“Claustrophobic” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Richmond Hill Hotel

Richmond Hill Hotel
“Claustrophobic”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

After making a booking and paying extra for a 'superior' room, we arrived early and we're pleasantly surprised to find our room was ready for us.
The staff of reception were helpful and gave us lots of advice regarding the local area.
Our room however was much smaller than expected and not at all in any way superior, the bathroom was tiny and very awkward to use as the bathroom opened directly onto the sink basin.
We did go to reception to query whether or not we had a superior room and we're informed that we had, no alternative was offered!
We dined in the restaurant that evening, food and service both excellent.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Chobham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

I stayed for one night in March 2014. Upon arrival I was greeted warmly, the reception and staff at this point were top notch. I was even given a free upgrade to what was called a 'Superior' double room. So, why does my review not have 5 stars. My issues are with the rooms themselves. Staying on a positive note, the best thing about it was the shower... nice and powerful and did the trick. So, the bad stuff... well...
* The walls appear to be VERY thin... if you are a light sleeper like me, expect to be woken up throughout the night.
* The communal door to reception as well as all the room doors are not what I call 'Soft Close'. This means if you set your alarm for 9am so you can have a lay-in... forget it... because at 7am, you will be woken to a chorus of doors slamming.
* The King size bed is 2 joined together, so whatever you do, don't sleep in the middle. Overall I found that the bed was too big for the room (or the other way around depending on which way you look at it).
* Finally, the air conditioning unit in the room is very very loud. It works great when its on but if you are looking for climate control all night, then I doubt you will be able to sleep. I have stayed in lots of other hotels where the climate control is near silent. I think these units are quite dated.

Room Tip: Upon arrival, you will find the people on reception very good indeed. I would recommend asking them...
1 Thank GrahamBoulton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

My wife and I stayed the weekend of 15/16 March 2014. From our first encounter with the reception team, the restaurant and breakfast team nothing was too much trouble. The service was very commendable. We stayed in and Executive Room (381) that was very comfortable with a view of the Thames - perfect.

Room Tip: Room 381, an Executive Room. It may cost a bit more but well worth it.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bruce3086
Seillans, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

Overall we were pleased by this hotel but for one big problem, on the day I needed to check out the man who was meant to help me with my pram was very rude. This hotel is not pram friendly. At first this was not an issue; a very helpful female member of staff helped me carry the pram with my baby into the hotel and take it all the way to the room. She suggested that if I ever needed help again to feel free to call reception. I needed to do this on the morning of the check out; the man that was sent made it very clear that I was wasting his time. He was abrupt, impatient and I almost had to run down the corridors with my pram and baby after him. Before my encounter with this man I would have been happy to return to the hotel, but until I can learn to lift a pram with a baby inside down steep staircases unaided, I will have to go elsewhere.
A further note, the day after we checked out my husband called to tell the hotel about this situation, they said they would call him back. We are still waiting.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

Had the pleasure to stay here before visiting customers locally.
Great positioning for a wander down the hill to a busy Richmond with many friendly pubs and bars.
Staff at the hotel attentive without being over facing most notably in the bar.
Definitely will return on either business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front overlooking the park
nr Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

The staff at the Richmond Hill are exceptionally polite, pleasant and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for them and they went out of their way to help and to ensure that our stay was a good one. Our room was individually designed and in good condition decoratively. The bed was exceptionally comfortable and our room was quiet. Toiletries, tea, coffee etc replenished generously. The hotel is ideally situated with just a very short walk to Richmond Park or in the other direction to the terrace with fantastic views over The Thames.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

I spent three nights hear as part of a works conference. The rooms are very nice and are quite different from your run of the mill chain hotel, they actually had some character about them. The staff were very friendly at all times and genuinely wanted to help, which makes a distinct change from most London hotels. Overall the experience was very pleasant, so much so I will consider using the hotel for personal travel in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business