“Good location but slow service”
Review of The Windmill Inn

The Windmill Inn
Ranked #31 of 216 Restaurants in Macclesfield
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Visited in a small group on a Sunday evening. The countryside location is attractive and the refurbished interior is clean and smart.
Menu was predictable but reasonable value with a fixed price 2/3 course choice. Although there were only a few other diners, the service was slow. With food this can be excused by "cooked from fresh" but waiting at table for quite a few minutes for your first drinks order on a warm evening is disappointing.
Good choice of real ales, friendly (but slow) service, clean loos.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Our trips 'up north' are suffused with large inns of the Windmill type. All have similar multiple rooms, similar musak and similar menus, although the Windmill's menu was more limited than most.

Food was certainly average, as per the overall rating. My 'ploughman's' main course was pretty anaemic and was served on a cracked wooden board (one never knows if these boards are properly clean or what might be hiding in the cracks!). Cheesy chips were fine. We had three different puddings, including a 'bomb' and a parfait and all tasted much the same - cold (I would guess that all were 'bought in'). Service was very good though.

There's plenty of garden and terrace space for those sunny Macclesfield days - 13th June and 4th August (sorry, old joke). Photo shows a motto on one of the false (I guess) beams in the bar.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

My partner and I ate at the Windmill as there is not exactly a glut of competition in the surrounding area. As a non meat eater the menu was very limited anyway, so I decided to order from the Market Menu, which at £13.00 was supposedly good value for money for two courses. The sweet potato soup was really tasteless, it was like a vital ingredient was missing and this was sent back. No apology was given or any kind of recompense. I was disgusted that I was not offered some kind of complimentary dessert as an apology for the starter. Just £3.00 taken from the menu. The main was very average. We ordered drinks and they never arrived and we had to ask again. The place was not busy at all, so cant understand the problem. To be honest, I have heard a lot of nice things about the Windmill, but I found the menu very limited (even for a non meat eater) and the service and food average. Wouldn't go back.

1  Thank Evelyn1234
TheWindmill_11, Owner at The Windmill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Sorry to hear of your dissappointment following your visit to The Windmill on Wednesday. I was working that particular day & was surprised to hear you didnt enjoy the soup of the day as we had sold many portions of soup that day with customers remarking how nice it was. If it is an issue of personal taste that you didnt like the soup, am I then to recompense you for that, I am uncertain. The waitress did deduct £3 from your bill as you didnt like the soup which meant you paid £10 for a Tuna steak which I think is reasonable. As concerns the drinks arriving late is was stated that we had to change a barrel hence the delays for the drinks. The 'limited menu' as you state is so because we are a fresh food site that buys nothing frozen & everything is made fresh on site. I feel that the review you posted is unfair as the main issue was that you didnt like the soup & everything we did for you following that was not good enough.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

We have been using the Windmill for a good few years now, and normally, the food is excellent. Sunday was obviously an off day! My daughter's chips had to be sent back, as they were dark brown and burnt. The replacements, which came quickly, were delicious, so why were burnt ones sent to us in the first place? Some of us had ordered roast ham, and some roast pork. Pork crackling and apple sauce were served with the roast ham, and none with the pork. This was a mistake, and was rectified when we pointed it out. We were served Yorkshire pudding with the roast pork. Unusual, and the Yorkshire pudding was tasteless. Also, the roast potatoes were tasteless. Not easy to make tasteless roast potatoes! The desserts when they came, were fabulous though, and the highlight of the meal. Sticky toffee pudding to die for!
Service was very good, with the waitress doing all she could to put the mistakes right. Was there someone new or inexperienced in the kitchen?
OK, so this was not a good visit. We will be back, as it is usually a great pub with good beers, lagers and great food. I'm sure that next time will be better!

TheWindmill_11, Owner at The Windmill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on this visit, I have spoken to the Chef to ensure that the issues you have raised will be resolved. I hope to see you again in the near future where we will exceed your expectations.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I like the Windmill, it's certainly my favourite of all the Bollington pubs. The recent make over looks great, the pub is a warm and relaxing place to be. The local beer tastes good and is very reasonably priced. On the other hand the food menu is somewhat limited, and not the cheapest either, the average main course is circa £16. Whilst the food quality is good, it feels a little like a pub trying to be a restaurant - It would be good to see a larger menu including some pub classics, for a lower price.

Thanks for the review, & glad to hear we are one of your favourite pubs in the area. We currently have many dishes under the £16 mark including the midweek offer of two courses for £13. The menu may seem limited because we make everything fresh onsite using fresh local ingredients. We do offer 12 main courses during the week supplemented by 3-4 specials at the weekend. We at The Windmill do take great pride in our food & hopefully offer something different than average pub grub. However we take your comments on board & will hopefully see you soon.