“Magical, Historical, Evocative, Romantic, Tranquil”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Gwydir Castle B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Llanrwst
Gwydir Castle B&B
Ranked #4 of 7 Llanrwst B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia
“Magical, Historical, Evocative, Romantic, Tranquil”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2011

Wanted to visit Gwydir because, in researching my Welsh ancestry, I found it was the likely seat of my branch of the ancient Gwyn name. As part of my trip-planning, I read Castles in the Air, the new propietors' fascinating story of their acquisition and rehabilitation of the formerly abused and abandoned castle. It's a quick and entertaining read- get it!
Anyway, we drove from London and got so lost that we ended up arriving closer to 2am than our projected 9pm. But Peter and Judy were SO kind and accommodating that they stayed up to let us in- normally the castle's gate closes at 9pm.

We stayed in the Duke of Beaufort's Chamber, which is the lower-priced room, but were still impressed with the size of the room (LARGE), the quality and tastefulness of the decor and furnishings, and the regal-but-cozy atmosphere. Our ONE caveat: the beautiful peacocks who roam the grounds have a particular fondness for the roof/balcony outside this bedroom and they tend to screech loudly at odd intervals throughout the night. It wasn't enough to prevent us from sleeping but the first shriek that came from right outside the window made us both jump.

The next morning we had breakfast (generous and delicious,) explored the castle (fantastic), and the grounds (so beautiful and well-maintained), and had dinner in town at a Bangladeshi restaurant that had really delicious food (we were pretty shocked). We also drove near Betwys-y-Coed and rode horses and hiked in the lush green hills. As a HUGE fan of John Ford's 1941 classic, How Green Was My Valley, I was in hog heaven. The next day we drove a bit further to see Conwy Castle (fun, cute town).

I was so sad to leave but I know I'll return again and again. Castle Gwydir has that effect I think- its beauty and tranquility keep calling you back. Thank you, Judy and Peter, for an unforgettable experience.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank FannieBelle

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

We had stayed in the coachhouse for a week. The door was massive and old, as was the key which we kept with us up in the bedroom. All went well until the last night we were there. At about midnight l heard distinctly the creak of the opening door and this was quickly followed by unmistakable footsteps. I sat up in the bed half expecting a head to appear at the bottom of the room, the top of the stairs- but no such thing happened.We then heard what sounded like footsteps on the ceiling/roof???
When l handed in the key in the morning and told the cleaner l had thought we were the only people at the hotel she merely laughed and said that it would have been the ghost. As a serving police officer l dismissed it out of hand, but was suprised to see Robert Hardy on the tv the following week talking about the murder at Gwydir Castle and it's associated ghost. Our trip was actually in the summer of 2005 actually.
Great time.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank philpoole
lublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2010

This was the best B&B we have ever stayed in and was the highlight of our stay in Wales. The castle was amazing - full of atmosphere and character. The service was excellent. The rooms were clean, comfortable and beautifully furnished with antiques and four-poster beds. We were made to feel so welcome by our lovely hosts, Judy and Peter, who have devoted their lives to restoring this ancient and noble house. It is like entering another world - so tranquil and romantic. It was a deeply memorable experience and we will return to Wales because of it.

2 Thank misza23
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

We spent an unforgettable week in this wonderful mansion from the 16th sentury. Although sensitively reconstructed with regard to its history, it offers comfortable accomodation and excellent service (the best welsh breakfast we have aver eaten!). It is ideal for honeymoon or romantic holiday in pair. We are going to come back, fo sure!
Lida Brunerova

3 Thank Lida28
Portsmouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2010

We recently stayed in one of the two rooms that are available for bed and breakfast at Gwydir Castle - it was the most extraordinary place we have ever stayed in. A much loved home, Gwydir is currently being lovingly restored by its eccentric owners. A wonderful house full of history with a great story to tell. The welcome was friendly, the rooms were interesting and fun (no gimmicks - you really are in a castle)! Breakfast was excellent, service was very very good and there is generally a warm friendly atmosphere. For my husband and I with full breakfast included (in front of a roaring fire in the panelled parlour) the cost was £85 pn - it was excellent value! I don't think Gwydir will be for everyone - but for people interested in an interesting place, interesting people and an amazing story Gwydir hits the spot. The location is beautiful - and the local pub 'The Ship' did very good food and ale. Highly recommended/commended.

2 Thank MellyMoon
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2010

From the moment you step through the medieval gates of Gwydir Castle you are transported into a magical world unlike any you will find elsewhere on the planet. Artist Peter Welford and his wife, author Judy Corbett have lovingly and painstakingly honored this important architectural and historical treasure.

Here you will find yourself enveloped in an atmospheric and inspiring world - one which transports you back in time. I so appreciate that there are no televisions or telephones or high speed Internet. In my opinion, the genius of what the owners have done is to provide a true getaway from all that connectivity.

Peter and Judy are both so gracious and generous about sharing this extraordinary portal in time. Wandering through the castle rooms at every turn there is yet another glimpse into the past. I had the good fortune to read Judy Corbett's book 'Castles in the Air' before my most recent visits to Gwydir and it gave me such an appreciation for all that they have done to rescue this grand old property.

I've stayed in most of the B & B rooms, as I have returned to Gwydir year after year. Each one has it's own particular charm, though I must admit to having a particular fondness for the King's room. The furnishings, the views of the castle grounds, the tapestries, the rich drapes and the deep quiet of being in the embrace of a stone edifice all conspire to make for a profound shift of perspective.

This is not the Sofitel and it is not one of those tarted up country houses where you can stay in your ordinary 21st century mind set. This is an experience unparalleled.

I've sent many friends to Gwydir and every one of them has been grateful for the recommendation. And I will return to Gwydir over and over again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ldthompson
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2010

I have used 5 stars in all categories above, but it is a pointless scale. Time at Gwydir Castle is an experience to be treasured and not about rating rooms and value. You are given the rarest opportunity to leave this world and enter the carefully and magically crafted environment of artist Peter Welford and his author wife, Judy Corbett. They have painstakingly restored the grandeur of this historically important Welsh Castle.
If you have happened upon Gwydir by chance and are fortunate enough to stay there, count your blessings. You will remember it always.
However, if you need modern appliances like TVs or wi-fi to be comfortable, I beg you to leave the place be and find your accommodations elsewhere.
I have stayed in all of the B&B rooms at Gwydir over the years. Each has a character and charm (the Ghost room can be creepy) of it's own. I have sent many friends to Gwydir and I am always thanked for the recommendation.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank David R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanrwst
Ruthin Castle Hotel
Castle Hotel
Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Conwy
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,080 reviews

Been to Gwydir Castle B&B? Share your experiences!