“Could have been better...”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bodmin
Ranked #6 of 22 Specialty Lodging in Bodmin
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Could have been better...”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

As a Cornishman myself I didn't holiday here and have eaten carvery here frequently in the past. In the past the food as been extra yummy. They let you have a slice of each meat and you are allowed whatever you can fit on your plate (I try and fit loads on because it is so nice!). However today it was slightly dissapointing. Not dissapointing with the food but the miscommunication. We were firstly told that the oven was not working which was great that were informed of this. We were also told that the selection of meat was from beef or lamb. We arrived to find they were only serving beef. The waiter was very apologetic of this. So we ordered 5 roasts (normally it would be a carvery but as I said the oven had packed in). It came out and we found that it was well presented and was rather colourful. It had a cream of swede which was extra delicious, flavoured parsnip, one slice of beef, carrots and potatoes. Dissapointly the potatoes were roasted new potatoes so werent like normal roast potatoes that they make (theyre normally crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside which is my favourite bit!) but we also had no yorkshire puddings. The waiter however did give us a choice of loads of sauces we could have with it.
Pudding was also slightly dissapointing as there is no set menu as they change the dessert list every day, So the waiter just read the options to us- obviously without us knowing the price. I ordered the warm chocolate brownie (which I definetley reccomend if they are doing it on the day of your visit). With the warm chocolate brownie you can have custard, cream or homemade ice cream (which I think is a nice touch).
After dinner we retired to the lounge area which is incredibly comfy! On the walls are some cornish paintings which I really enjoyed, I then played pool. The pool table had a lush black cloth and looked fairly new. They had a large amount of cues however all were the same size (so not good if you are playing against your child as they are rather big for children) and also not good if you are a large adult because they are smaller than normal ones. The ends on all of them were also old and worn. Unfortuanetley I cannot recomend bringing your own cue because the area in which the pool table is very small and cannot even take some shots because your cue wont fit in the space between the wall and the table. (This is probably why the cues are so small). I would not play again unless the owners relocate it somewhere with more room and buy better cues. You also need to ask at the bar for the chalk which they gave to us quite quickly which suggests that people play pool there often. If people play there often surely the owners would get better cues and allow more room for the table. The pool table costs 1 pound.

I would reccomend Lakeview because discarding today the food and atmosphere was brilliant (was also very quiet). In fact in the warm summer of 2011 my dad got married here. The day was perfect (23rd July) and we made full use of the park, outside seating and the pond where we took many memorable photos. If you are going to come here I would advise going when the weather is nice in a few weeks because apparently that is when they are going to get their new oven. I would come when it is sunny so you can make full use of the outside area. I would reccomend getting married here without a doubt. According to dad the prices were reasonable and the food was delicious. The wedding takes place upstairs so it is private and next door to the wedding room there is a small games room featuring table tennis and a few other games.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
LakeviewCC, Manager at Lakeview Country Club, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Thank you for your feedback about you experience in the restaurant. At the time of your visit, new operators had just taken over the running of the restaurant and had to take some time to significantly upgrade the old and faulty equipment in the kitchen. With the equipment upgrade complete, the carvery is now back on the menu on Sunday's and the menu is much more extensive to cater for all tastes. It would be great to see you at Lakeview for a Sunday Carvery so that you can see the improvements made since your last visit.

We take on board your points about the pool table and the cues, particularly as the pool table is well used.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the comfy and relaxing lounge and it is great to hear that our winter refurbishment program has gone down well with our customers. In reference to your review, it is great to hear that you like our grounds and lakes and these are always a lovely backdrop on a warm wedding day as you suggest.

Please accept our apologies that your last visit was not quite up to scratch but we can assure you that significant improvements have been made and our Ex Rick Stein chef is really generating a buzz with locals and holiday visitors.

Best Wishes

Lakeview Resort Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Bury St. Edmunds
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

A luxury country retreat is the impression we gained from the blurb and website...

Booked via booking.com with booking confirmation stating check in from 14:00hrs (check out by 11:00hrs) glorious weather on the beach but we decided to go check out our lodge with hot tub...

We arrived at Lakeview Country Club around 14:30hrs to be charged for our lodge AND then told it wasn't ready because check in was from 16:00hrs, and the cleaners hadn't finished, so my mobile number was taken and we would be called...

After no call, we turned up again at reception, our lodge was still not ready, all this time I felt (was made to feel) that this was all my fault, silly me for reading my CONFIRMATION email...

Eventually we received our key around 16:30, the lodge was 'ok' I don't know which one they photographed but it sure wasn't ours, it was cleanish, tidy, comfortable... "Let's try the hot tub" came the cry...

No mention in the literature about the SIXTEEN HOUR wait for the hot tub to reach palletable temperature due to it being emptied and refilled... So, that's now ONE of my £150 nights that I can't use the hot tub!!!

Another day we decided to use the Spa... Shut Easter Sunday & Easter Monday too...

Ok let's try the pool & a hot, relaxing steam bath... Nope, OUT OF ORDER...

If you anticipate needing the 'woodland jogging track' you'd be best off with wellies and shears or a strimmer...

So... My advice, think very, very carefully about booking this site, if the new owners are to be believed it'll be an amazing place in a couple of years, right now, it's less than mediocre and in no way lives up to its own hype, its had its day, maybe has another to come but right mow it's far from a country club, in fact it's my opinion that they've tried desperately to model the site on a 'Centre Parcs' something it falls way, way short of on so many levels...

My main gripe with the delayed check in is that you're given a very friendly 'welcome pack' telling you that for every 1/2 hour you're late checking out, Lakeview will charge you £20... They seemed to shrug off my request for 2.5 hours worth of 'Late Check In' money...

2/10 a poor effort!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank fudgesmart
LakeviewCC, General Manager at Lakeview Country Club, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a such a detailed response. Firstly we all were very sorry to hear of the problems you had at Lakeview and it is clear that even despite our continuing strenuous efforts to improve the facilities,service and standards we still have some issues remaining and your feedback is gratefully received

Firstly, the check in times on Bookings.com were indeed wrong and have been corrected.We take full responsibility for the inconvenience caused to you and your guests and can appreciate that following a long journey, the delayed and discouteous check in,combined with the cool temperature in the hot tub clearly ruined you first night's stay for which I can discuss with you over the phone.

With regard to your comment about the pool and steam room being out of order, I think you are making reference to the Steam Room, which was in fact undergoing conversion into a Sauna as per our ongoing upgrading of the facilities. We apologise that you were not able use this facility but can assure you that our pool has been in permanent use since we took over the site last year.

Our Spa has recently been refurbished and is under new licence and the operator decided for personal reasons to close on Easter Sunday,however she was in fact open on Easter Monday but was fully booked as the new invigorated product has proved very popular.
Finally,after such a wettest winter on record, you are correct that parts of the jogging track were still very muddy, however we can assure you that our Lakeside walks are usually a lovely way to get some fresh air, peace and quiet and to see the variety of wildlife that we have at Lakeview.

Once again, we apologise unreservedly that your stay was not what you had expected, however,Lakeview is rapidly evolving and we have a clear vision as to what it should become and we are continually adding new facilities and activities to our offering in oerder to ensure that our holiday guests are well catered for.If you should ever choose to visit us again at any time it would be our pleasure to ensure you have an altogether better experience.

Kind Regards

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Happened to stumble upon lakeview country club by chance, decided to stay for dinner at "Hardy's @ lakeview resturant. Wow what a find! We were shown to our table by a very attentive waitress and asked for drinks and handed menus. We had 5 people in our party, 2 adults and 3 children. 1 child opted for chicken chunks which were handmade and exceptional, the other child had ham, egg and chips also exceptional and "proper ham" not the processed stuff you so often get. These were all served up with our starters to keep the children quiet. The starters were out of this world with homemade sauces and onion jam. Now to our mains!! 2 of us had cheeseburgers the likes of which I'd never tasted before. Melt in the mouth hand made burgers and BBQ sauce. My son had a rump steak which had the most incredible flavour and so tender.

Upon speaking to the staff we discovered they had only taken over the restaurant ONLY 4 prior to our visit. With food and service that exceptional we can't wait to go back. All the dishes were very reasonably priced for the amazing quality of food you got. To be honest I would have quite happily paid more!

Well worth a visit 10/10

• Stayed April 2014
Leigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We, two adults and five mid to late teenagers, spent a week here at the beginning of April in a Long Island Bungalow.

The good:

The lodge was of a fantastic size. It was T-shaped, the leg of the T being the living room/kitchen and the long part being the bedrooms/bathrooms. The main bedroom was huge with a huge en-suite that contained a spa bath (unused by us). The second and third bedrooms were a good size too with an en-suite in the second and a communal bathroom sandwiched between. Three bathrooms, wow! The really good part was the hot tub. The hot tub alone is accountable for one of the stars in this review. We used it every night except one when it decided not to work (see 'The bad') and we just managed to squeeze all seven in it.

We used the tennis courts every day and they were, thankfully, fine. They also account for a star. When I asked at reception if I could borrow some rackets, you'd think I'd asked them a question in Russian the way the staff quizzically looked at each other. This would suggest not many people haven't used the courts recently. Eventually, they dug us some out from somewhere and we were grateful for that.

The location for touring is excellent, everything in Cornwall no more than an hour away. That's the good...

The bad:

We ate there one night only, the first night, from a limited menu because their oven had packed up. I think that's really unusual. I ended up paying a lot of money for fish and chips, burger and chips and sausage and mash which was of very average quality. The drinks were priced how you'd expect from a place like this and that's understandable but I do like a pint of Guinness and the Guinness I was served must have been in that barrel some considerable time (I kinda know these things) and that turned out to be typical of the way the place appeared to be run.

When I was checking in, an older couple next to me were doing the same. They were told that the hot tub in their room wasn't working and there was no idea of when the part to fix it would arrive. They looked so disappointed and were offered £70 worth of vouchers to compensate (£10 per night). Fair enough, that's a gesture but £70 could be gone in no time in such a place and it turned out the hot tub was actually worth its weight in gold rather than £70. Had it been me, I'd have been livid as you could tell the hot tub was a big thing to them. The one time our hot tub went on strike, I asked at reception to see if someone could have a look at it and they said they'd send someone. No-one appeared and a few hours later I asked what was happening and they said they didn't know as the maintenance man had left. They took my number and said they'd call me but they didn't. I'm convinced that thing eventually corrected itself as it never actually went stone cold but, again, the service was typical of the place.

There was a square patch of grass that I couldn't fathom. It had a gully, as if it was a bowling green, that had litter, crisp packets etc in it. Looks like it was a putting green but I'd find it hard to putt on three inches of grass. Whatever it is/was, it was unkempt and not looked after and shouldn't really be advertised as a sports ground until it is tidied up.

The ugly:

The grounds of the park didn't seem to be well kept. It isn't a nice looking park. We saw it after rainfall and there were pools of water on the roads that didn't seem to drain away. There were skips and what appeared to be a rubbish dump in open view with no attempt to hide from public view. There was no attention to detail and it's just not a very pretty park.

Would I recommend? Well, the hot tub was great and so was the tennis. The rest? Pretty forgettable but I can't help feeling that if someone bent their back, physically and financially, this place could be so much better.

5 Thank Vincent P
LakeviewCC, Manager at Lakeview Country Club, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Thank you for your detailed and honest review, we appreciate feedback because it allows us to listen to what our customers are saying about us and implement the appropriate changes to ensure that we, as a business continue to improve.

Having only recently purchased the site, our company was aware of many issues that needed to be rectified to bring it up to speed and we are working on this because our main objective is for our visitors to enjoy their visit to Lakeview and to want to return.

Whilst taking on board your comments, we feel that you are right about the sporting equipment for hire and therefore, we have now purchased an array of equipment that can be used which includes; Tennis Rackets, Golf Clubs, Fishing Rods, Badminton, Cricket, Rounders, Boules, Football's and Goals, Croquet and Volleyball. There is now, hopefully plenty for families to do on site. Unfortunately, the business had not historically been as pro-active at providing equipment for hire which is possibly why our reception were not clued up as to where everything was, however, this has been addressed.

The site in general has been looking stunning in the last week with the brilliant sunshine helping the leaves and blossom to appear on the trees and the lakes glistening in the sun. The area, you mention in your review, that looks like a rubbish dump has now been cleared with fencing and turf installed to ensure that it all looks much tidier. When you visited us, we were undergoing some demolition and clearance which I can appreciate did make the site look less presentable.

Our winter maintenance programme was completely halted in January due to the terrible weather and therefore, we are playing catch up to a degree because we would normally look to be fully operational by Easter from a Grounds and Maintenance perspective. The standing water issue that you mentioned has been wholly due to the extreme weather and as of the last week I think we can finally say that water levels have receded and the problem is now resolved.

Finally, we have recently leased the restaurant to a very experienced and motivated couple who trained at Rick Stein's The Cornish Arms and they have genuinely had some very bad luck with kitchen equipment which has hindered their plans and preparations. We are so committed to improving our business and we are helping to address the issue by purchasing some new kitchen equipment.

Once again, we value your honest and frank review and we do take on board all comments and suggestions. We would love to welcome you back to Lakeview at some point because we are confident that you will see significant improvements which will have addressed the points raised in your review. There are a variety of other refurbishment programmes underway which will improve the facilities further.

Best wishes

Management, Lakeview Cornwall
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We booked in very last minute as friends of ours were staying a week, as a consequence we negotiated a deal for just 2 nights in a basic A frame lodge. It wouldn't be fair for me to comment on the whole place as we really didn't make full use.

In brief on face value this could be a 5* place if the attention to detail was increased. Our lodge looked modern and clean however further inspection and use showed that the fittings were cheap or poorly maintained, the kitchen floor plinth fell forwards, the microwave moved when opening the door and kitchen units were ill fitted when closed. The spa bath was dirty and the bath panel badly cracked. The main bathroom floor tiles were cracked between the grout where the floor had moved.

The communal swimming pool which forms part of the Leisure complex was a nice addition but the steam room was out of order and staff didn't know when this would be working again, the longer jogging trail was not kept and had so much over grown grass you would struggle to walk let alone run along it.

That said you may ask why not complain? We were there literally for 2 nights and used the place as a base - had we paid more or booked longer then I would have pointed this all out to management. There does seem to be some investment and modernisation going on - my advice to the owners is check out Pinelodge Holidays in the Peak District - they have their accommodation and facilities down to a fine art and are truly 5* with much custom being repeat!

2 Thank RHerbert
Bodmin, England
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

Visited the spa today and was totally satisfied with the proffesional and very friendly staff. My daughter and i will most definatly visit again. The bar and resteraunt look great, again very relaxing. Try the coffee, and homemade cakes, amazing...

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
LakeviewCC, Front Office Manager at Lakeview Country Club, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Hi there,

Thank you so much for your kind words. we are So glad to hear that you enjoyed your treatments in our Spa, and our Homemade Cakes. Please like our Facebook to keep up to date with our Special offers. We look forward to seeing you and your daughter very soon.
Many Thanks
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2014

have just returned from a lovely stay at lakeview and the location was superb Our lodge was very clean and modern and the hot tub was a lovely bonus!! This is a good location to visit many parts of cornwall as was very central.The pool was lovely and warm and facilities were good. We ate in the restaurant and was advised it was a revised menu due to them waiting on a new oven to be fitted and we were very impressed with what was still on offer and the fish was to die for and the couple that have taken it over were lovely and were telling us about what they had planned and cant wait to go back in sept to see what's on the menu then. Would highly recommend a visit here and looking forward to returning later on the year

Hi there,

Firstly I would like to thank you for your kinds words, we love hearing positive feedback, and we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us at Lakeview. We would love for you to come back and visit us again, so you can see first hand all the great changes that are happening. Don't forget that as a returning guest you will receive a 10% discount on future bookings with us.
We look forward to seeing you soon.
Many Thanks
Lakeview Country Club
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bodmin
St Benet's Abbey
#1 of 1 in Washaway
Waterside Cornwall
Waterside Cornwall
#1 of 5 in Lanivet

Been to Lakeview Country Club? Share your experiences!