“Excellent food and service :-D” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Salt Bar

The Salt Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
The Salt Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 204 Restaurants in Macclesfield
Cuisines: European, Scandinavian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Dining on a budget, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The Salt Bar is less than a five minute walk from Macclesfield Train station, on the historic cobbles of the Castle Quarter. We serve Scandinavian style food and drink, local real ales, good wine, tea and coffee in an intimate and cosy atmosphere. Open for lunch Tuesday-Friday 11:30-14:00, Saturday 11:30-17:00, Treacle Sunday 10:00-15:00 Open for dinner Tuesday-Friday 17:30-21:00 & Saturday 17:00-21:30.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food and service :-D”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

The food was delicious my mother and I would highly recommend, we went in fot lunch and will be booking in for an evening with friends as it is the perfect place for a dinner. Elvis was a great waiter, very friendly and made us feel very welcome :-)

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank amybrookes88

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Superb food and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

I don't normally leave reviews but a recent trip to Salt has changed that. Not only was the food of a consistently high standard throughout (I recommend the traditional Meat Balls by the way-yum!) but the service from Elvis made myself and my partner feel most at home, important and very very special. His recommendation of a Scandinavian Pop Cocktail was spot on and set the whole evening up on the right foot.

Bravo Salt-a new venture-would definitely recommend a trip there

1 Thank Ben A
Runcorn, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic Bar and Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Lovely Food, lovely atmosphere and Lovely staff especially Elvis who looked after our every need. Well worth a visit

1 Thank Wendy S
Maccbean, Owner at The Salt Bar, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. Elvis is a star, who loves to engage with the customers. He'll appreciate your comments.
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“Yum!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

I live locally but I have waited a while to visit. Had a lovely lunch today and the food is really good. I'm looking forward to going back. I had meatballs on toast with cheese and beet root salad (double yum) and then Apple pie which was the best I've tasted! Also really great coffee and nice attentive service.

1 Thank Sophs37
Maccbean, Owner at The Salt Bar, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. The meatballs on toast is my personal favourite, it's such a colourful dish. Glad you enjoyed the coffee too, as it's Illy and we think its the best you can buy!
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Came across this place one Sunday afternoon and thought it a bit quirky and different so went in. Quiet, but good atmosphere, friendly waiting/ bar staff. So far so good. Families enjoying a sunday afternoon treat....that's good too. Local beers on sale...excellent. We chose the traditional meatballs. Nothing spectacular, and the plates were cold. The food soon became cold as well so we had to wolf our food down! When I say the plates should be warm, I don't mean skin blisteringly so (health and safety) but slightly warmer than a scandanavian winter would have done the job! It was all down hill from there. With the arrival of more clients, it soon became cliquey, as they took over the bar braying loudly to the owner/manager. I didn't like the way the owner/manager spoke to a member of staff, so we paid up and left. A shame because 1st impressions were obviously deceiving. I don't think we'll be going back! Average rating due to the fact that it is a new business and a poor rating might do damage.

Maccbean, Owner at The Salt Bar, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review. I'm sorry that your meals were served on cold plates. I think the day you came was Treacle Market and whilst we expected it to be busy, it took us completely by surprise at how busy it would be. Consequently they were not able to heat the plates up as quickly as they should. I will of course, pass your comments onto our chef to avoid this happening again.

I only have the utmost respect for my staff who are extremely hardworking which I appreciate. I can only assume that what you heard was banter between colleagues. It certainly wouldn't have been anything else.

The group of people at the bar have been in a couple of times and were being friendly. Salt is not a formal restaurant, it's a bar with food. Why, as a bar owner, would I not encourage people to come and have a good time?