We have known Phillip Fleming for many years and first called at Tor Na Coille in November 2010 when he had just taken over. Our first stay was early November 2011 and the transformation in the year is remarkable!
Phillip always makes his guests feel welcome and has made considerable progress in updating the hotel bedrooms and public areas although only about half the bedrooms had been completed at the time of our stay. More significantly from our point of view, he has brought the dining room back into use and improved the menus there and in the bar/bistro. We did think the restaurant menu would be limited for an extended stay but we were informed of the daily specials available and also the option of eating from the bar/bistro menu. Both our dinners were of a very high standard and satisfying without being excessive. The wine was reasonably priced for the quality.
Breakfast was excellent and taken in the dining room with fruit juices and cereals as well as porridge (with Drambuie and cream!) and the usual Scottish breakfast options.
Service was very good throughout with attentive and friendly young staff that were willing to enter into conversation but did prefer their choice of music at breakfast! We brought this to Phillip’s attention and, in future, he will choose the music played.
We had booked a master deluxe room but were upgraded to a junior suite. It measured about 6m by 5m with a separate large bathroom. This is a refurbished room and was decorated in Phillip’s taste, which may not suite everyone but it is appropriate for a Victorian country house. Phillip has concentrated on the rooms and the public areas so some of the corridors are tired.
Phillip has noted previous comments on the limited availability of WiFi and sought to improve performance. In our room, signal strength was only moderate but we were able to check emails and surf the internet. Downloading large files might be problematical as the thick stone walls in the hotel will severely attenuate radio signals.
The hotel website currently does not reflect the quality of the hotel but work is in hand to redesign it. We would certainly recommend this hotel and will be returning ourselves, as it is very conveniently located for Deeside and Aberdeen.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A beautiful 4-Star Country House Hotel in the heart of Royal deeside. Offering luxury accommodation where the care and attention of our guests is paramount. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline and Cancelon so you can book your Tor-na-Coille reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tor-Na-Coille Hotel Banchory
- Tor-Na-Coille Banchory, Scotland