All reviews cream tea afternoon tea evening meal glass of prosecco groupon deal lovely building entrance hall scones night break white nancy a living social deal compliments to the chef lick of paint christmas decorations a lovely stay the main house roaring fire
Selected filters
Reviewed June 30, 2017

We visited this hotel for a three night weekend in April, as participants in a largish group event. Sorry to say that we found the facilities disappointing on several levels. Fair play, its not expensive, but... The room was very small, and cramped. It was not possible for one person to sit down, while the other moved past, such is the proximity of the furniture. The restaurant booking was faulty, meaning we had to wait to be seated and fed. The food that was served however was excellent, well cooked and presented. Breakfast was a different story. For three days the buffet breakfast was cold. Don't take my word for it, ask the friends we were sitting with. I know buffets mean that people can just pig out, but frankly I'd prefer freshly cooked to order and how do I hate making my own toast in those stupid machines that don't work.
The staff are not motivated, nor happy. They are there to earn wages and go home. But the person who appears to be in charge seems to do precious little, just hovers around in a menacing manner, ready, and willing, to scold, so what can you expect. Oh, and there's the corridors, do you like excessive warmth, and an overwhelming pong of cheap air freshener. If you do, you'll enjoy it here.
Not impressed, won't be back

Date of stay: April 2017
1  Thank twostags
HollinMgt, Owner at Hollin Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2017

Dear twostags,

It seems much of your upset is derived from breakfast. I think you stayed during a period the hotel was everyday, meaning we had around 100 people for breakfast and the majority coming to eat between 9 and 10. So the buffet option is our best practical option to meet the demand.

I do note and take seriously your comments regarding breakfast and we have discussed ensuring good service standards and a more cheery approach to breakfast service. I also note your comments about the cold food, this is something I have only seen on Trip advisor once before, but either way it is just not acceptable and we need to figure out exactly how we can eradicate this from ever happening.

We do have larger rooms and generally guests find the rooms are of a good enough size for our standard rooms. We do have superior and premier rooms that are bigger.
We will look at and check the room layouts to ensure we aren't creating a bottleneck.

Many thanks fir taking the time to write your review.
Best wishes

Reviewed June 29, 2017 via mobile

Nice place but needs sorting ...the back and sides of this hotel are like a council squat.
Food was great though and staff on the door are limited in educational skills and devoid of speech.....if i say thank you to them and im the guest...the least they could do is reply...even if its to say i dont really want to be here and i dont really want this job !
Really nice night porter though...if the front of house took a leaf out of his book the hotel would be great ...but thats what you get when you employ kids with no hotel experience at your reception ( Id even go to say that id bet the kids on reception have never even been in another hotel let alone stayed in one....Rant over!

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Dear Ed B,

We have changed our recruitment policy as we could see we weren't making progress in this area. We know this aspect of the guest experience is improving greatly and please accept my apologies for any grumpiness or inexperience shown to you.

Regarding your comments about the hotel looking like a council squat - That is grossly unfair and you know you would have had to go around the sides of the hotel to see behind the scenes. If all you want to see is the back and sides of a hotel then why go stay in a beautiful 1850's house with marble pillars, Adams fireplace, original plasterwork and a lovely bright restaurant and very pleasant bar area?

I think and hope that if you had received better service you may have forgiven us for not repainting the side of the hotel and perhaps you would have remembered the many excellent features.

I hope we get the chance to change your perspective of the hotel.
Many thanks for the review it helps inform us of our progress.
All the best

Reviewed June 28, 2017

My wife and I had a one night stay while visiting a couple of National Trust properties in the area and it was a perfect location for this. The hotel is a beautiful place and we had room no. 31 which was on a below, neighbouring ground level, staring out at a lime green brick walled alleyway; it would be nice if someone actually painted some nice scenes(murals) on this wall to make the view more acceptable. The room was really nice, comfortable, bar extremely comfortable and the drinks not too expensive as hotels go. We had a 3 course evening meal and it was one of the best meals that I have had and also some nice Australian shiraz; really tasty!
The English breakfast was great but my wife is a vegetarian and she likes toast and fruit but this hotel as like many others could put a bit more variety of fruit available.
The bar and restaurant staff were quite friendly and bubbly but the breakfast staff seemed very subdued and nonchalant.
The only thing that really spoilt our stay was a returning "Hen Party" at 3 am and lets say that "HEN" describes the noise from the neighbouring rooms. I love people to enjoy themselves and have a great time but please, you've had a great night out, try and show some consideration for other hotel guests at 3 am in the morning.
Hotels must be aware of such parties taking place so it would be nice if they also showed some consideration when allocating rooms to guests during these occasions. I would advise people, if they are staying at hotels at weekends, to ask if there are any such celebrations going on, then please allocate me a room away from this area. after all, you are a paying guest and you are expecting a good night's sleep.

Room tip: Say that you want a room with a nice view and not a green brick wall. Also ask for a room away from any kind of weekend party goers.
1  Thank Kunzel40

Dear Kunzel40,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a detailed review and for the 4 stars. Given the disturbed sleep you clearly did not let that stop you from having a good relaxing time.

We have discussed with the breakfast team that whilst it is an early start, every day that a cheery disposition helps the time tick along and sends off our clients with a cheery hearty breakfast meal.

We do not always know why guests are staying and what activities they may get involved with. I do note that room 31 is a little closer to the party room than I would have liked, if we had an event on that night. So perhaps we didn't know about it.
We are happy to step in ask guests to control themselves when they are making too much noise, should anything like that happen again do let the reception know and they will get involved.

Many thanks again and regards

Reviewed June 27, 2017 via mobile

I attended a wedding and stayed overnight at this hotel. I have no idea how much the bride & groom payed so I can't comment on their value for money.
Firstly the good things, the food was very tasty and plentiful and the bar served a fair selection of drinks at reasonable prices.
However the hotel (particularly the room for the ceremony) looked like it hadn't seen a hoover for quite some time. The room we were in had had a token wipe round but was not particularly clean. The decor was a bit shabby generally around the place and even the metal structure in the grounds used for the wedding photos was rusty and needed a coat of paint !
Overall it just needs a bit of TLC.

Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear Sharky854,

I don't understand why the room for the ceremony appeared not to be hoovered, that does not make sense to us. We always do a walk round and visual check before any events.
We have mainly been spending any profits back in the bedrooms in recent months, so the pagoda hasn't had any attention since we purchased the hotel last year.

I guess your comments help move this up the list.
The hotel is a bit Forth Road bridge like, but I think we are getting on top of the interior decorating now.

Many thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

Regards

Reviewed June 24, 2017

My husband and I went with my sister and brother in law on a Wowcher deal. It was very good value for money. The dining room was very nice and the food was excellent. The room was very nice, however there is no towel rail in the bathroom, no heating at all. Think the bathroom would be rather cold in the cooler months. . Some of the hallways and staircases need upgrading, they were very 60s in a Victoria building. The staff were very friendly but not really very experienced and need more training ie
We asked the young man on reception how to ring from room to room, he obviously had no idea, gave us a couple of things to try, but that didn't work.
I asked for a white zinfandel with my dinner, they do not stock it, I asked for a Pimms after dinner and although they had a bottle behind the bar no one knew how to make one.
At dinner we ordered fudge brownies, which were the nicest ever however we were told they had no vanilla ice cream, we had to cheese between strawberry, chocolate or toffee.
Quality control needs to be looked at as a lot of the breakfast plates were dirty with baked on egg etc.

1  Thank USAdreaming

Dear USAdreaming,

Many thanks for your 4 star review and helpful comments.
We know we will always have plenty of work to do in this area and we are putting more resource into training as this has been a theme in reviews from time to time. I really appreciate that it didn't distract from your enjoyment but a bit more experience and training can go a long way.

Many thanks and best wishes