“Bedknobs, Bodmin”

GreenLeadersGold level
Hornchurch
“Bedknobs, Bodmin”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We've stayed at Bedknobs several times now, just for a couple or three days en route to West Cornwall and the quality of our stays has never varied. The house is a lovely old one, slowly being renovated by Gill and Kim as time and guests permit. The rooms are excellent and have all the things travellers expect now (tea and coffee making facilities, small refrigerator with contents at reasonable prices if you wish, etc. Nothing is ever too much trouble and information about the surrounding countryside and beyond is readily available. All the rooms are quiet and peaceful. Breakfasts are excellent and Gill will readily prepare snacks if required. Altogether superlative!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Photofiddler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This B&B was more than very comfortable. Every detail was considered for a great stay. The whole character of the property is lovingly cared for by the owners who have a great appreciation for the designer William Morris and all things Arts and Craft.
The facilites were some of the best I have come across in a B&B including the white and rose wine chilling in the refridgerator and fresh milk for a cup of tea/coffee.
A very comfortable bed, excellent ensuite and ambient lighting, I can thoroughly recommend this accommodation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Cheshunt, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We have just returned home after a lovely few days at Bedknobs. We had a lovely clean comfortable spacious room with a lovely bathroom. The locally made tolitries were fabulous as was the tea/coffee and biscuits. There is a fridge in the room with proper milk left in it, not the disgusting longlife stuff you normally get. It's the little things that make this place and the effort put in by the wonderful hosts Gill and Kim. The house is beautiful and you are made so welcome. We will definantly go back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Southampton
Reviewed August 18, 2013

When working away on business I don't normally stay in B&B's preferring hotels with a restaurant and a bar, however Cornwall in August can get very busy and with no hotels available locally at all I had to look elsewhere. Using Google I found Bedknobs and what a superb find! If you are willing to remove your shoes on entry you will find a supremely clean and tidy B&B. With a personal welcome I was shown to my room, individually decorated, comfy bed and with better facilities found in some top class hotels, big flat screen TV with Freesat, DVD / I pod player (Good selection of DVD's provided to choose from) and fast FREE Wi-Fi along with a mini bar and honesty box. My bathroom whilst not en-suite was private and just across from my room. Excellent shower and if I had had the time a whirlpool bath, with the softest towels ever!
Bedknobs is just a few minutes walk from Bodmin centre with a good selection of restaurants and pubs to choose from, although the walk back is mostly uphill.
Breakfast was very good with a single communal table, not something I would normally look out for but makes a change from the anonymous breakfast tables elsewhere.
Finally for the environmentally friendly amongst you, Electric car charging points are available (not sure on the cost) as well as other energy and environmental saving ideas.
Whilst the B&B is probably more suited to couples, next time when I'm in the area, if rooms are available I would definitely stay again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We had a fantastic week in Conwall using Bedknobs as our base. We left the car at home and travelled around by train, bus and on foot along the Camel Trail. Gill and Kim made us so welcome even collecting and returning us to Bodmin Parkway Station. Our room, Beeches, was lovely with a really comfortable bed and super bathroom. Everything was spotlessly clean. Breakfast, served by Basil (Kim) and prepared by Gill was delicious. I can recommend the porridge ! I liked the idea of everyone sitting at the large table for breakfast. It got us all talking and sharing experiences of places we'd visited . Kim and Gill were a fount of local knowledge and made suggestions about places to eat locally and places to visit.The house itself was a really interesting place, beautifully furnished, and Kim enjoyed telling us all about it and taking us on a tour of the gardens to discover the old Victorian hot house and kitchen garden.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Somerset
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We had yet another wonderful weekend at Bedknobs Bed & Breakfast. Gill and Kim gave us a warm welcome and we hope to return again before too long.
Our room was lovely - spacious, comfortable, very clean and tidy. The food is great and Gill makes delicious scrambled eggs. We thoroughly enjoyed their "Champagne" breakfast which uses the local Camel Valley Vineyard's wine.
Bedknobs is an excellent base for getting out on the Camel Trail for either cycling or walking. It is also just a 5 minute stroll to the town centre.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

There's nowhere better to stay for a wet and windy week in Bodmin than Bedknobs. My room was spacious, but cosy, and very warm -- and dry. And Gill and Kim were extremely welcoming and hospitable. Which is more than can be said for the weather in this part of Cornwall when I stayed this "Spring". That said, my hosts were hugely helpful at helping me make the most of my stay, recommending things to do and places to go in my spare time. I had gone equipped with maps and walking boots for my time between business commitments -- Gill and Kim advised me on my planned route, and where the wind would sweep me off my feet, and I admitted defeat and took up their suggestions instead, which worked out excellently. As hosts, their attention to detail is excellent, even to the point of realising that you have overslept, and producing a sumotuous breakfast in double-quick time, and facilitating a swift departure to the railway station, so that you can board an impossible train. I'll be back next Spring -- with a better alarm clock, and the hope of some sunshine.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business