“Lovely refurb and great meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Blacksmith's Arms

Blacksmith's Arms
Ranked #65 of 204 Restaurants in Macclesfield
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Kids, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cheshire
“Lovely refurb and great meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

This was our first visit to The Blackmiths's Arms since the refurb and we really liked the result. The staff were very friendly and helpful (for example quickly offering bread to a hungry toddler at a nearby table). Prices were ok and the portions were generous. Our choices were the beef and red wine pie and the gourmet burger both of which were very tasty. I liked the change to old style crockery (including ice cream served in a cup and saucer) and nice coffee too.
Like most other places they had advertising for meals at Christmas and we plan to return with the family nearer the time.

Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“What has happened?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

What a lovely pub, and some of the staff seem to be working hard, but wow - the prices...£4+ a pint for bitter???? Menu seems very basic and very,very expensive.Lowest price dish £10 for fish and chips??? I used to love coming here - we have had Birthdays and Christenings and even a funeral! Oh dear! No one in pub and manager apologising for the prices... I really don't know what's happened. Can't recommend this pub at all - used to be a very pleasant place with lovely beer garden. Perhaps call back next summer.
"sorry it didn't meet your expectations" is so corporate it's boring :o)

• Visited October 2013
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Blacksmith's Arms, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear E J

Thank you for providing us with your review

I can confirm that I have passed on your comments about your visit to the management team and to the Area Manager of the Blacksmiths Arms who would like to thank you for your feedback and to let you know that they have taken your feedback on board and passed it to the relevant teams.

We do hope to see you soon in Blacksmiths Arms soon.

Kind regards,

Chef & Brewer
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Have just been to this pub and I can't believe the comment below!!! It's as if they must be talking about a different place!!! On arrival I was greeted by happy smily faces nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff at all!! I had a lovely time while I was there and the new refurb looks amazing and so much more professional. I work in a 4* hotel myself and the tables look like the ones in my restaurant!! They have really made this pub a lovely place to eat and drink!! I would like to say a big thank you to Jo, she made us feel really welcome when we were there and she waited on our every need she's a credit to the team!! I would 100% visit again. I just hope the comment below doesn't put people off because I honestly didn't see any of the things mentioned and we spent about 3 hours there!!!

Bristol, UK
“Great Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

The Blacksmith's Arms is a big pub just outside Macclesfield and is part of the Chef and Brewer organisation. We arrived at about 1pm and were given a friendly welcome and served extremely good local ales.

We sat near a window and were given the A4-size menus. Prices were ok (steaks £10-£16) and there was enough on there to choose from. If you are there before 5pm Mon to Sat you can choose from the Pub Favourites section which has about 6 dishes to choose from at £6 each. We picked Fish and Chips and 6oz Rump Steak Burger from this section and both proved to be delicious and exceptional value for money.

We will definitely visit again when next in the area

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing and Unsatisfactory”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Having eaten at the blacksmiths arms over the last 15 years as a child and now as an adult the service and food has usually been remarkable and the menu has seen changes but of recent it's shockingly bad. The night we dined was during the week, to avoid busy times and to ensure a better quality of food and service. We arrived mid evening to be greeted by a scruffy attired male member of staff behind the bar. When looking at his name badge he was in fact a senior member of the team. Seated on the opposite side of the room next to the door and window we were handed A4 style menus, front and back and told someone would come and take our order very shortly. The menu has been drastically down scaled from the last time we visited and lacks any wow factor to be frank. Deciding upon the steaks and a gammon we wait patiently. Three younger members of staff are doing menial tasks like wiping the menus and folding cutlery. We waited longer. Almost ten minutes had passed before I stood up to grab one of the staff members attention, they then proceeded to have a micro discussion, not too quietly, on who's turn it was to take the orders. Bad start. I then ask what the difference is between 'a topper' and 'a sauce' to which the waitress replied

"how should I know, do you want me to ask?".

Sigh, this is when I knew things had changed at the blacksmiths. I wasn't looking forward to the food.

It came out and I had to send the gammon steak straight back, it was undercooked and the side orders we placed, to compliment the meals, had been kindly shared out , by the chef, onto all three of our plates evenly when they were three completely separate orders! So after playing pass the onion ring and swap the vegetables, we left the food, left the premises without an apology or a reduction in the bill and we shall not return in the near future.

• Visited September 2013
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Blacksmith's Arms, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear OneHungryGuy

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Blacksmiths Arms in regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards