“If not let down by noise of 2 wedding nights, would have been great!”

Richmond Hill Hotel
“If not let down by noise of 2 wedding nights, would have been great!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Room huge (paid £10 per night upgrade, well worth it for size of room, £92 per night for the room on Secret Escapes), service good, breakfast fab with fantastic choice. Overall, would have been brilliant if not for thumping and incredibly loud noise coming from 2 separate wedding parties on Easter Saturday and Sunday (our only 2 nights there).

Would have been good if this had been mentioned by reception prior to us settling in, as when complained (actually just asked what time due to end - both at midnight) they were well aware of the noise in our room as right above 'the ballroom'. Felt sorry for the family next door, as at least we didn't have our children with us!! Be very aware of this issue on booking, but on balance couldn't fault the hotel in any other way, but this is seriously inconsiderate of them. We were offered an alternative room 'not as nice as the one you're in' on the 1st night, but went out to the pub down the road (the Roebuck - lovely) instead.

Included prosecco and canapés were lovely.

On reflection, as writing this, can't believe that reception failed at that point to notify us of there being a wedding planned for the following night too!!! Especially as deal sold as romantic getaway - hardly put us in the mood, usually go to bed way before midnight, so being forced by noise to stay awake didn't put us in the mood at all!!!

My advice, great hotel overall, but should not place people in rooms right above a disco!!! Ask when booking, or be very disappointed.

• Stayed March 2013
ManagerRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Hill Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
I was most disappointed to read that an otherwise great experience was marred by the allocation of your bedroom. We are a popular Hotel for functions and Events and the team are aware to be very careful when placing guests in the near vicinity of these functions. Usually those attending the events are placed in the rooms affected by the noise. I can only sincerely apologise that in this instance the team did not correctly allocate your room, and certainly move you to an alternative room the following day.
I have addressed your comments with the Front of House Manager so we can avoid a repetition of your experience with future guests. Please contact me if you wish to return to the Hotel and I will be sure that we look after you.

Diane Tapner-Evans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a night on Sunday and enjoyed it, comfy bed, nice food in the bar and friendy staff. Breakfast was great too!

Fab location to go for a run around the park and the only negative was the not fully functioning spa, hopefully that'll be up and running again soon!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Armyofangels
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your Sunday evening with us, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Me and my boyfriend recently stayed here and we really enjoyed our stay. We booked the room through 'Secret Escapes' which meant we got a bottle of prosecco, canapes, a standard double room, access to the pool/gym, breakfast buffett and free wifi and parking! It was really well priced and we felt we definately got our money's worth. Just a 15 minutes walk away there is lots of shops, bars and restaurants too!

All the staff were lovely and we would definately go back there again!

In respone to other reviews the room we were in overlooked the Thames and was finished well and although a little cosy and not cramped as there was only two of us afterall! The only negative critism if at all was that noise from people above and in the corridor was a little loud at some points but really didn't bother us.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Hill Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of your stay at Richmond Hill Hotel, I am delighted you enjoyed your escape package; it is indeed a good deal. I am pleased you had time to explore the area Richmond is delightful, full of lots of things to do; shopping, buildings of historical interest, theatres and galleries and of course the natural beauty all around.
We do hope you return to the Hotel again.

Diane Tapner - Evans
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Excellent weekend spent at the Richmond Hill Hotel! We took up the Romantic package excellent value for money. Slightly awkward booking this package for two happily married men! Three course Meal included in our two night stay deal, which we had on the Friday night was fantastic. Lamb was very tasty indeed! The Staff are very helpful and accommodating (also come with sense of humour). Breakfast is a hearty one at that! I would highly recommend. We will be making a return Six Nations visit next year once the dates are in. I Might even take the wife in the mean time.

Room Tip: Some rooms at the front of the Hotel from the third floor up have views of the Thames River
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Gareth L
Dear Gareth

Thank you for your charming review of your time spent with us for the rugby, I am delighted to read how you enjoyed every element of your stay, and even the score went the right way for you...this time!

We do look forward to welcoming you back, perhaps earlier than 2014 with your wife.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Very accommodating staff. I phoned before hand to ask if we could check in early as we had a wedding to attend to at another venue and after they had cleared this was the manager they called back and said we could. Room was on the small side and the lifts are very small. Our heater and tv didn't work so we phoned reception and by the time we returned back from the wedding these had been fixed. We paid for breakfast, which was standard hotel buffet breakfast. All in all, it was fine for what we needed it for. Didn't check out the facilities as didn't have time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gemma C
ManagerRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Hill Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Gemma

Thank you for your review of your brief visit to Richmond Hill Hotel. I do hope you return to the area again at your leisure when you would be able to explore both the Hotel facilities and the wonderful attractions the borough of Richmond has to offer.

I appreciate you noting the response by our in house team to the problems with your room I am delighted they were addressed speedily.

If you do return again please do not hesitate to contact me so that I can ensure we give you a larger room for your return visit.

Diane Tapner Evans
York, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel was very nice and the staff were lovely, very helpful, kind and polite, I took my elderly mother and it was a bit difficult to get her around as there are a lot of stairs. The room we had was a twin room which I found rather small and not enough room between the beds to get my mother around easily and the bathroom was rather compact.
The breakfast was well presented and very good and had a great selection, something to please everyone.
Overall the hotel was good but I thought the room was over priced for the size of it.

Room Tip: Twin rooms are not very big and if your taking elderly people with walking difficulties there are a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Julie F
Dear Julie

Thank you for your lovely review of your time with us at Richmond Hill Hotel. It is lovely to hear how positively the staff influenced your stay and how you enjoyed breakfast.

The Georgian nature of the building does unfortunately mean that we have a lot of stairs throughout the building. I apologise if this caused your mother inconvenience during your stay with us.

Thank you once again for your positive observations, we do hope to welcome you back again.

Diane

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2013

went to a wedding fair .badly run competition ,lack of staff.after i complained to the managment i had a very rude comversation with the manager ,complained to the head company kew green hotels and after two weeks of phone calls i was told the hotel had denied avents ,hence called me and my soon to be wife lies.not impressed

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tony k
Dear Tony

I was most disheartened to read your review. Particularly as I remember our conversation completely differently: in fact as I recall I offered advise on locations for Church services in Richmond and what corkage means in a Hotel? We even agreed a bespoke meeting to discuss options for holding your event in December, I know that on a later phone call with our wedding coordinator, your fiancé decided not to pursue this option. If at any time during this conversation I appeared rude I do apologise.

As I explained at the time, your entry to win a wedding was treated as all the other entrants. I am aware you were disappointed not to win on the day but there can only be one winner.

I do hope that you will reconsider my offer of a one to one bespoke wedding meeting so that we can reassure you that the Richmond Hill Hotel is a perfect venue for your special day.
Wherever you decide to get married, I do hope you have a fantastic day.

General manager