“LeslieH”

Banchory Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Banchory
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Fantastic Hotel.

My son and new daughter-in-law were married at this hotel on 8th September. It was just fantastic all round, the hotel, staff, location, food and value for money. Ten out of ten for everything. The whole event was very well handled, with a professional yet light touch. Always there to help but not overbearing, or pushing to move things on.

All the staff were just brilliant, John, Jackie and Vladi were just stars! The service all round was great, all being very attentive. I cannot think of one thing that I could fault the place for.

They helped to deliver a lovely wedding in a lovely location. My wife was given breakfast in her room, as she had her leg in a cast. I will certainly be going back for another stay sometime!

Room Tip: We were in Room 22, a large room with a four poster bed and a huge bathroom. It was fabulous, with...

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was at the Banchory Lodge for a wedding at the start of the month and was very impressed.

The hotel is in a very picturesque spot and a marquee had been set up in the grounds for the ceremony. Whilst the bride and groom were getting their pictures taken the staff came round with canapes and prosecco. The staff were very good, available at all times, but also totally unobtrusive. My glass seemed to always be full without me noticing :)

The quality of the food we had for the meal was great, and the portions were just the right size so you still felt like dancing rather than falling asleep.

The bar was also reasonably priced - especially for a wedding!

We didn't stay at the hotel, so I can't comment on the rooms, but overall I was very impressed with the service and the food.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CapnHef
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We went to Banchory Lodge for lunch and even though there was evidently a wedding that day the service and the food were impeccable. We were lucky with the weather and were able to sit outside in the sunshine, while watching the river Dee and the wedding preparations. Service was slick and friendly and the food was delicious. Would definitely go back, although I might book next time as I think we were lucky to get a table.

1  Thank sunshinetravelling
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I attended a wedding at Banchory lodge last weekend (8-9-12) and stayed the night. I cannot fault a single aspect of my time there. On arrival, the building iteself is spectacular in its white glory, and is set in the most glorious scenery. The river Dee flows past against a backdrop of the hills.

Check in was quick, friendly and efficient and we were shown to our rooms by a very lovely lady (Jackie). I stayed in room no20 (the victorian room) which was big, airy and tastefully decorated. There was lovely old, one off pieces of furniture and little nik naks. The bed was firm and very comfortable. In my room there was a firplace with electric 'coal' fire, flatscreen tv, tea and coffee facilities, desk with mirror, large wardrobe and chaise longue.
The bathroom was large and clean with a full size bath and separate cubicle shower. There were large size quality toiletries available to use (although there was also a notice saying that if these 'disappeared' your credit card would be charged!).
I was lucky in that my room looked out toward the river which meant i woke up in the morning to the lovely flow of the water.
If you are planning on staying here and like complete quiet i would suggest enquiring in advance if there are any functions on during your stay though. Room 20 is right above the function room and therefore you wont sleep until the music stops.

The wedding itself was spectacular with very attentive staff and a lovely atmosphere. We had drinks on the lawn by the river, the ceremony was in a marquee there also. Drinks at the bar were very reasonably priced considering its a hotel. Food at the reception was very high quality and hot. We had four courses including chicken liver parfait, carrot and corriander soup, balmoral chicken and creme brulee.

Breakfast in the morning was served buffet style with a large selection of fresh fruit, cereal, croissants, muffins, full cooked, yogurts, toast, tea and coffee.

Check out was equally simple and efficient. In total my bill for room and breakfast for one was £85 which i thought was brilliant for the quality of the accomadation, the impeccable service and excellent food.

As a final note, if you have limited mobility you might want to think before staying here. Its an old building and is therefore on many different levels. I loved this, quaint little stairs here and there, but some may not be able to manage this. As it happened a relative of mine broke her ankle just before the wedding. The hotel were very good and changed her room to a more accessible on e(still up a flight of stairs), delivered breakfast to her room in the morning, and helped her get around providing footstools etc.
I would absolutely recommedn this place for a break or event. Completely perfect for a wedding.

Room Tip: the river room is the bridal suite- it is massive and has a large bay window overlooking the river...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This is a charming hotel in a beautiful setting.Built on the banks of the river Dee at its junction with the river Feugh. The grounds of the hotel extend right down to the banks of the river and on a sunny evening the setting is stunning. The food and service offered in the hotel is wonderful. The staff are polite and efficient yet unobtrusive.Although a little surprised to find they now only had an a la carte dinner menu this in no way made any difference to the food quality and presentation.One minus point was the lack of any kind of potato served automatically with the main courses. An extra charge of £3 added to each main course raised the bill considerably( strangely you did get chips included in the price of a rump steak).We have been here many times over many years and will continue to visit this hotel.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

The location on the River Dee allows you to appreciate the local salmon fishing. The rooms are all different and we were in love with our 4 poster canopy bed. The bathroom was HUGE!!!! We had a table and chairs, a comfy club chair to watch TV and a lovely in-room coffee/tea service. The grounds are lovely, food good. Oh, your room key is the big, old fashioned iron key! There are several meandering level and wings to this property but that just adds to its "specialness". I especially liked the candles lit in the entryway in the evening and the comfy bar.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with French doors looking out to the rose garden and towards the river.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed overnight at the hotel on a brief trip to Aberdeen with my three children (1, 3 and 6). It is not easy travelling alone with kids but from arrival when the staff helped with bags and the baby pram to the spacious warm and cosy room family bedroom, kids menu of fresh food all made in the kitchen (no processed chicken nuggets etc) - all this made our stay stress free and really enjoyable.

The kids were delighted with the towels in the room shaped like animals and the staff helped with everything from warming baby bottles and ensuring there was suitable food for the kids at breakfst time.

The location of the hotel is beautiful, We stayed on the ground floor and through the patio doors we could see the river and beyond that fields - just lovely.

I would defiantely stay here again for the warm welcome, cosy rooms and the location. Not far from busy Aberdeen but set in a quiet and peaceful setting.

Loved it!

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room if you have kids - the one we stayed in looked out on to a patio with ta...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank canicol
Also consider these accommodations in or near Banchory
Tor-na-Coille
Loch Kinord Hotel
Loch Kinord Hotel
#1 of 1 in Dinnet
The Marcliffe Hotel and Spa

Been to Banchory Lodge? Share your experiences!