“Smarter than your average pub”
Review of Blacksmith's Arms

Blacksmith's Arms
Ranked #66 of 206 Restaurants in Macclesfield
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I visited The Blacksmiths early one evening. It was not particularly busy. I was most impressed by the staff. I was welcomed as soon as I stepped through the door! It was lovely and warm (it was freezing outside) and had a great feeling to the place. I had a simple meal of fish and chips and a pint of beer which was all faultless. Considering how much it costs to buy fish and chips standing in a line down at the Chippy this was excellent value at under a tenner. I certainly recommend The Blacksmiths.

There are newer reviews for Blacksmith's Arms

Reviewed February 8, 2013

We had the specials menu and we ordered the bubble and squeak for the starter, also the crispy prawns. Mains included brewer chicken, chicken salad and beef burger. Starters were ok but the main meals were over cooked. I couldn't get my knife through my chicken and the burger was hard and dry. It's a shame because the staff are brilliant and there's a nice atmosphere in the restaurant.

Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Blacksmith's Arms, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Dear Christe,

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise about the level of food you received at the Blacksmiths Arms. I have passed on your comments to our management team and have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Chef & Brewer

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I've had sunday lunch here once before and was pleasantly surprised not only by the food but by the warm reception from the attentitive staff who were, unlike many pub/restaurants today, not in short supply. Unfortunately the repeated performance I had hoped for turned out to be something of a flop. I ordered the rib of beef - a dish I have order many times before in other eating establishments - and was very disappointed to discover that the portion consisted of 65% fat and bone. When we were asked if all was to our satisfaction I mentioned my dissatisfaction to the waiter and was offered a replacement but declined as my wife had nearly finished her meal. The beef, what there was of it, was very tasty as was the rest of the meal. My gripe I suppose is that a meal like that should never have left the kitchen. I would still recommend the restaurant but with the caveat that you stay away from the rib of beef until they learn to serve it correctly. I feel somewhat petty writing this review but if nothing is ever said then the same old same old continues.
I will give it a while before I entertain dining there again as sunday lunch is becoming something of a rare treat these days and I want it to be enjoyable.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Chef and Brewer Public House and Restaurant Chain. Staff tried very hard and succeeded. I arrived early one very cold winter evening and was given a table particularly in a warmer quiet area. Rump steak [7oz] £9, side salad £1.99, Orange juice £1.70. All fine. Clean carpets and loos, etc.

1  Thank PYAshington
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Three of us went this lunchtime, it was half full, we found a good table and the drinks were soon served. The table had been cleaned but it was tacky around the condiments. We all ordered rump steak, to be cooked medium, but no blood. I wanted an egg as well to be told they had run out of eggs! All our steaks were dry and the chips were only warm and limp. We should have complained but we were starving. We have been here quite a few times before and really enjoyed the very same meal, so I think it depends on whose cooking on that day, so as I have said, its pot luck, very inconsistent.

Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Blacksmith's Arms, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Dear Linda B,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review, we are sorry to hear that your visit was not to our normal standards.

We have passed your comments to our management team asking them to investigate your experience, we have also sent you a direct message to discuss your review further.

Regards