“A classy hotel”

Richmond Gate Hotel
Stockport, United Kingdom
“A classy hotel”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

A very good hotel in an excellent position. Service as one would expect.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Reviewed August 16, 2011

The location on top of Richmond Hill, close to the Park, overlooking the Thames and nearby lovely Richmond is picture perfect. The hotel itself is nice with good and modernized rooms (incl. bathrooms) but with a small crew of staff only. A bit of patience is necessary as service cannot be as swift as in a large chain operated hotel.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We stayed here for our wedding – my MoH and I the night before, and my new husband and I the night of. As our wedding was at the nearby Pembroke Lodge and many of our family and guests international or from other parts of the UK, we held rooms at the RGH to give them the option to be close to us.

The service was fine albeit slow in the bar area, and there were some nice touches such as a congratulatory bottle of bubbly, plus the lovely receptionist helped us attach my father’s button hole before we headed off for the ceremony.

The more recently done rooms on the ground floor seemed to be of a good standard, my parents were pleased with theirs, and our suite was lovely. My MoH’s room was significantly smaller but finished to a good quality. Unlike the previous poster, we were, frustratingly, told we had to wait until I checked in to find whether we had been allocated the room my husband had taken a liking to.

We did encounter a few problems. I found out that there were errors made in the number or rooms booked and that a couple of my friends had been overcharged. Although it was only by £10/20 each I found it embarrassing as these people had already spent a lot of money to join our day and I felt I’d mislead them. When I questioned this with Ivanka, the lady who managed the block bookings, she initially suggested it was our error. She also messed up with the number of rooms required for my family (I saw my mother’s email to her and it was quite clear to me) and again dealt with it in a very confrontational manner. This was disappointing as we invested a not inconsiderable amount of money and time into arranging our wedding accommodation for ourselves and our guests, and I would have expected, from a hotel of the standing they purport to be, minimal errors and excellent service.

The other disappointment was when we tried to reserve a table for 12 people for a post wedding brunch and were told that they couldn’t do this in the breakfast area, but they could offer us a private room for a hire of £250. Considering the breakfast area was fairly empty on the morning in question I did feel like we were considered cash cows rather than valued guests. We had our brunch elsewhere.

Overall this isn’t a bad hotel, the room we stayed in was lovely, and our guests seemed happy with their rooms and stay. However, given the above-mentioned disappointments, I’d hesitate to stay here again. The rates were high and the service should have matched the rates. We should not have encountered the problems we did and they should not have been addressed with the attitude they were addressed with. RGH, pull up your socks and treat your guests with a little more warmth and respect.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Taniwha_Blue
Reviewed August 2, 2011

On the surface, the hotel looks very nice. It is located just a short walk from Richmonds city center and has access to the Cedars health spa. The rooms are well decorated and very modern. After spending a few hours here, the shiny exterior seemed to come off. There was a glowing purple bug zapper right outside our window, i was terrified of what size creatures that thing was catching. The walls were so thin, we could hear everything going on in the hallway and our neighbors rooms 24/7. I swear it sounded like they were moving furniture all night long. The next day, we took a nap from 12-2 and put out the do not disturb sign. For the rest of the day, the please service sign was out. When we arrived back at our room around midnight, the room still had not been cleaned. When we called to ask why, no answer or apology was given. The staff seemed irritated when we asked for replacement towels. The only perk after this was the staff was helpful with our luggage upon our departure. Overall, very disappointing, especially considering the price per night. I do not expect to return or recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank honeymooner4life
UK
Reviewed July 31, 2011

This hotel is at the very top of Richmond Hill, meaning it is quite a walk from Richmond train station. The walk up to the hotel is beautiful because of the view and the lovely properties you walk past, but it was hard work. There are plenty of taxis at the station which you could use instead. The hotel is really quiet and it has an ample free car park. Rooms are of a decent size and are nicely decorated. The pool and spa facilities are good too, although watch out for after-school swimming lessons taking over the pool.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone going to Kew Gardens or Richmond Park.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Very nive location, small rooms, friendly people at reception. Service in the restaurant was relatively poor, probably there was not enough personnel. It took too long to order, wine never arrived. Breakfast on Saturday morning not possible before 8.00AM.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank PeterBranch
Rome, Georgia
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We had heard so much about the Richmond area; disappointingly, after we checked in at the Richmond Gate we felt like we had picked the wrong place to stay. Walking in, the lobby is beautifully decorated for a Julia Roberts movie set from the 1980's. Think flowered chintz and dark wood. I could live with that--decor is no reason to judge a hotel. However, the smell of steamed canned vegetables and old food wafting from the bar did emphasize a disappointing turn.

Smells seemed to be the theme of our stay there--from the continuing odor of overcooked peas to the wafts of chlorine from the pool. Although the staff was very nice and accommodating, they also seemed impersonal and distant. The hotel offers free wi-fi, but no business center. This means anything that requires printing (like boarding passes for a flight) requires a favor from the front desk. All of this adds to the very odd feeling that one has stepped back in time--which I do not mind, of course, but if I'm time traveling, I'd prefer the 1880's to the 1980's.

Room Tip: When you book, insist that they give you a room facing Richmond Park, preferably on a higher floor.