“Sometimes poor, sometimes very good!”

Legh Arms Adlington
Ranked #102 of 211 Restaurants in Macclesfield
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Somewhat akin to the 'curate's egg' this establishment can be good 'in parts' other times it can be terribly disappointing. We have been traumatised on a number of occasions in this eatery vowing never to return but then, as recently, have been tempted back by the £5.95 cavery one evening when we were just too tired to cook. The result being more than satisfactory which we find baffling. If they can get it right once why not all the time, or at least 90% of the time? One of the big problems with this place - as with many restaurant/pubs nowadays - is the ridiculously low staffing levels. The wait in between orders is pathetic and down to - as far as I am concerned - incompetent, penny pinching, management. Yes, they have to make a profit and yes it is hard with such competively priced meals - which they more than make up for it with the drink prices - but surely they could have backup staff who are available at short notice when things suddenly become busy. This place could be really great if the management were a little less complacent. One only has to read all the negative comments to realise that something is sorely amiss.

Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

On our way to shrigley hall we stopped at the legh arms for lunch biggest mistake my friends an I had ever made. I ordered the black pudding starter with my friend with "poached" egg hers was poached mine was fried I asked the waiter if he could change my fried egg for poached an was told it was poached, having been a chef myself for 20 years I think I would know the difference. He then returned to the kitchen and returned to our table with a pan supposedly to prove that an egg had poached. I sent my starter back untouched. We then had the carvery for main I asked the chef serving for beef he tried to serve me a tiny bit of then end of the old piece of beef that was left when I asked for a slice from the new piece I was told "NO"! Needless to say I went away from the legh arms more hungry than I went in. Also we waited 20 mins for our drink and a further 40 mins for the starters to come out (an hour in total and the place was nearly empty). On leaving my friends went to pay and had to pay cash as the card machine wasn't working one of my friends didn't have any cash on her and found it quite embarrasing that we had to pay for her meal. The veg on the carvery was freezing and old and the staff couldn't care less the customer service was the worse I've ever seen. Needless to say we will NEVER eat here again!

1  Thank Sharongl
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Thought we'd try the Legh Arms as wanted an early relaxed tea. The welcome was fine and drinks order taken straight away. We decided on the carvery and now wished we hadnt. The food had obviously been sat under the lights for a very very long time. I got the end of the lamb which was a bit grisly and the veg was poor as either dried out or sat in some sort of fluid. Whoever made the cheese sauce for the cauliflower needs to look at the receipe again as it was like watery milk sat at the bottom of the dish. Goodness knows what the leek thing was!!!! The gravy was barely warm and when I, very politely, pointed this out to the waitress on leaving suggesting it be warmed up she just shrugged. Obviously doesnt care. This was the worst meal I have had in a very long time. Yak!!

1  Thank jonseyjames
Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

Well I have been here before on a sunday for their tradtional carvery. Although I had to queue for over 30mins I thought I'd give it another try a few months later. I went on sunday 17 th march. Well firstly we were queuing like the sign said 'please wait to be seated'. We waited and waited and no one can. We kept looking around only to see tables piled high with dirty plates. The bar was littered with empty glasses and I think I saw 2staff. I went to the bar to ask if anyone was coming over. The girl just said that there was over an hours wait for food but if we wanted carvery then we could sit in the bar. I walked back over to my partner, now the queue was huge. Everyone was looking around and wondering what to do. A man from the queue then asked another staff member who basically said there's no room and we havent the time so please leave. So we did. It was shocking!!! No beyond shocking. Its supposed to be the home of carvery I.e quick, friendly, yummy food. More like dirty, poor service and no food. Please just don't bother to go. There's somr lovely pubs around. We went to the Butley Ash just down the road and it was fabulous.

1  Thank sassyNorthWest
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Very busy Sunday at 2.00pm but table for four booked in advance was ready for us. All chose carvery, despite 20 minute queue. Well worth the wait - the beef was excellent - good flavour and really tender. Our party also had pork and turkey which they enjoyed. Good range of vegetables and gravy. Reasonably priced wines by bottle or variable glass sizes.
Good menu in addition to carvery of starters, mains and desserts. Excellent service from friendly staff. Restaurant was very busy and maybe they could have used and additional chef to try to reduce the carvery queue (although there were two working flat out). We will definitely return.