“Super food well worth a visit”
Review of Buchanan's Bistro

Buchanan's Bistro
Ranked #12 of 37 Restaurants in Banchory
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great menu with locally sourced ingredients. The service is always very attentive and the atmosphere friendly and fun. Although we live the 'other side' of Aberdeenshire, we always eat at Buchanans if we decide to go out for the day. We recently took friends there, who were visting from abroad, as a birthday treat and they thought the food was exceptional. My only tiny carp is that the dining chairs are not very comfortable, there are some cusions, if you can get one :-)

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Buchanan's is set in a modern, Nordic style wooden building, a few minutes drive outside of Banchory.

During the day there is lunch and cakes; in the evening there is a bistro menu offering some intriguing dishes from a small set menu. We had a very tasty selection of home cooked breads with oil, vinegar and Moroccan spices. This was followed by a very unusual Georgian lamb stew, which was rich and sweet. Desserts, with home made ice creams, were excellent.

There was a good range of local beers, organic soft drinks and an excellent wine list, many available by the glass or small carafe. We didn't attack the selection of malts or sherries, but they looked good!

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I visited Buchanans on a busy Sunday lunchtime with two friends and really can't fault the place. The service was prompt and friendly despite the busy time of visiting. I had soup which contained really delicious dumplings, I normally avoid things with dumplings as they are so often heavy and bland. These were anything but heavy and bland, and added a lovely element to an already delicious soup. We shared a fish platter which I can also highly recommend, the smoked mussels were a revelation and I will look out for them to ensure I can enjoy the experience again.
The other dishes consumed by my friends were also much enjoyed, I am looking forward to the slice of cake which we bought to take away and will be consumed later tonight.
The value was good, prices were comparable to other Bistros but I can honestly say the quality was superior to the vast majority of places I normally visit.
I am looking forward to my next visit and will be recommending Buchanan's to friends and family.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This bistro may suit some, but it was not my cup of tea. Not enough plain foods on offer and if you have intolerance's like myself, it is difficult to find something eat. Staff were not very helpful and again poor menu selection.

2  Thank Diane S
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Visited on an exceptionally cold and frosty day around lunchtime. The bistro was about half full and we got a pleasant warm welcome. Always a good start......it's a shame it doesn't happen everywhere. We didn't have much time. The tomato and coconut soup was fantastic. Good presentation. A variety of homemade bread and plenty of it. Sorry we didn't have time to stay for coffee.