“GOOD VALUE PUB FOOD”
Review of The Ryles Arms

The Ryles Arms
Ranked #3 of 17 Macclesfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 15, 2011

One of several pubs in the area built by local private banker and silk manufacturer John Ryles in the mid 1820s (the best known being the Cat & Fiddle), now more geared towards dining than drinking. Good quality pub food with all the old favourites (plus a few 'contemporary' dishes) all at reasonable prices with good portion sizes. Staff friendly and helpful and a 10% discount for Gold Card Members. Last visited in mid October 2011: my steak was of excellent quality and cooked exactly as requested; the missus was very pleased with the home-made burger which came with all the trimmings. Limited draught beer selection, though the local Winkle Ale was on excellent form and made up for this. Will definitey go again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MAL010
There are newer reviews for The Ryles Arms

Reviewed August 12, 2011

The food & service was first class, with friendly staff, a place to recommend.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We'd heard that the food was good and we had to book in order to get a table but we were unhappy with the experience. Our mixed grills had steak that was unedible and the fillet steak in the Beef Strogonof was too tough to chew! It wasn't expensive, but it still wasn't worth what we paid.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Me and my husband stayed here June 2011 for our 1st year wedding anniversary ! The loaction is romantic lots of sheep and fields and a nice walk if your energetic (Im not !). When we got there hey asked us if it was our wedding anniversary and we said yes and they said the manager had put is in the suite (Room 6 ) free upgrade!!We were very happy ! We were even happier when we got in ! WOW gorgeous converted barn with beams, massive flat screen telly, a sofa, a dining room table for 6 and fitted kitchen !!!!!!!!!!! It was gorgeous very modern and trendy and clean ! The restaurant was very gastro pub which we love. It was also good that it was busy a very popular great atmosphere inn.Lots of tables and GREAT FOOD!The steak is a must have !!!!!!! the breakfast the next day was also good !!!!! I reccommend for all ages. It was modern, but traditional set in a fab location !!!!!!

Room Tip: We booked with last minute.com
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hollywood8484
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Discovering the Ryles Arms was entirely by chance. I had wanted to stay at another B&B, but they didn't respond to my request. Just as well, I was thrilled with The Ryles. They were fast in responding to my request and were easy to deal with.

I booked in for 4 days, and what a great surprise it was. The location in Higher Sutton is gorgeous, Cheshire countryside is idyllic. The converted barn room that I had was immaculate, with lovely decor. My favourite part was looking out the window into the fields, hearing the birds.. It was lovely. It was worth every penny.

The manager/owner is very efficient..seemed like he was a bit behind the eight ball at times and in need of more employees. Regardless, he was great and the staff that I dealt with were excellent, friendly and fun to deal with.

Foodwise, it was great. I can't eat a lot of heavy food, and this menu is primarily that. Major meat dishes - food that I used to love..! I found my way around it, as I have to do, and was entirely satisfied with the large menu. The Inn restaurant is very popular for locals..and it really hops on the weekend. The breakfast is really good. They'll certainly take care of whatever you want.

If you require wifi, they do have it but it is a rather hit or miss affair. Hopefully they'll attempt to upgrade it, as it can be a tad frustrating if you need to be in the loop.
I also wanted to make some long-distance calls - but they didn't have the facilities for that I was told...? There were phones in the room but....? So, I left that alone and had a very quiet four days of not talking to anyone but the staff. Kind of wonderful really.

If you're looking for a quiet, romantic getaway or just a tiny break - this is the place. There are trails nearby for a wonderful wander, good food and... silence.. lovely countryside... with your neighbours being sheep and cows. This place was an unexpected and lovely discovery.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank pixie1
Reviewed March 23, 2011

Last night we went to the Ryles Arms on a whim for diner and thoroughly enjoyed the food which was well presented and tasted great. The exception was the vegetables which were basic and a little tasteless. A shame since the rest was excellent and the service was very friendly and polite. Overall a very good experience and a very reasonable price for starters and main course for 2 with a bottle of good wine. Just over £50!!! Not sure about the décor or what it was trying to be but this is a minor point and took nothing away from the enjoyment of the evening.

Well done to the owners and the chef. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank simonnanne
Reviewed December 8, 2010

I only stayed at the Ryles Arms for one night, but enjoyed an outstanding English breakfast, comfortable accommodation (perfect pillow) and a mouth-wateringly exellent aged steak!!!

The staff were so very friendly and helpful and the views and surrounding countryside just breathtaking.

I will certainly stay at the Ryles again on my next visit to the area.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank MrCJohannesburg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Macclesfield
Travelodge Macclesfield Central
The Palace Hotel
The Palace Hotel
#6 of 9 in Buxton
Premier Inn Macclesfield South West Hotel

Been to The Ryles Arms? Share your experiences!