“Looks like serving customers is somewhat of a buggerance...”
Review of The Chip Stop - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Chip Stop
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I have lived in Bodmin for more than 30 years and and somewhat set into a (semi) rigid routine of sorts. On one evening I found myself rather peckish and with no immediate plans for tea I decided to stop at this particular chip shop. It was indeed the first time I had even considered to stop at this (relatively) new place because we are all, of course, creatures of habit... I could tell almost immediately that the chip shop was not for me. Fortunately my primary grievance with the place (and the chief reason for this feedback) was one member of staff. I was greeted with a (barely perceivable, but nevertheless apparent) roll of the eyes as I was obviously interrupting his rather loud conversation about his social life! As you can imagine I took an instant dislike to this person. I then proceeded to wait for 25 minutes for what turned out to be a very lacklustre 'cod and chips', all the time my ears being force fed some mindless banter about the weekend at 100decibels. When it was finally my turn to collect my food this certain member of staff (without making eye contact or even uttering the words "thank you") just plonked my food on the table. I know it's just a chip shop but a bit of professionalism wouldn't go a miss would it?!? In fact I couldn't think of a better way to alienate customers...

1  Thank Wafu5652
thebigman23, Owner at The Chip Stop, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Hi, Im very sorry to read your review, however i am also somewhat confused, I would be grateful if you could let me know when you visited the shop, as i am there most of the time, and i can guarantee the wait for fish and chips is never 25 minutes, and certainly if you could hear a member of staff speaking to another, would indicate that the shop was not busy when you visited, so there seems to be a bit of contradiction. I can guarantee that my staff are always polite, food is always cokked to the best of my ability, and staff certainly dont behave as you have described, the only posibility that what you say is true, would be if you visited the shop some time ago when it was being managed, by a member of staff who has been dismissed. Thanks for your comments, all feedback is valuable and rest assures i do take such comments seriously.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

I went here a while back as it was the best cod and chips around by a mile. Now however it has gone downhill considerably. I visited a few months ago and had a really small meal and just put it down to a new server. I gave them another chance a few weeks later and the meal was really bad. Due to me having such a small meal previously I opted for a large cod and chips. Soggy batter on the cod and the whole thing looked like it had just flattened by a car. Large cod was more like a medium or even small cod based on other takeaways around Bodmin. Sum up, great if you like small portions and soggy batter.

thebigman23, Owner at The Chip Stop, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Hi, im sorry to hear your comments regarding my business, i take great care to ensure our food is of the highest quality at all times, and as you said, our fish and chips was the best around by miles, and thats exactly what i am striving to achieve, however you have stated that you visited us some time ago, we did have problems with the manager at that time who has since been dismissed. I would like to assure you, we use the finest quality fish, and all other cooking mediums, to make our fish and chips the best they can be. I have sent you a personal email which i would be very grateful for your response. I appreciate all feedback, its the best way to act upon our customer experience. I am always looking for ways to improve and make sure our food and levels of service are of the highest standard, and would welcome the opportunity to serve you agin, and hopefully change your opinion. (as detailed in personal email via tripadvisor contact option)

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I use the chip shop stop regularly. I find them fast and good quality of food. The reviewer who give them a bad review proberly damaged their reputation just as they were starting up which was bad. But via word of mouth and decent reviews the chip stop will get the top fish and chip shop award in Bodmin. If you want less fat more quality of good and service I highly recommend theses guys. Their cod bites with chilli sauce id out of this world mmmmm mouth watering chips. Try them ignore the one bad review they proberly were having a bad day.

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Not bad at all really. Chips were crisp, gravy thick, fish was cooked fresh and the batter was crisp. Even though the shop was quiet it did take 10mins for the order to be done, but more grateful it was all fresh. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Went here today, fish and chips were excellent, and cannot be faulted in any way, perfect batter, and lovely crispy chips, £4.75 for regular cod and chips, cooked to order and served in less than 10 mins on a Friday night is amazing service in my opinion, not sure what the other reviewer is saying as my experience was first class.