legged friends”

Richmond Gate Hotel
rob140567
“My worse stay in a hotel for years with 8 legged friends”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

I often read horror stories on trip advisor and think they would never happen in a hotel they would be out of business. Sadly my stay in the Richmond Gate has made me think again.

On arrival I enquired about dinner and was told no becuase restaurant was full. Fair enough but maybe a " could we book you somewhere else, could we do you a sandwich in your room or a bar snack would have been nice. I got no help at all which set the tone for the stay.

I was in room 40 which is a baseroom room someway from reception, down narrow corridors and several steps finishing off with two flights of stairs. Just as well I could manage my bags as no one offered any assistance. My first impression was room was spacious and looked ok, mini bar although as per normal expensive was stocked and all seemed well. Although room was cold it had a heater which worked.

As i had to now go out to eat i decided to shower and change. Shower stayed luke warm for about 30 seconds before going cold. Bathroom had two large spiders in, cracked title and mould on the tiles. Attached is a picture of cracked tile and spider.

When I went out I spoke with reception who said thats not good but offered no apology or any offer to remedy the problem.

I returned to the hotel about 10:30 to find a large function going on and band playing. When i got to my room ready for a good nights sleep ahead of my long drive the next day i was horrified to find the noise was such that I could not hear the TV, sound was best from TV as picture quality very poor. I called reception who said the function would finish at 11:15 and that would be the end of the noise. I asked if I was below the function as ceiling was being pounded constantly, I was assured I was not. At 11:45 and on my 3rd call to reception I asked to move room, I was told there were no other rooms. The music stopped about 23:55 but the people walking about and talking (which I could hear quite clearly) carried on until about 01:00. It also appears that outside my window was a smoking point. I tried the hotel website to check on booking and strangely enough you could still book rooms which is interesting if they had none left!

I awoke early next morning to find my leg and foot covered in insect bites (see attached picture). I killed another spider in bathroom, had another luke warm/cod shower, used the loo which sounds like an aircraft taking off when you flush it and left.

At the check out no attempt was made to see if I enjoyed my stay so i volunteered to the lady that I had just had an awful night, I had been bitten by insects, shower was awful and this was my worse in stay in a hotel for years. She said "thats a shame". I left before my temper made me say something I regretted.

I called the hotel twice yesterday to speak to a duty manager, told both times I would get a call back. Still waiting

Truly awful experience. Room was £119 which is good value by G&T in bar was £10 and I was charged for parking which was not made clear to me.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
8 Thank Rob B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Southwold
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

It was great to stay at my favourite London hotel under new management. It is always a lottery when a new manager arrives sweeping clean, however Andrew Lee has brought a breath of fresh air with his lively and thoughtful approach. Staff smile more and engage with guests easily and in a relaxed and friendly manner. The menu has improved and ther are lots of healthy choices. The chef still makes his delicious cookies for those naughty yet pleasurable moments when calories don't matter! The rooms are much the same and are kept spotlessly clean by the staff. This is excellent and an outstanding feature of this hotel. I love the quirkiness of this hotel with its unashamed mix of Georgian and Rugby - well Twickenham is but a balls throw from this delightful hotel. As always the walk to the station is a great start to the day after an early morning swim in the fabulous spa facilties. On my last stay in early November I sat and watched no less than 7 firework displays all going off somewhere over the river and easily visible from their heights of Richmond Hill.

Thanks again to all at the Richmond Gate for a fabulous stay!

Room Tip: I like a garden view best.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Ryde, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Booked on booking. com and asked not to be in the basement and you've guessed we were put in the basement! Would expect a good room even when booking late so as to attract repeat business. The hotel was clearly not busy. Staff at reception were courteous and very friendly. Room was very small and basic. The water pressure was almost non-existent in the sink and bath, only just enough to have a shower! We were not told when booking that on Sundays dinner is not served and you have to eat in the bar which was very uncomfortable. Breakfast was definitely not worth £16.50, the eggs were badly under cooked. Would not go again or recommend.

Room Tip: Try asking not to be put in the basement!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Having found the hotel on late rooms we appreciated that we were getting a sizeable discount on the rack rate and certainly got very good value for our stay. Two families were accommodated in rooms 20 and 22 both spacious rooms with excellent views from the front of the building (although I would imagine the next floor would have even better views). Reception was very busy on arrival and although there was a delay checking in this was dealt with efficiently with an apology for the wait. At all times we found staff both friendly and helpful - although numbers of people can cause delays the staff remained polite and always apologised for any wait. Breakfast was very good although not enough tables for all the residents in the hotel this created no more than a short wait. Spa facilities very good staff very helpful and accommodating jacuzzi not working was a disappointment but everything was free! However the hotel does need to resolve its dinner service, the staff are more than helpful but the quality of food needs serious attention. On the first evening due to the late arrival of my brothers family we chose to eat in - perhaps the fact as there was only one other couple in the dining room this should have caused us pause to reconsider. Not cheap and certainly not up to the standard expected of a four star hotel. As the only seven left in the dining room the delay in serving our main course was unexpected but the fact that the adult meals were lukewarm at best was disappointing. The quality of the children's meals was particularly poor.
Would recommend to others and would return but would look to eat out

• Stayed November 2012
caerphilly
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

Arrived an hour early but our room was ready and we were allowed to check in. Room was fine, large clean modern bathroom. Parking was easy and walk to nearest bars and shops of Richmond was 15 mins down hill. Lovely area visited Richmond park next door, well worth a visit.
Caught train to central London, station was 20 mins walk away, advisable to get a taxi back if you've had a busy day sightseeing or shopping.
Extra bed for 11 year old provided was only really suitable only for a toddler, son could not sleep on the very thin mattress and could feel the springs, I have better padding on my garden sun loungers. Did raise this next day with housekeeping, they were helpful but the blanket they placed over the springs did not solve the problem, a good nights sleep is a minimum requirement when staying in a hotel, and even put up beds should have a proper mattress.
Breakfast was busy as dining area very small, however this wasn't a problem but we all found the food tasteless and the English breakfast was greasy.
Pack lunch provided with deal was fresh and good value.
All the staff were helpful and nothing was too much trouble, however I would not stay in this hotel again due to the sleeping problems and disappointing breakfast. I would recommend the area if you wanted somewhere close to London without the hustle of being in the centre.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed in a standard room, which was nice but on the small side. Very comfortable bed, fantastic shower.
We went for a spa break, recommend the massage and facial. The pool was a disappointment: not very big, full of children in a swimming lesson....nowhere to relax before or after treatments.
Excellent evening meal -the scallops on seafood risotto was delicious as was the strawberry tea and the breakfast....spa break good value for money.
Hotel well placed for sightseeing on the outskirts of London: Kew, Hampton Court etc

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dover, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Everything was very comfortable, the room rate was very reasonable and breakfast was good. Service was excellent and all the staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. The shower was excellent. Only two minor niggles - the rooms are quite cramped and the choice of TV channels seemed to be very limited.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family