Tor-na-Coille
Banchory Lodge(Banchory)
$141
Burnett Arms Hotel(Banchory)(Great Value!)
$87
Travelocity
$74
$64
Agoda.com
Hampton By Hilton Aberdeen Westhill(Westhill)(Great Value!)
$63
Priceline
Huntly Arms(Aboyne)
$101
$97
  • Breakfast included
$70
PremierInn.com
Holiday Inn Aberdeen West(Westhill)(Great Value!)
$69
Hotels.com
Village Hotel Aberdeen(Aberdeen)(Great Value!)
$69
Agoda.com
$100
$85
Travelocity
Ship Inn(Stonehaven)
$130
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsyoung staffunder new managementwonderful hotelroyal deesidehigh standardfirst classafternoon teapublic areas arehuge bathroomvenisondinner menuroom was spaciousboutique hotellittle thingssunday luncha wonderful stayscones
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 30, 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights = booked as a last minute booking. Room clean - bed spacious & comfortable. Breakfast very enjoyable. Staff very friendly. Felt very relaxed here = lovely welcoming lounge with open fire. I spoke to other guests who had stayed previously and said it had been recently refurbished and it is a very pleasant hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights and it was just lovely. The staff were friendly the rooms were clean with comfortable beds and big duvets and the food was fantastic. Breakfast was also delicious. Highly recommended, we would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2010

We were attracted by the 'Fine Dining Menu' only to be told when we arrived that there was 'insufficient interest' so it wasn't on the cards anymore - but, the chef would produce one if we requested it! As this would have meant sitting in a large dining room by ourselves we didn't bother. However the bar meals were excellent, but it would have been a help to be told of the new arrangements before we arrived. Other points, good large rooms (cold in winter?) friendly helpful staff, good breakfasts. A pleasant stay overall

Reviewed October 6, 2010

Tor-na-Coille is perfectly situated near Aberdeen at the southern gateway to the Highlands. Having heard that the hotel was in the process of being refurbished by the new owners, I had asked if they had a renovated room available, and the return email promptly told me I was booked. They wouldn't even take take a credit card until I arrived, a nice touch.

On arrival, we were taken to Room 4, with the promise it was "our best room." It was, indeed, excellent. Still smelling of fresh carpentry, Room 4 was really a suite consisting of a very large bedroom (a king size bed, plus comfie separate seating areas including a couch before a large TV), plus a spacious side room with a desk and dressing area, and a huge bathroom. They are aiming for a very modern, upscale look -- a nice contrast to the lovely, traditional common areas -- and for the most part have succeeded. The bathroom was a very bright. Only if I wanted to be very picky would I note it was a little sparse and could use better shelving to hold one's toiletries. Very small issues in otherwise excellent accomodations.

We had the Dinner Plus B&B Package, and it was the best deal we had during our week in Scotland. Both dinner and breakfast in the pretty and comfortable restaurant-bar were excellent.

Other reviews suggest that the un-renovated bedrooms are not desirable. However, I can strongly recommend staying here in a renovated room.

Reviewed September 21, 2010

We didn't know what to expect but had been informed that this hotel was now in different ownership. First impression - front desk was very bare - anything, a flower arrangement, would have made it look something more than the desk of a very basic hotel. We were informed that our room would not be ready until 1500hrs. This was at 1030. We were a bit worried about what we would find, but soon established that the ground floor, bar, dining room etc had been refurbished. When we finally accessed our room (6) we discovered a very large bedroom, and large bathroom (no shower) -very
clean bedroom with double bed, flat screen TV and sofa and two armchairs set around a fireplace that was obviously not in use. The room can best be described as faded grandeur and I imagine is yet to be upgraded. Several drinks were available there, with a price list. There was no information about the hotel, breakfast times etc. Hairdryer in a drawer. We had dinner in the bar area, although the chairs were comfortable they were a little low, but we didn't find that to be a problem. The meal was good. As far as I can remember the main courses were between £9 and £18. I had lamb, with boulangere potatoes and peas 'in the French style' which I think was about £17. Fine for me, but perhaps not so good for a hungry eater. Husband had fish and chips - massive piece of haddock in beautiful batter and chips, not many, but to die for! We felt that the hotel was running on fewer staff than it needed. Staff seemed to be multitasking but they were all unfailingly polite. Breakfast was served in the bar area. The usual cereals, yoghurts and fresh fruit and juices were self service, and hot breakfast was to order. My vegetarian nephew asked for scrambled egg only, and received an enormous plateful which he really enjoyed .Breakfast menu was fine, fish options as well as traditional Scottish breakfast and porridge with double cream, which other guests said was fantastic. Tea coffee and toast - as much as we wanted. Tables were cleared promptly. I would imagine that when the hotel is completely refurbished it will be even better. A fellow guest told us that he always goes to Tor Na Coille because of the food, and I would agree. We paid £80 for Bed and Breakfast.