“Very spooky”

Bodmin Jail
Ranked #1 of 1 Shopping in Bodmin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Opening times We are open for Jail Visits between 09:30 am until 6 pm for the exhibition. Our fully licensed Bar is open from 09:30, and the restaurant serves food from 10:30 am until 9pm. Parking & Dogs We have a FREE car park for our guests to use while you visit the Jail, and a ‘Dog Friendly’ attraction. Accessibility Regrettably, due to the constraints of the building, we are not a wheelchair-friendly venue. Prices All are welcome at Bodmin Jail – come and enjoy a walk round the outside of the Jail, see the only working execution pit in the UK, and our gift shop without charge. For a more in depth look, and to experience our visitor attraction, please see the prices below. All funds generated at the Jail go to the renovation of this important historic building. SAT NAV device: PL31 2PY
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Very spooky”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Me and James went there In December. For both of us it was £15, we ate in the restaurant which was lovely. And waited till it got a bit darker to look around and it was empty just the two of us really. Everything is so realistic and I was very scared, James loved it. It's nice to see some history still in it ps natural state just edited for us to enjoy. Only thing letting it down when we went is that they had builders in, which added to the scariness for me as I could hear noise around. Must visit though.

Walsall, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Expensive, cramped and not at all worth your time”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We visited Bodmin jail in August 2013, it was a relatively wet day and so I think many people had flocked to the jail as an indoor attraction for all the family. This it was not. Firstly, the entrance is confusing by having to pay and enter through the crowded bar, I am not even entirely convinced that everyone in the prison had paid the ridiculously expensive entrance fee and not just diverted their trip to the pub toilets. Once inside the museum, there is no plan of which way round you should visit the exhibits. Faded laminated sheets greet you and the lighting is so poor that you physically can't read what is written on all of them. The mannequins look tired and some of the exhibits are a bit creepy and graphic especially for kids. The whole attraction is dated and needs some TLC and also so interactive activities for all of the family. Venturing up and down the narrow, winding stair case, it is impossible to move around the exhibits easily. Dogs on leads are tangled around your legs, buggies are being carried over your head and you are trying to give way to people moving up or down on the other side of a one-person-wide stair case. Health and safety? There are some lamimate sheets saying they are not responsible for any injury incurred on the stairs which, according to my retired police officer father, they still are. In the space of 45 minutes, I had lost my entire family and was greeted by a member of staff saying that if you were too hot or wanted to come out you could use the fire exit. The fire exit ditched you in the car park with no chance of re-entering to look for my family. I would hate to think what would happen if a smaller child got pulled along with the flow of traffic in there. The exhibits were not informative at all and to be honest, me and my younger sister could have done a better job at turning this place into a museum. There is so much potential with this place but, at the moment, it is extremely disappointing and does not live up to its advertising or attractive potential. I would save your money for a much better attraction. I visited Cork Prison in Ireland a few years ago and this was a fantastic experience. It wasn't even in the league of Bodmin jail. I think that the owners of Bodmin jail should take a leaf out of the book of their successful Irish counter parts!

Visited August 2013
4 Thank Megan C
united kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Mmmmmmm...............really not sure”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Went along to a Ghost Walk at Bodmin Jail on 14th December. Started at 21:00. Very atmospheric, dark, rainy, cold night. However, not too sure about the experience itself. We were introduced to a 'medium' who was going to be with us for the evening, also two ladies who would venture to different areas of the jail with us. Although he tried very hard to drum up something through the hours and hours we were there..............nothing! In fact I would say that by the end of it all at around 4:00 a.m., I had grown very tired, not only because it was 4.00 in the morning, but of his efforts to try and make something happen. We spent a lot of time outside 'waiting' for something to happen, I saw no need for this, clearly nothing was going to happen, but we stood and stood and stood..............and all we got was 'freezing cold'. The highlight of the whole experience was, the ouija board which came up with some interesting/entertaining results. Went with my Son and two of his friends who were of much the same opinion as me. I certainly would not go on one of these again, mainly because we spent a lot of hours, in mainly open space or space with no shelter, waiting for something to happen. 7 hours was way, way too long. We could have done what we did in much less time, and perhaps would not have had the £60.00 per person price tag. I would add however, although I did not see the jail in the daylight, I was disappointed not to have done so. It was a very very long drive for us and we didn't wait around the next day to go and see it, but I would have liked to. In short, may be worth a look if you are in the area, but I would advise again the Ghost Walks that last 7 hours!

1 Thank jan1829
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Very poor service booked our xmas works party here 4 months in advance to be told we couldn't have it there!!”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Don't book any partys here unless u want to be let down last miniute!!!! awful service no customer care they told me so many different things but truth!!! been told they actually double booked there that evening! (4th December 2013) Would have been nice to have been told at lest 2 weeks in advance but all i had was two Days and at Christmas thanks bodin jail will never book with you EVER AGAIN!! Even had to show them how to make my refund after hours of tryin to sort this out!!! Please think twice before making a booking here i will go else where every time SUCH POOR SERVICE!!!!! :((((((((

4 Thank kimchyblew
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Such a shame”
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

We drove here as it was advertised on the web being largely free with a extra bit you could view for 6.50. It was also dog friendly. After looking at the exterior displays we went in, we had to go through a busy bar which was confusing, to be met by a rude bar man who slapped a bill for 15 quid in front of me. When I questioned him about the free area, his response was 'no, it's 7.50 each says on our website' I was gobsmacked at how rude he was and thought 15 quid for two of us was pretty steep so we left. I'm guessing the people who got there at the same time as us thought the same as they went in after us and also got back in their cars. I understand I might have been mistaken, which it turns out I wasn't, but there was no need to be rude. I'd avoid, it's a shame though.

7 Thank Ellie W