“Need to sharpen up a bit!!”

Richmond Hill Hotel
Essex
“Need to sharpen up a bit!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2008

Two of us were on a long week-end course in Richmond a month or so ago, and needed somewhere reasonable to stay. Found a good deal on the Richmond Hill Hotel website, for single rooms with breakfast on a 'breakaway' rate of £70 per night, so decided to go for it, and booked 2 rooms.
Arrived by walking up the hill from Richmond Centre, and admiring the views along the way, but it was a tiring walk after a long day of Lectures on Friday. Thankfully the Hotel looked very nice, the Reception staff were friendly and helpful, the on-line booking had clearly gone without a hitch and we soon found our rooms and got settled in.
My room was a 'single' with single bed, well decorated (as many others have remarked) but pretty small. The Bathroom was fantastic, and HUGE - nearly bigger than the bedroom!! Whilst the bathroom was lovely, I'd have taken a smaller bathroom for a bigger bedroom!! (didn't they think of this during the refurb??)
My companion's room was more spacious, with a small double bed, and bathroom on a sort-of mezzanine.
After a 'clean-up' we decided to eat at the Hotel that evening. The restaurant is good, but VERY expensive. A month later, I can't really remember what I had to eat, but I enjoyed it at the time.
Early starts on Saturday and Sunday meant that we would be leaving the Hotel at the time they would start breakfast service. This clearly posed a problem - reqesting an earlier breakfast met with consternation from the staff - The kitchen staff don't arrive early enough to accommodate 'business' guests at week ends!!!! As there was tea & coffe in the room, I gave up on breakfast on Saturday, but my companion decided to have room-service breakfast - orderd for 7.30am - it did not arrive, and neither of us received the alarm calls we requested (luckily I had my own alarm!).
Later I found out that they send alarm calls via the television - but this system clearly was not working properly as I tried to set it up myself on Saturday night, but could not access the necessary Q-menu for the supposedly modern equipment.
Sunday again an early start, Alarm calls requested by 'phone, and this time we WERE reliably awoken, the 'old-fashioned' way. I did order Breakfast - for 7.30, it arrived promptly - at 7-20 - my showering time, so a bit embarassing for the waiter no doubt!!!
Breakfast was OK, but still some problems with the order, which I thought they could easily have sorted for my 'contintental'. My companion said his brekky arrived OK, but it was all wrong!
Oh well, at least we had no problems checking out so early on a Sunday morning, and got to our meeting in time!!
Long working days meant we did not even get to SEE the spa, let alone use it, so I can't comment on that. Saturday wedding noise 'til 12.30pm would not have been a problem if we wern't working!!
This Hotel does look very good, has a fabulous location and the staff are friendly, but simple requests were managed haphazardly, and some services, frankly, were poor. Beware, Business users - get your alarm calls properly organised.
It's likely I will have a few more courses to attend in Richmond soon, but sadly the room rate would have to be VERY good to tempt me back to this Hotel

• Liked — Lovely Decor, & Attractive Location, good rooms
  • Disliked — Service friendly but sadly not 4*, very poor attention to detail
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank EssexWanderer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Devon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2008

Booked in for one night as I had a meeting the next day. Parking at the hotel was plentiful although very tight. Even with my compact hire car I found it a squeeze getting in and out if the spaces.

The reception was nice and the chap behind the desk very friendly and polite.

My room as clean, well furnished but tiny. Even my overnight case and briefcase made the place look a mess. I think if I had been there for more than a couple of nights the space would have been a major issue for me as I was constantly tidying up just to make the room look tidy.

There was a reasonable selection of channels to watch on the TV although I was surprised to see trailing wires from the wall mounted plasma TV. Not really what I would expect from a 4 star hotel.

Room service and the restaurant had a good selection of food, but it was expensive. I had a meal in the pub next door which was good, well priced and had fantastic views over Richmond Park and the Thames.

Breakfast offered a comprehensive choice of food and it was well cooked and the staff were attentive.

Other than the room size the only other downside was housekeeping knocking on my door at a little after 8am to clean the room. It did seem a tad early and gives you the feeling that they want you checked out.

On leaving, the chap behind the desk was more than happy for me to leave my car in the car park whilst I attended my meeting.

I would stay again

• Liked — Location, Quality
  • Disliked — Lack of space in Rooms - My spare room at home was bigger
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2008

We booked into this hotel as we are having work done on our house and needed a place to stay in the area. This may have made our view of this establishment slightly less forgiving as we were not on holiday but rather we needed a nice place to sleep.

The building itself is lovely with terrific views. It is a clean establishment and the bar is quite nice with a recently renovated look to it.

Now to the less positive notes - the first room we stayed in had the most uncomfortable bed in the world. Both sides sloped down and it was a small double meaning that the two of us crammed into the middle to keep from rolling off of the sides!

The next day we managed to change rooms (with a much better bed) however the room was stifling hot. As there is no air conditioning nor mini-bar, we opened the windows and ordered cold water from room service at 0230. Even the tap water was warm. It was miserable.

This morning when I took a shower was there ZERO water pressure and the trickle that did come out made it hard to even get the soap out of my hair.

At 0800 people started working outside of our windows so it was less than peaceful. Fortunately I had to go to work so wasn't looking for a lie-in however my other half works nights so his sleep time was precious.

The staff at reception were nice but slightly clue-less and slow. We asked where we could watch the football and we were sent down the road to a pub, only to find out that they have TV in their own bar!

Fortunately we managed to get out of reservation a day early and will be spending the remaining time elsewhere.

It is a lovely looking place but the general facilities are poor when all you really want is a good nights sleep.

• Liked — Views across the valley
  • Disliked — The standard of the rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2008

Our daughter chose this hotel for her wedding venue and reception so we had a 2 night stay. Luckily our room was quite large and in the older part of the hotel, recently refurbished and very clean. It was above a "venue" room but this didnt bother us. Our daughters room for the night before her wedding was another matter and was the size of a large cupboard with a double bed squeezed in it! You could only get 2 people at a time in there and it was by the laundry so she had a dreadful nights sleep However the food and service at the reception was excellent and all the staff were friendly and helpful. We did find that although we paid in full with cash the hotel still charged ur credit card with the "holding fee" but I hope that is now sorted out and our ard re-imbursed. The Spa was very usable and an excellent extra for the price

• Liked — View from our room and excellent service
  • Disliked — Size of our daughters room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Settle, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2008

We spent a long weekend based from this hotel (Fri-Mon). We got a great rate on a Suite so treated ourselves. The suite was recently refurbished and very nice. Large king size bed, small comfy lounge, walk in wardrobe and sandstone tiled bathroom. We where very pleased with the room and did enjoy our time spent relaxing there even if the suite had a poor view out the back of the hotel.

The hotel in general seems to be undergoing a rolling refurbishment and in general is well decorated and comfy in most areas. The hotel is in a lovely position at the top of Richmond Hill, one of the nicest views I’ve seen in London. It's a 2 minute walk to the gates of Richmond park and 15 minutes downhill into Richmond’s posh shopping areas (tougher walking back up-hill after a long day shopping!).

Our main issue with our stay was the late night noise from the many wedding/birthday functions this hotel hosts on a weekend. Our room seemed to be right above the main function suites and we where forced to listen to the disco till 12.30 on Friday. The night manager tried to find us a quieter room but all the suites and large rooms where taken. On Saturday we where let off with a 12am finish after assurances that there would be not loud music after 7pm. The staff tried hard to help us but with a packed hotel our options’ where limited.

We had room service on one night which was excellent and we noticed the hotel holds an AA rosette for its main restaurant so I would expect the food to be quite good. Breakfast on the other hand was pretty disappointing. Buffet style with everything left in a mess, hot food gently congealing in its own fat, and no real effort to maintain or refresh the buffet by any of the staff. Service and clearing was slow and the team preferred to stand in a corner talking with the managers rather than clear plates or tables. We arrived at 9.30 one morning and only just managed to get some food before the now eager staff started clearing the buffet, probably keen to get to their after breakfast break!

Overall what could have been a great stay was let down by late night loud music and a poor breakfast service.

• Liked — Newly refurbished room
  • Disliked — Late night music
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Herts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2008

We booked a spa weekend break which included room, dinner, breakfast and 1 treatment each for £180 which seemed good value.
On the plus side the hotel is in a great position with fabulous views over the river. The check in was frendly and efficient, the room was nicely furnished and clean and bed very comfortable, the bathroom was very small but OK.
The spa treatments were professional and staff very pleasant but not very luxurious e.g no robes available. The pool and sauna/steam room was nice but very busy and noisy with lots of children on Saturday afternoon so not relaxing but was quiet on the Sunday morning.
The restaurant was disappointing, not so much the food, which was fine and a good choice on the inclusive menu, but the atmosphere- it is quite large and there were only 2 tables occupied on Saturday night and more staff than guests. Breakfast was Ok apart from terrible coffee and orange juice.
Overall OK but given the great location could be much better

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Leicester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2008

We have just spent the weekend in london, the richmond hill hotel is a great place to stay.

Our room although rather small was very clean,modern and well equipped with everything you need.

The food and service was excellent, and the staff were friendly and very helpful.

Its also a great base to explore london with the underground about 25 minutes walk away, and richmond town centre has a variety of shops,
restaurants & bars.

Would certainly stay there again

• Liked — modern & clean
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple