“Hidden gem”

The Petersham Hotel
Kellington, United Kingdom
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 1 night for a family party , the hotel was first class although maybe a little old fashioned , the bed was so comfy and it was quiet , I did not know such a place existed so close to town
Would stay again

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I live not far from the Petersham, but wanted somewhere really special for some friends to stay for a few days when they were over. We had dinner there. The meal was excellent and my friends kept raving about the room, the beds and the service. They gave me a tour of their room and it was lovely. The hotel is Victorian but the amenities are 21st century. The Petersham has wonderful views across Petersham Meadows to the River Thames and is in easy walking distance of Richmond. If you are staying there do visit the Terrace Gardens which sits alongside the Petersham and down to the towpath along the river.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Someone at work won a two course meal at the Petersham Restaurant in a charity raffle and gave it to me. We went there today. What a lovely place. Staff were faultless especially the Maitre D who knew precisely what was going on in his restaurant, where everyone was and what should be happening.

The food was superb, the service excellent, the views across Petersham Meadows and the Thames absolutely amazing and calming. PLUS the poshest ladies toilets in Europe!!

We would never have thought of going there for lunch thinking it was extremely expensive however, looking at the menu, we would be happy to go there every now and then for a treat. I am going to have a look at how much their Sunday lunch is as we often treat ourselves when we have had a busy week.

It is a thumbs up from me and the husband for the Petersham although I do have to say that I agree with the comments about the parking. I had no trouble actually parking but getting out of my parking space was quite difficult as there were cars parked in the middle of the car park between the two marked rows. I have a new car and had to do several manoeuvres to get out of the parking space to avoid smacking a Porsche (Company insurance would not have been happy with that!).

We have been to many good restaurants and hotels and in some of them the staff are a bit snooty, the staff at the Petersham are excellent. Looking forward to going back.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed here just for one night as we were attending a wedding nearby. As we would hardly be in the room we booked the cheapest double available - £165!! For that sort of price the room was pretty disappointing - small and in need of refurbishment - peeling paint and varnish on furniture. On the plus side the location and views are stunning. The only meal we had was the breakfast which was excellent - it's not often you get a cooked breakfast freshly made (versus buffet) these days and the food and breakfast room were first rate. If I stayed in Richmond again I'd probably try somewhere else - but some of the larger rooms at a better rate may well change my view.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
london
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Went for lunch with work colleagues, we had the set lunch menu which had plenty of choice, i opted for the skate which was absolutely gorgeous followed by Creme Brulee again lovely. The service was excellent and the setting is just beautiful i would highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jodie1London
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This lovely restaurant make you feel like a princess, i had tea here with 2 friends and 4 family members for my 20th. The staff were warm and welcoming (no looking down their noses as can be the case in places like this) they were just wonderful- nothing was too much trouble, even the manager putting my birthday flowers into water and in a lovely vase on the table.
The lovely french waiter who served us was friendly and did everything he could to make our afternoon perfect.
The tea was delicious and the cakes were too die for! We ended up bringing the left overs home and enjoying them the next afternoon, the scones were fresh and light and the pastries were just delicious.
A wonderful afternoon and a beautiful view to enjoy in the warm afternoon sun! Comfortable and just delicious, left feeling full and happy.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank katie h
Niceville, Florida
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Not knowing where to stay in Richmond, and not being able to stay with friends as they had house guest, they recommended The Petersham Hotel. I must say, they made an excellent recommendation. I adored the fact that upon entering, you do not see the front desk, but a grand staircase. The rooms were impeccably clean and very roomy. The bathroom was a dream. Plenty of closet and drawer space for my clothes throughout. WiFi service was fantastic. Breakfast was perfect. Afternoon drinks with that view of the Thames was breathtaking. The staff was very accommodating and laundry service was impeccable. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel or it's staff. I will say, I came in EARLY in the morning one day and the staff gave a good ribbing about me having a great time....and I did. I highly recommend this property to stay. It is just down the hill from Richmond Park, across the road from the Thames River, and a few minutes walk to the train station. In-town, but out-of-town at the same time. Perfect. Cheers!!!!!

Room Tip: I preferred the rooms that faced the woods on the top floor as they are more private and you can hav...