“Never again”

Saxonia Guest House
Saxonia Guest House
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Room was fatigued
Bedding had hair from previous customer. Blue sheets which can't be bleached.
Tiny toilet very cramped
Passage way carpets on stairs filthy
Owner patronising. I was harshly told to leave the keys alone until he had explained them to us. Couldn't get onto Wifi to which we were asked if we were on holiday implying why should we want wifi anyway. To be fair the owner logged us onto his system.
Breakfast was fair but chair felt rickety and I was placed next to a wAter dispenser so felt very cramped. No yoghurt or fresh fruit for those who didn't want a fry up so we just had cereal and toast. Rather expensive then. A father and daughter came in together and sat side by side and the daughter was told to move to the place setting opposite her father instead of offering to move the place setting to her choice of seating. Felt sorry for her as was not done in a friendly manner. We will not be returning.

• Stayed: July 2013
8  Thank Patsytoto
There are newer reviews for Saxonia Guest House

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Read very mixed reviews so didn't know what to expect!
The owners went out of their way to make us welcome.
The room had everything we needed. It was clean and comfortable
Brekfast was excellent!
I would definately stay again
Thanks jon and Sandie :D

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed at this so called "4 star B&B" last weekend. The room was horrible, no carpets, no heating and most off all it was filthy. Yes - filthy, beyond believe. It was NOT dirty, it was FILTHY. There was dust everywhere including the bed. I understand this B&B is on a cheap side, but it should at least be clean. I did not expect much more but that, and I was let down. The only thing I can add is breakfast was terrible, apart from coffee. The coffee was nice, but I did not pay £60 for coffee alone. This place is neither BED nor BREAKFAST and I would never even consider staying there again. I would rather sleep under a railway bridge and feed on rats.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
16  Thank Cezary G
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Have nothing but praise, friendly welcome and nothing was too much trouble to make our stay pleasurable. Room comfortable and spotless and nothing more we could ever want for an overnight stay. Totally recommended. Will return when visiting my elderly father again in the near future. Thank you Sandie and Jon. Rod and Kallum

Room Tip: Front room overlooking road but didn't notice traffic noise. Brilliant
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Rosskernow
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Rather awkward and strange hosts.
Helpful with regards to finding parking space . The positives stop there.
No information was given as with regards to breakfast arrangements.
The room was tiny, and although it had things you need e.g. hairdryer, iron, tv, tea/coffee etc. all of these potentially helpful additions were overshadowed by how filthy the room (and indeed whole place) was.
Looked like it hadn't been hoovered in a looooooong time. Dust everywhere. Dirt round the edges of bed on the floor, lots of hair in the shower, dried blood on the bedsheets, filthy headboard etc. Yuck!
Shower was dreadful.

We had paid well in advance using their own website, but still got accused of not paying! - awful customer service. Couldn't be bothered to complain as clearly their visit from the Hotel Inspector TV programme fell on deaf ears all those years ago. Couldn't wait to leave. Didn't bother with breakfast as the state of the rooms and indeed the chef let a lot to be desired, so we went elsewhere for breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
15  Thank BAMBINA186338
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed in the B&B for one night during a visit to the area. We arrived at the B&B early but were met with a warm welcome and the owner allowed us to leave our car outside while we walked into town (10-15 mins away). Parking was in very small spaces, but that didn't matter because we were just happy to have somewhere with those facilities.
After reading mixed reviews on the B&B, we weren't sure what to expect. We had booked one double and one twin room. The double was a good size and the bathroom was adequate. A tray was packed with tea and coffee, as well as biscuits, hot chocolate and soup - better than we have ever seen anywhere else.
It was good to have facilities including a hairdryer, safe, spare pillows, soap/shampoo and toothbrushes in the room. Our only complaints about the double was that the laminate floor had been cleaned with something which had been left very sticky. We couldn't walk around barefoot because of it and even our shoes stuck to the floor. The other problem was the temperature of the shower - very, very hot, but it cooled down eventually.
The twin room had the same facilities and amount of space, but the shower was inside the bedroom at the foot of one of the beds. Although it must be difficult to make en-suite rooms in an old building, I think a shower in the middle of a bedroom isn't ideal but should be in a double room rather than a twin if that's how it has to be.
The beds and pillows were comfy, but we were woken up in the night by comings and goings, probably because the doors are fire doors and heavy (therefore loud) and all the flooring is laminate so you can hear people walking on it more. It wasn't too serious though.
At breakfast, we were greeted with a nice welcome and lots of nice food. There was plenty to choose from (cereal, fruits, cooked breakfast, toast, hot drinks, juice etc) and the portions were very generous.
I'm not sure we'd pay £70 for a room in Weston-super-Mare again but if we had to, we would return here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I unfortunately had to stay here on two occasions. At first I thought the owners seemed fairly friendly but a little bizarre. The rules about breakfast were bizarre and when I requested a wake up call (as was supposedly offered in the guest information I was refused and told to get up on time. How rude.) I agree with other comments about the quality of the breakfast - pretty dire.

The room seemed to be more like a cupboard bt it did have a flat screen tv - very small but probably the best thing about the place. I opened the window as it was very stuffy in such a small room and Sandy immediately called my room to ask if I was smoking because the window was open. I felt as if I was being spied upon.

On the day I left I was sat down by the owner Jon and was given a judgmental & arrogant appraisal of what he thought of me.

Overall, I have to give this dive 0/5 but I guess I will have to give it one star as thats the minimum rating for the site. In conclusion, DO NOT STAY HERE - a bizarre experience with owners who reminded me of the people in 'the hills have eyes'

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo