“Give it a go - you'll be pleased you did!”
Review of Cafe la Mer

Cafe la Mer
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Traditional family run english seaside cafe - same ownership since 1963 - great homecooked food, fantastic value & brilliant service.
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
“Give it a go - you'll be pleased you did!”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I discovered this cafe/restaurant the other day after having a tuna mayo sandwich on lovely brown bread full of tasty bits (not cheap supermarket slices) whilst my daughter had a tuna mayo jacket potato, both with a small salad. We also sampled the lovely (non-greasy) hand cut chips.
I couldn't wait to go back, so today my husband and I had the 3 course meal for an amazing £7.35 each. Minestrone soup followed by home made chicken and vegetable pie with hand cut chips & peas, then jam roly poly with custard. I chose the apple fruit juice, roast chicken (very tender breast no bones) with roast & boiled pots, cauli, carrots and peas. Both meals were made to order with extremely fresh produce.
The service is faultless - when the waitress (Mugi) found out I preferred decaf tea, she immediately took the normal one away and brought me a fresh pot of decaf. I didn't ask when I ordered as most places just don't offer it.
Sadly, most people don't get to walk along the road where Cafe la Mer is situated, or prefer to have a sea view whilst eating, therefore staying on the seafront. Yes, the view outside is not the best, and Nick is trying to improve the property, but PLEASE - just go and try it for yourself, you won't be disappointed. They need all the help they can get in these difficult economic times and I for one have become a regular customer even if just for a cuppa and cake.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank pc1257

Stroud, United Kingdom
“Pleasant surprise!”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

8 of us turned up. Coped very well with an order variety that would have confused the best. Gluten free no problem. Recommend Cafe la Mer to anyone. Also reasonably priced. Thanks Nick

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank Wacker1948
Cannock, United Kingdom
“A little gem!”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Excellent service and a superb home cooked meal in a small but friendly establishment in Weston. Even the chips were hand cut. My roast chicken dinner had a full chicken breast and beautifully cooked fresh veg. Hubbys cod had been freshly prepared with a light crisp batter. The waitress was very polite an accommodating. Well worth a visit.

2 Thank Bobbigyp
Derby, England
“Perhaps Weston's best kept secret . . . . Why?”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Discovered by accident, we were made very welcome by the owner whose service, food quality, and value for money, were all excellent.

Often quiet on days when the weather is good, I can think of no reason why anyone would choose a take-away, rather than visit Cafe la Mer!

And those who live locally really should make an early visit to see what they've been missing.

2 Thank franc_o_fyle
Halifax, England
“Well Worth Hunting For!!!”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Came across this restaurant by accident whilst wandering the streets of Weston-Super-Mare and thought it looked the perfect place for Sunday lunch. Telephoned on the Sunday afternoon to see what time they were closing - 6pm- which was perfect for us.

The menu choice was excellent and they even do a special value 3 course option which is less than £8.00!!! This was the option we went for and we were not disappointed.

Veg soup for starter, roast beef with all the trimmings for main and an amazing tasting sherry trifle for pudding. Everything tasted nice and more importantly fresh!!!

We were the last people in the restaurant and nothing was too much trouble for the owner, who came an had a chat with us before we left. He's a very nice man who gave us a brief history of the town and even told us about the steam train that was arriving in Weston later in the evening (perfect for my little girl who loves steam trains).

If you're looking for some great home cooked food and excellent value for money then you really need to hunt this place down. (And make sure you try the sherry trifle!!!)

2 Thank shayman1975