“Just Superb”

Great food
Great atmosphere
Great staff
Perfect location

Nothing was to much trouble for staff

We will be back soon

Many thanks to all the staff for making this weekend a great weekend

I will be reminding this hotel to all my friends and family

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mark S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2014

I had booked in advance for afternoon tea for four people. We arrived slightly early. I asked at reception where to go and we were directed to the Feathers bar. The bar was quite busy with people drinking, playing pool and a couple of afternoon tea groups. There were no staff to be seen in the bar and there were already other people waiting before us to be dealt with.

Two staff did eventually appear and starting dealing with us. They were quite stressed as they obviously wanted to be helping everyone but were completely snowed under being on their own. One of the ladies in front on me was told that they had run out of scones. I was told that they had no other staff that day and to bear with them as there would be quite a wait.

I was disappointed that the afternoon tea I had booked in the hotel was to be had in the bar area but we did find two settees and a table in another room off the reception area where people were also having food so that felt better. We sat down to wait but this was not the relaxing time I had planned and booked in advance for, as I was constantly wondering how long we were going to have to wait and whether we would actually even get any food.

We did chase at the bar so that we were not forgotten. Afternoon tea did eventually appear and we were offered a complimentary glass of prosecco because of the wait but none of my party were drinking. We had four triangle sandwiches, two scones (which had obviously just been baked and tasted very nice) and one cupcake each. Unfortunately, no tea appeared but did after chasing yet again but by then most of the food had been consumed. The tea came with milk in espresso cups which made it very difficult to pour and with no spoons to stir with!

All in all a very disappointing afternoon tea experience and one I'm afraid I would not recommend to anyone else.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank jnclis
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a weekend. The hotel itself is very old and almost all the floors creek. We had a voucher for 2 dinners and a glass of wine. The first day we skipped the donner. The second day we thought we should give it a go and we were very pleasantly surprised. The food was fantastic and the service was great. Both breakfasts were good as well. We regret missing out in the first day dinner.So the 5 star review is for the Golden Jubilee restaurant :)

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel in the late afternoon, was pleased very pleased about the convenience of the parking and also the location of the hotel. First impressions of the hotel were that they have seem they stuck with their royal theme for many a year, however much of the hotel seemed very dated in the sense of some things just looking tired and old, the decor is tasteful just some things needed replacing and updating.

Perhaps it was because it's an old building but I have never been in such a squeaky hotel, everywhere you walked, everything you opened squeaked extremely loudly, also the walls seemed to paper thin being able to here the neighbours dinner plans for the evening quite clearly.

The food at the restaurant wasn't great and seemed make me and partner quite unwell the following day. The staff were quite off, and not the friendliest of staff I had ever come across.

Would I stay again? Probably not, but it was ok for just a one night stay, would not stay more than one night, the squeaking would slowly get at you.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
South Yorkshire
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Lovely historic hotel, afternoon tea nice, but after having afternoon tea at lots of places I felt this was nothing special, and a little uncomfortable as the bar lady/waitress was very stressed as busy but on her own.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Amanda C
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2014

This is the second time we have held our family weekend at the Royal Hotel. There were 27 family members this time and everything ran very smoothly. The rooms were lovely, clean and very comfortable. The atmosphere was relaxing and the friendly staff worked very hard to attend to all our needs, especially on the Saturday night when we had all the family at the evening meal to celebrate our mothers 82nd birthday. I had to contact the hotel to advise them that one member of our family had just found out they have celiac disease, but I was told it wouldn't be a problem any they could cater for all her dietary requirements, even going to the trouble of buying in bread especially her breakfast toast. The entertainment on the Friday evening was excellent. We all had a fantastic weekend and will be returning again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Karen B
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Our wedding day at the royal hotel was just the perfect day had stunning photos in most parts of the hotel food was excellent and staff were amazing made us and all our guests feel very welcome All in all a brilliant stay and we highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2014