“A good experience”
Review of Douglas Arms Hotel

Douglas Arms Hotel
Ranked #5 of 8 Banchory B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We eat here the other day as we were passing through. We were given a very warm welcome by the owner Steven. He was most helpful. We had just planned to have a coffee but after seeing the menu we ate. The food was wonderful. My wife had steak pie which was great. I had the Venison which was cooked med just as I requested. All in all good place. Will be back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Maryann C
There are newer reviews for Douglas Arms Hotel

Reviewed September 23, 2012

i had a one night stay when working in the area.
some parts of the hotel are fine other parts are a bit drab and look as if they could do with a spruce up.
my room was ok, it had a double bed which took up most of the space , the tv was ok as was the tea making equipment , there was however a set of pigeon hole type things hanging from the ceiling or wall and were quite hideous things ,the toilet facilities worked a treat but there was some repair work required in the bath surround.
i really enjoyed my dinner in the restaurant but breakfast left a lot to be desired.
i dont think i would use the hotel again and i sure wouldnt use it as a holiday hotel, but , i only stayed for one night which was perhaps enough.
no i wouldnt take my wife there.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank boaz64
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Receptionist at check in was very nice and helpful but after being shown to our room it wasn't at all like any of the pictures on the website, neither was the one our parents stayed in. The compact shower room could do with a bit of TLC; cracked tiles, a broken light above the mirror and a light and shade that sits on and burns your head if you are anywhere near 6ft. The worst thing about our stay was the very thin walls. We weren't disturbed by noise from the pub or the road but was kept awake until 4am by noise from other rooms; televisions, conversations, slamming doors etc. The following morning breakfast was great but the girl serving must have had a bad sleep as I had; breakfast and coffee was launched onto the table and she would obviously have rather been somewhere else, snapping at other customers having their breakfast. She checked us out without any of the polite conversation we had experienced from the other person when checking in; didn't ask how our stay was, no goodbye, nothing, it was like we were an inconvenience. Overall, it was a shame that the thin walls and poor customer service in the morning spoilt the stay. Expected better for £85, will try a B&B next time.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Laura M
Reviewed July 6, 2012

While staying in Banchory we visited the bar on both nights. What a real bar great beer 4 real ales on mid week wekk done.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 17, 2012

My parents stayed here last weekend when they attended a wedding locally to save driving back to Aberdeen. After seeing/using their room whilst getting ready myself for the wedding I think I would have paid the cost to take a taxi back into Aberdeen!

The room was tiny and the bathroom even smaller, probably one of the smallest I have ever seen! The double bed dominated the room with about a foot to move around beside the window and not much more at the bottom where the bathroom was situated. They’d have been better putting the TV onto the wall to give you a bit more room to move about in. The “wardrobe” was some hanging canvas carriers with minimal room to actually hang things up properly. As already said the bathroom was tiny as it was built into the eaves of the roof and you’d struggle to swing a kitten let alone a cat – I got dressed in the room rather than the bathroom after the shower because there was more room. The rooms are right on top of the bar/function room so it was a wee bit on the noisy side although turning the TV up a bit more helped drown the noise out.

The three of us ate in the hotel that night and the food was very nice (it looked all home cooked) and for 3 main courses came in at £30 although some of the other dishes were a bit on the pricey side so it could have been a lot higher. My parents commented that they did enjoy the breakfast the next morning – all freshly cooked for you.

On the plus side, the hotel did have free wifi although I couldn't pick up a signal in the bedroom.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Bit run down, depressing rooms, narrow spring mattresses, worn out blanket. On the positive side good food, nice breakfast end friendly staff.
Banchory itself is not an very picturesque place.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 11, 2012

My husband, baby son and I stayed here a couple of weeks ago as part of a wedding party, and I have mixed feelings about it! I think the hotel itself is quaint, the food is fantastic and the private bar and outside decking is really lovely. Buuuut....I really think the rooms need a huge redecoration and upgrade. We had a family room, but no cot was made available, we had to take our own. The power point on the wall was faulty and intermittant, and the windows were thick with condensation. However, it was a lovely wedding, staff were really lovely, breakfast was yummy and we slept like babies so it wasn't all bad....give it a shot! :)

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MrsPlod2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Banchory
Burnett Arms Hotel
Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House Hotel and Spa
Feughside Inn
Feughside Inn
#1 of 2 in Strachan

Been to Douglas Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!