“too many steps,no disabled access to hotel.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The York Hotel

and 1 more site!
The York Hotel
Thorngumbald.Hull
“too many steps,no disabled access to hotel.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

luckily members of my coach trip to hotel,helped me with the steps ,also staff were more than obliging.Had I been left to my own devices i could not have managed to climb the stairs and carry my walking frame.There was 1 small lift to floors,but nearly all guests on our trip had some mobility problems.One old lady,who was in a wheelchair,was forced to walk up stairs and consequently fell over a doorstep in the doorway,she broke her shoulder.Despite all of this I thoroughly enjoyed my stay,food was average,rooms could have done witth some attention,but for what I paid I cannot grumble.The friendliness of staff and eagerness to help made up for all of bad points.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JakieD2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
South Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Myself and two friends (all female) stayed here for two nights after initially only booking for one night - managed to book an extra night at short notice although we had to stay in a family room for one night and then the sea view room which we had originally booked. From the minute we checked in the staff were very friendly and helpful. On our first night, the family room was in the basement, but surprisingly had a lot of window light. Ample space, 1 double and 3 single beds with a large bathroom. It wasn't particularly fancy but comfortable and clean. On our 2nd day we moved to room 103 with a sea view.... absolutely lovely! Fabulous views, very comfortable, spacious boutique-style room with a double and a single bed (all the beds were very comfy too!) and a nice bathroom. The transition between rooms was simple. The restaurant and bar by night is very chic and cosy, price of drinks here were the same as everywhere else in Weston. Breakfast was really nice. The beer garden at front of hotel was great to watch the world go by. Food in day wasn't as nice as breakfast though. Hotel is ideally situated and only two minute stroll to the pubs/clubs and pier - I would definitely stay here again without a doubt :-)

• Stayed August 2013
Solihull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

I was sent to the York when Premier Inn let me down despite a confirmed booking for two nights.
The York is obviously a lower standard than Premier Inn, reflected in the price, and I would not ordinarily have booked there myself. However, they did step in to the breach and helped me out in a time of need when I am sure great demands were placed on them.
The room was dated but comfortable. The smoke alarm cover was open with no battery. The staff were friendly and accommodating, despite putting me in the wrong room on arrival I only experienced breakfast but this was plentiful.
The public areas were perfectly acceptable.

Room Tip: Room 304 has a good view over the Winter Gardens and the old town - as well as the sea front towards...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
stafford
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

If you want a good night sleep & nice food then DON'T book at the York hotel!
Room was out-dated, scruffy & discusting (toothpaste splats on wall, mould etc). Loose toilet, mouldy grout, ripped quilt cover... Yes quilt in summer, no sheets!
Food- overpriced slop, had to gulp a drink with each mouthful, grease all over the plate.
Sleep??? Erm no! Fans humming ALL night like a jet plane and too hot to have windows closed! My daughter was crying at 5:30am cos she STILL couldnt sleep.
We got up and left but no one was around to complain to so ditched the keys in reception and went hunting for breakfast. NEVER AGAIN.

Thank you for your review.
We take your complaints very seriously.
Did you come to reception to report the state of the room.?
We have fans in the office to help with the heat did you ask a member of staff if we had any fans.?
The night-porter was on duty & his number is in every room.
Did you complain about your meal to a member of staff.
If you have spoken to myself or a member of staff about any of the issues raised in your review we would of been able to rectify them.
I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay.

Travelers are raving about these Weston super Mare hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I must admit reading some of the reviews after i had booked 3 nights left me a little worried,but once my wife and i got to the hotel my fears soon dissolved as we were greeted by friendly staff..We arrived between 4pm and 5 settled into the room which was decorated to a good standard and was clean and tidy.. granted the view from the room wasn't great but that really did not bother us.. we went to the bar to get a couple drinks and were served by the manager who was both friendly and welcoming then went out to the outdoor seating area which is perfectly positioned to enjoy an ice cold cider while looking out over the water and at the pier.. We went down to the restaurant and had a meal which was served quickly and was delicious, also had a carvery on Sunday which was awesome so no problems with the food whatsoever! All in all we had a great stay in the york hotel and plan on going back there again..Keep up the good work

2 Thank into-ink
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us & we hope to see you back soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Booked one night away and was impressed at the friendliness of the staff. We had room 308 which unfortunately has a hot water pipe running through it. In the heat wave conditions it was very hot! The staff were apologetic and provided a fan. This was all they could do, but at least it was something. Overall a good stay in a great location, with fabulous weather'n

4 Thank Gazz1971
Thank you for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
The hot water pipes are a problem in hot weather but we don't usually have such hot weather, we have quite a few fans now to help with this problem.
Warwick, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

booked a overnight stay . when we checked in we was given keys to room 12 . very disappointed with the room . very dated had a mouldy smell . we was right next to the kitchens in the basement and next to the stairs that they had to keep running up , taking food . the best feature was the view a brick wall !!! it was just like being in a cell . there was a wardrobe sought of thing on the wall with no door on . the carpets was dirty . we stayed out all day and only went back when we needed to sleep . wouldn't want to spend no time in there , was gone and checked out by 8oclock the next morning . not worth the money .

Room Tip: don't have room 12
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

Room 12 was the one you had booked & is stated on booking confirmation that it is lower ground & this is why it costs less than the upstairs rooms.
Did you ask a member of staff if you could be upgraded if rooms are available this is not a problem.