“stunning location let down by hotel” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Banchory Lodge

Banchory Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Banchory
canberra
“stunning location let down by hotel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2010

The aspect and views are wonderful in quiet streamside location set in park sytyle surrounds. Only for young and fit, no lifts and multiple levels. Open staircases carry noise to all rooms. Do not book if a party or wedding is being hosted. Food very ordinary and overpriced as are rooms. However Banchory is a good location for fishing and leisure, tourism.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank adrian021

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Worcester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2010

I have just returned from a seven night break at Banchory Lodge whilst salmon fishing on the River Dee. This is probably the best hotel that I have ever stayed in. Magnificent location, delicious food, friendly and welcoming staff, excellent service, fantastic room and superb value for money. Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Aberdeen, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2010

Our welcome from Susan was effusive and pleasant. The grounds and local area provided lovely walks and the room and hotel itself, whilst showing some signs of genteel wear and tear, were fine. We stayed in the Oriental room which was very comfortable with large bed and bath ! Dinner was fine- calves liver and venison for one, salmon and beef for another with 2 pleasant desserts. Whilst I did expect slightly more from the meal, I was not disappointed overall. And finally, breakfast was also OK. Overall, I would recommend for a relaxing evening in pleasant surroundings with good service.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ABCMs
scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2010

Firstly I must point out that Banchory Lodge is a beautiful building in a really fabulous part of Scotland with the most amazing views that you will get from a hotel in Royal Deeside. The current owners have been running it for over 40 years - and it shows.

On the first night of our stay we felt almost as if we were invading a house party for the owner and her friends. A warm gin and tonic did nothing to rectify the situation. Although our food was acceptable I think it fair to say that we were eating from a fine dining menu from the 70s/80's.

Our room was spacious with the most amazing view - but again terrribly dated. The four poster bed looked amazing and very romantic - but unfortunately it was not romance that kept us awake - instead it was feeling each and every mattress spring throughout the night. There were a plethora of oddities in the room ;
- in the bathroom we had a cheap rose scented pump soap, a wall mounted pump soap and a bar of soap - just ONE bar of reasonably nice soap would have been better
- every moveable object seemed to have been wrapped and covered in the curtain fabric
- an old twin bar electric fire was completly at odds with the rest of the room
- one towelling robe not two
just all a bit 'make do' really

Basically not what you would expect from a £170 hotel (B&B basis)

The second night did not improve any and still the tonic was warm, still the majority of staff were rude and unhelpful.

There is no doubt that this hotel will attract return visitors because of its location and quirkieness however it really could be something fabulous if it was dragged into this century in line with its tarriff. All in all, a beautiful hotel ruined by complacency the owners.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank maniacmummy
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2010

My husband and I were married in the Banchory Lodge in the summer of 2009- and are so happy that we chose this hotel over several others in the area.

Everything- from Susan’s (events) utter excitement upon hearing about our wedding plans (she’s fantastic and was my very own cheerleader!) to the Chef’s willingness to cater for some guests who are vegan blew me away! Some particular points are below:

During the reception the head of Food and Beverage quietly observed that I hadn’t eaten since the night before (my dress was tight and corseted- eating would not do!) and set up a plate of snacks in a quiet room for me “to take time to take care of myself” this kind gesture was so unexpected and my husband and I were so touched by it.

The next day, each of the management team, and the owners congratulated us with the warmest of hearts and were so friendly and accommodating while we were trying to get everything organized. And even when we returned at night to have a meal with family, the warmth of all staff was fantastic.

Now, the food- our guests absolutely loved it (our vegans were pleasantly bowled over- this was the first time they hadn’t been presented with boiled veg!), and of course, that applies to all the times we visited the hotel to show family (during which time the staff were so accommodating). We had canapés after the ceremony which were simply fantastic- and the bar was so well stocked- dozens of rugby boys couldn’t even drink it dry!

We had been offered flowers especially arranged by the owner (a hobby of Mrs Jaffrey’s) but we declined- however, she was kind enough to put flowers throughout the hotel and rooms which went exactly with the theme and colours of our wedding!

And the honeymon suite was somethingI could only have dreamt of= my families bedrooms were also fantastic!

Now, there’s always going to be some bad points (especially when it’s your over-planned wedding day) but the only points I noticed were: because we had our meal indoors (there is the option of the marquee but we went with a smaller one by the river just for the ceremony), we were not able to get circular tables for our guests, but they did go out of their way to make it look great and, thankfully, it didn’t look like a canteen which was a big fear. The breakfast waitress was quite rude to me and my family the next day- seemed very stressed, hopefully she was just having a bad day.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2009

When my friend announced he was getting married @ Banchory Lodge Hotel, my partner & I immediately booked a room to avoid the hassles of getting back to Aberdeen @ silly o clock. Can't beat rolling back to your room after a decent day out fuelled with bubbly et al.
On arrival check in was very smooth & we were shown to our room. Whaat we never knew was that our "room" would consist of bath/shower room & also a conservatory, that could accommodate 4 people very comfortably! Room was very clean & bed very comfortable. Only quibble is the decor is a tad dated & our room could have been done with a lick of paint perhaps.
Heard a lot of positive things regarding the food there & am glad to say what we ate at wedding was excellent from our starter right through to our dessert.
Another plus was the hotel bar's collection of single malts, if like me you like a dram now & then, this place is a mecca, & very reasonably priced too.
Breakfast was hot & cold buffet & waitresses running around topping us with coffee, toast etc.
Another plus point were the staff, very polite & very efficient.
Would I recommend this hotel? Definitely if you want to get married in a picturesque setting & to accomodate your guest sovernight. Would also recommend there for lunch or dinner if wedding meal / breakfast was anything to go by.
Only quibble would be the price @ discounted wedding party rate would say £135 was more than enough, but usual rate of £160 we felt would be a tad excessive. But when you're on the banks of the River Dee, Royal Deeside with permits / access to the river.......

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2009

I stayed here for two nights after my wedding, and overall it was a slightly mixed experience. The location is stunning - peaceful, beautiful, but close to lovely Banchory shops and also Aberdeen. I am local, and still feel this is one of the loveliest spots in Aberdeenshire. I loved our room, big old four poster, sofa at french doors overlooking the river etc etc. Spotlessly clean and it felt like everytime we ventured out the room was tidied up for us.
We had some truly wonderful, friendly service, including from the restaurant manager. But when we popped back for lunch on the second day, looking a bit scruffy after a bracing walk, we weren't recognised and were first pointedly ignored and then treated VERY snootily. I wonder if this is the cause of different experiences on reviews here - old-fashioned Aberdeen snobbery!
Food was lovely - I'd advise paying the tiny supplement to eat breakfast in your room, as silver cloches and lovely service really added to the experience (and the breakfast room was slightly tired, I felt).

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EBoo63
Also consider these accommodations in or near Banchory
Tor-na-Coille
Kildrummy Castle Hotel
Douneside House
Douneside House
#1 of 2 in Aboyne

Been to Banchory Lodge? Share your experiences!