“Life saver”
Review of Sandysike House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brampton
Sandysike House
Ranked #17 of 25 Brampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I have just completed the Hadrians wall path with two friends. We camped out on all of our five nights and we carried all our kit, tent, sleeping bag food etc.
We arrived a Sandysike House after a 17 mile slog in high temps. We had been looking forward to a drink in the Centurian PH in Walton but the pub has been shut for at least 2 years.
On our arrival we were met by the couple who were very nice. They showed us where to camp and made us some lunch along with the beer we were in need of. This is a working farm but before going back to work the Gentleman of the house came out to see if we needed anything else.
All in all this was the best campsite of the trip.The couple were more than accommodating and the night stay cost us £20 which included the site fee, three beers each and a lovely, short notice lunch.
I would go back to this site tomorrow. Great location with super nice hosts.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Shaun M

Reviewed April 4, 2012

Not sure what the earlier fuss was about, but then again I did not have the food, because I was self catering and allowed for that.
I arrived at the bunkhouse about 9.00pm.
I had a warm and friendly greeting, was given milk, and they lit me a nice fire.
I was the only one staying there, but it was fine.
OK, the bunk room was not warm, but for £1 you got the electrical heater which lasted all night.
All other electricity was free.
The bunks were clean as was the bunkhouse.
Everything you would want was there.
I mean, it is a BUNKHOUSE, not a hotel.
The actual location has fantastic views and is perfectly located for walking and hardians wall.
I was actually up there on business, but I do not need to dine out on my clients money, so I was more than happy.
Everyone was helpful and friendly.
It is a working farm, so they do not have the luxury of just waiting for you to talk to them.

All in all, I was more than happy, and I will gladly go back.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Andrew W
Reviewed October 20, 2011

I stayed in the bunkhouse with my brother and father whilst walking Hadrian's wall. We hadn't booked in advance as we walked during the quiet season, and we were therefore glad that they had room for us. We were greeted by the friendly dogs and the wife who very much seems to be one who deals with the clients. From the outset we had the feeling that the couple were trying to squeeze every penny out of us, overnight stay was £12 (pretty reasonable), we were asked if we wanted dinner(£6), and then told that they could rustle up some dessert (which would be extra- but didn't say how much) and that if we wanted the heater on in the large bunkhouse we would have to pay a pound into the meter, breakfast would be (£8), bottled beer was available (we weren't told the price until we settled up - £2.75)
We opted for the evening meal - and were very disappointed. The meal was served in the couples' dining room and it was cottage pie with tinned sweetcorn and green beans - the lady mentioned that her microwave wasn't working ..... and it was stone cold in the centre, and very unappetizing.
We politely declined dessert, we heard the lady go through to the kitchen and have an argument with her husband about why we weren't having dessert - this was then followed up by her saying that he was very disappointed that we didn't want his cake. All of this made for an uncomfortable atmosphere.
To give them credit they did light a beautiful fire in the bunkhouse and we spent most of the evening sitting in front of that.
The bunkhouse itself was fairly clean, the bunks were comfortable, though the room was cold. The shower room needs ventilation fixing as it soon became a steam room, and the floor was wet throughout our stay.
The kitchen had everything that you would require, and the lady gave us a small jug of milk - which was very kind.

Overall - this place would be great if you had your own food with you, and just paid for the bunk..... The food is definately best avoided.
It would also help if the couple had a print out of their prices, as it helps to know the prices before you commit.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Voyager_1986
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I have no idea how asleep other reviewers must have been, or whether the owners of Sandysike just hate campers, but these guys are WEIRD! A raven nailed to the gate at the rear of the property was an uneasy find. We were greeted with comments such as "Don't you go upsetting my bull" and "If you were a gent you'd carry your wife's pack as well"...the owner didn't offer to help himself! Felt utterly uncomfortable immediately.
No facilities were explained. The man seemed very disinterested in us or our needs. The wife utterly ignored us, even turning away from me when I acknowledged her through a window, and did not bother to utter a single word to us. The atmosphere was so rough you could touch it! The dogs were actually the only pleasant part...also the worker who initially met us at the gate while he herded the cattle was genial.
A campsite that is "fully licensed" with no bar, no offer of beverages, and fails to alert you to the fact that the local pub has been shut for 2 years (in fact points you to it on their FAQs!!!). Also a "campsite" that seems to view campers as vaguely unpleasant.
Run by people who do not belong anywhere near the hospitality sector purely and simply because they are stuck up, self absorbed and certainly not people concerned with theirs or anybody else's heritage as one reviewer suggests. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank lemontree133
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I walked Hadrian's wall this summer with 7 friends and stayed here one night - and it was by far the quirkiest place we stayed! They had lit a fire before we arrived which was a godsend as we had been trudging for hours in soaking wet boots - our hosts even came to put more logs on while we were having dinner to make sure it didn't go out so our shoes could dry. So thoughtful. The room was very basic, but clean. The dining room was amazing and dinner was exactly as we would have expected - simple, filling and hot. Breakfast was excellent - incomparable to the pile of grease you get at some B&Bs. Vegetarians beware though - this is a beef farm and I got the distinct impression they wouldn't know what to cook for you! The only negative thing I would say is that they weren't completely clear on costs before we arrived, so it ended up being more than we had expected - but this could be as much my fault as theirs. I would strongly recommend this place for anyone looking for something a bit different.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2011

The accomodation - I stayed in the bunkhouse - was clean, comfortable and spacious enough to feel as though you weren't on top of others who were staying too. The owners were wonderful and provided excellent service; I was even driven into the local town to catch the bus to Carlisle, which was something I'm sure they didn't have to do! I'd very happily stay again and would recommend it to other travellers.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Didn't quite know what to expect having read other reviews, but it was basically what it said on the tin. It was a B&B (my kids stayed in the attached bunkhouse) right on Hadrian's Wall. Perfect for hikers.

Don't worry about the dogs. I'm not keen on the either but these were fine. Nor was there any dog muck around the place as one reviewer noted.

The bedroom was huge but spoilt by the fact that the toilet was at the other end of the house.

The owners were friendly and welcoming. They made my kids some sandwiches free of charge on arrival and made me a cup of tea. They have some local ale that really is nectar. The breakfasts are fine but served on small plates.

The only gripe is that I wish they had told us that the approach road was closed and there was an 8 mile diversion. My wife in the support vehicle arrived later than us walkers!