“Lovely anniversary meal”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Banchory
scotland
“Lovely anniversary meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband took me here for our 16th anniversary.

There were no vegetarian canapés and a small choice on the menu, but to be fair the chef went out of his way to prepare two meals off the menu for us.

We did not feel rushed or watched over at all during our meal and it was nice to sit and feel relaxed in the lovely surroundings.

The food was excellent and would highly recommend it to anyone.

I certainly hope to return again very soon

1 Thank gardyne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed at Tor-Na-Coille over the Easter weekend this year with my three chidlren (12 1/2; 10 1/2 and 8) and very much enjoyed my stay there.

The staff is incredibly nice, helpful and good-willing. They accomodated my children's food requirements (a bit of this, a lot of that, this but without that, etc.) with a lot more patience than me, I changed the time I had booked dinner on both evenings without any problem, and reception got me the Sunday papers I would normally read at home. We spent a whole afternoon reading and chatting by the fire place undisturbed but were served tea straight away as we asked for it.

The rooms are nice, very cosy and comfortable, the bathrooms are more basic but sparkling clean, and all the things you may need are already in your room! As I booked late, I could not have the second bedroom next to my daughter's and mine but considering my boys' age, this was not an issue.

My own bedroom was next to the main staircase and I could hear the fireproof door when it was closed/opened. This did not bother us but I think it would annoy guests with a light sleep.

I highly recommend Tor-Na-Coille both as an hotel and as a restaurant.

Room Tip: Avoid room next to main staircase (noisy fireproof door).
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ozerval
Wakefield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

Having looked at the menu we booked a meal in the restaurant for the final night of our holiday. Unfortunately all did not turn out well. Service was quite slow - 40 mins to get our starter - seared king scallops - what turned up was 1 scallop - cold. The main course was nice, we were asked if we wanted desserts - yes we did - but after 20 mins no-one turned up to take the order. When someone finally turned up we were fed up of waiting - we asked for the bill - £65. My advice is that if you must eat here, have a bar meal - the service seems to be far superior to the restaurant and the food quantity and pricing is far better.
What a pity as the setting is quite nice.

3 Thank Dave J
Newtown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

What a terrific, warm place. The hotel itself is really beautiful and has gone through a well done renovation. The room was very cozy and warm. An extremely peaceful place. THe dinner was excellent. The wait staff were a bit green and there was some mix ups, They could use some training. They seemed young and sweet...very eager but not completely effective. But not a big issue. The woman at the front desk reception area was so lovely and made us feel completely welcome immediately. The price was very good...we were shocked. And the breakfast was ample. I liked that there were hot options as well as a cold breakfast bar. We only had one night here and were sad to leave. A great spot to have a quiet weekend...the area is so beautiful...Braemar, Balmoral, etc. I sigh just thinking about it! Wish I was there now!! I just love Scotland.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

room was very roomy, big bed and bathroom
Plenty of helpful staff and welcoming bar/dining area.
Very nice location.
Good for business trips to Aberdeen (about 1hr to drive to centre)
Also perfect for a weekend getaway

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Doha, Qatar
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Beautiful hotel in a country house setting but without the hassle of a four mile long driveway. Reception was efficient, room clean and comfortable. Newly refurbished bathroom was excellent, but did rather clash with the 19th century ambiance of the rest of the room.
Breakfast was just right, with a combination of continental buffet and a small but balanced cooked menu.
There was a slight mix-up over front door keys – this is a 3-star hotel so no 24 hour service – but this was resolved by the management without hassle.
Recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cameronag
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

We organised a private dinner for a special birthday for my mum. Kristian could not have been more helpful regarding the menu choice, layout, decoration, wine selection, etc. we turned up in the afternoon to set up and here were a few stragglers from lunch so we were treated to a cuppa and some homemade hurt bread while we waited. The room was turned around incredibly quickly and we were out within a hour. The evening ran seamlessly, the food was magnificent, the service exceptional and the cake (made by the chef) was divine. Thanks to all, but particularly Kristian. We will return!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Banchory
Banchory Lodge
#3 of 3 in Banchory
Loch Kinord Hotel
Loch Kinord Hotel
#1 of 1 in Dinnet

Been to Tor-na-Coille? Share your experiences!