“Awesome setting....but”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Normally when it says the owners are Brunning & Price its going to be good...guaranteed. The location is totally exceptional. A family Hall converted at huge expense to give a jaw dropping venue where you feel sure it's going to delight. The service was friendly, fast and effective. The food was ...... not bad. But it sooooooo should have been better. When you order Shoulder of Lamb, then leg is not what you expect to get. The Risotto that was ordered was later deemed to be sold out, then we watch 30 minutes later, as another table had the same problem. Where's the communication from kitchen to front of house?

Their website tells the whole story. Under the section, job vacancies are many key personnel required. They are desperately short of experienced management in the kitchen and F o H. They need to resolve this and fast. The locals drinking at the bar kept handing out advice on better restaurants in the area to dine in. Is this B & P beginning to unravel due to lack of central control?

1  Thank Andygranada

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Visited recently having been many times before. If TA offered a "good" rating I would go for that, "average" seems a bit harsh, but "very good" it isn'y quite.
We visited with family as I often think Sutton Hall is a bit of a safe bet, it is a nice pub in pretty surroundings with decent enough food. However, there always seems to be a little something lacking for the prices that are charged.
The service is often friendly but never especially quick, a two course meal for six took us well over two hours...
The food is always nice and this visit was no exception. The only comment would be that the chips were soggy, not quite what you expect from gastropub chips?
Also, the desserts were a real let down - the waffles were supposed to come with honeycomb ice cream and I imagined something like Sylks in Macclesfield serve. No. It was vanilla ice cream with a smattering (blink and you miss it) of crushed honeycomb on top - not as decribed and it was pretty much entirely melted by the time it reached the table :-(
The treacle tart was supposed to come with lemon sorbet and other such citrus bits. When it arrived? You guessed it - vanilla ice cream. But at least that wasn't melted.
I would understand this if the staff had explained the reasons why what we ordered didn't come as decsribed, but nothing. Maybe they thoguht we couldn't read the menu as advertised?
At coffee my mum didn't order any and when ours arrived I asked her why she hadn't and she reminded me that she could only have soy milk. Having asked a member of staff if they could provide soy milk for a soy milk latte she said she would check. Only, she never came back. If the answer is no isn't it common decency to tell us?

Anyway, those are my thoughts, The food quality here is good, the bar staff are friendly and the odd waiting staff are friendly too (there was one guy in particular that stood out) however, there are regular silly mistakes that make me begrudge the bill when it arrives. Having eaten here many times and the silly mistakes always being the same I thought I would finally get round to writing a review.

Would I recommend the place? Yes, for the right situation. Is it where I would head for ease? Yes. Is it where I would head for a really GOOD meal and experience? No, I am afraid not as it stands.

2  Thank Vixster722
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

We recently held my mum's birthday meal here, which was a big group booking. The service was brilliant, the staff couldn't do enough for us. The food was really great, everyone enjoyed their meal and had a great time. And the place is beautiful, a really interesting and lovely old building.

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful food, service, and atmosphere. Classic yet unique style pub/restaurant set in a beautiful quiet location .

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Went for lunch here today, and have to say I was pretty disappointed overall.
I have been in the past and it was better. Hoping today was just a blip.
The service was friendly but very slow, from orders being taken, to delivery of food(mains and desserts) took far too long considering it wasn't terribly busy with people eating.
The food was very average when it arrived. My main looked like it had been sat a while waiting to be served, and the dessert I had wasn't great either.
I noticed a couple in the area I sat in, were brought the wrong meals and had to wait some time for what they actually ordered. They left most of it and didn't look impressed when they left hastily.
Considering the prices seem to have increased I think standards have dropped quite a lot based upon today's experience. Nice place for a drink but that's about it if it doesn't improve.
Shame as it's a lovely venue.